AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...

After many many moons of lurking I finally felt compelled to start a build thread on our basement. Our house is 1 year 8 months young and came with the standard bland concrete slab. Being our 1st house my wife was very apprehensive about building our entire basement into livable space. I finally convinced her after telling her I'd be hiring a designer.I hired a designer I found online about 4 months after we moved in. Here's the original design....

We wanted a bedroom/bathroom, tv area for the kids,computer area, and dedicated theater. I think the designer squeezed everything in just right considering support beams and plumbing stacks. Here's some before pics....

The future screen wall....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We finally started framing last December. I hired a friend of my neighbor who was out of work at the time. I took over the framing duties after he built the bedroom and part of the family room.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drywall going up...

(2 weeks ago)

My friend T schooled me on hanging drywall. He's been doing it for 10 years.

My electrician and neighbor Jim. Saved me a bundle.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
This is certainly some fast progress. Did you hire out all the work or did you do it all yourself. I ask only because you mention your friend doing the drywall but you also have a designer...unless of course I missed where you told us the answer already. Keep it up, that space looks great

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for looking! This has been a 9 month journey so far. I personally did 75% of the framing and insulation. I hired a plumber, electrician (my neighbor), drywall hanger and drywall taper.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Nice work. I agree that the basement design looks like a really good use of space. Keep it up and keep the pics coming.

Perhaps the rendering has the rear seats against the wall just by coincidence. But, you may want to keep in mind that the riser seats will have better surround sound away from the back wall. That consideration will come in handy when deciding on seating distances, riser size, screen size, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie /forum/post/16946943

Nice work. I agree that the basement design looks like a really good use of space. Keep it up and keep the pics coming.

Perhaps the rendering has the rear seats against the wall just by coincidence. But, you may want to keep in mind that the riser seats will have better surround sound away from the back wall. That consideration will come in handy when deciding on seating distances, riser size, screen size, etc.

Good luck.

I never had the designer move them but they'll be off the wall by about 24" or so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't done much in the past 8 weeks. I have the theater primed but I'm looking for a good sketchup artist to render it for me. I'm just about finished tiling though. I can see the finish line.

Getting there.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.