AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any one who has struggled with getting their G10 picture quality where they like it.....

I have a 42G10, panny blue ray, hdmi connections, digital cable direct to the tv.

Two questions: did you ever get your set calibrated professionally and if so, did it make a big difference? And, do you notice any big difference with either contrast or sharpness settings say, between 65 and 90.

I usually set both contrast and sharpness by taking them to a level that is obviously too much and then tweaking them down. On my G10, I can not get to the "too much" point...I've tried THX Optimizer and the DVD download on AVS, but it's like the tv won't let me go too high.

I just had a buffer board replaced and the repair shop left a 3 year old panny 42pd50u with me for a week. It was a breeze to set up with a picture that worked well for us and it was sharper and clearer than the repaired G10. I find that I am constantly fiddling with the G10 settings, yet the loaner was a set it and forget it experience.

Any thoughts or experiences you have had would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Set contrast to around 75 and run your set in anything but Vivid mode for 50 or so hours. Its pointless to do any calibrating prior to "burning the set in."

After that use the THX optimizer or any other calibration disc to set up your panel.

Your experience with the contrast setting is normal for these sets (and other plasmas) The best advice is to play a good DVD and watch the brightest hi-lites. If they are discolored reduce contrast till the color cast is eliminated.

As to sharpness. In my opinion ANY digital image needs sharpening. However it MUST be subtle. You can use a test pattern to set it. Simply reduce the panels sharpening level till the white fringe "ringing" around the black lines disappears.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmastro426 /forum/post/18260043

To any one who has struggled with getting their G10 picture quality where they like it.....

I have a 42G10, panny blue ray, hdmi connections, digital cable direct to the tv.

Two questions: did you ever get your set calibrated professionally and if so, did it make a big difference? And, do you notice any big difference with either contrast or sharpness settings say, between 65 and 90.

I usually set both contrast and sharpness by taking them to a level that is obviously too much and then tweaking them down. On my G10, I can not get to the "too much" point...I've tried THX Optimizer and the DVD download on AVS, but it's like the tv won't let me go too high.

I just had a buffer board replaced and the repair shop left a 3 year old panny 42pd50u with me for a week. It was a breeze to set up with a picture that worked well for us and it was sharper and clearer than the repaired G10. I find that I am constantly fiddling with the G10 settings, yet the loaner was a set it and forget it experience. Any thoughts or experiences you have had would be appreciated. Thanks.

That 42PD50U is actually an early 2005 model, and it's only an ED set - it scales everything to it's native 480p screen resolution. The pixels on that old beast are huge compared to the pixels on your G10 and they let a lot of light through those cells. 480p ED sets do look sharper than 1080p sets on first glance, but they have poor edge detail and a sort of digitized picture quality compared to the smooth natural image of a good 1080p Panny.

Another issue is that your cable provider's signal is probably not very good and the more accurate G10 is exposing the flaws in the signal more than the old 480p set which isn't so finicky about signal quality. A good TV needs a good signal.

Try my G10 Custom Mode settings below for your digital cable signal and see how it looks to you. I presume you're getting just basic cable from the wall (no HD Cable Box) but can have you tried getting any local digital channels over an antenna? The local channels usually look better over an antenna than they do through cable and comparing them would give you a better idea if the poor picture you're getting is because of the cable signal quality or not.

When someone has basic cable from the wall yet are able to get all their local digital and "HD" channels over an antenna, i usually recommend they use an old VCR connected via Composite Video as a basic cable tuner to tune in all the basic analog cable channels (CNN, ESPN, Spike, Comedy, etc), but use an antenna to pull in all the local HD programming over the air. The basic cable channels will still look the same, but the locals will look better over antenna, and you get more local digical channels over antenna than through cable.

Here's my G10 settings for Antenna and Cable:

Input/Source: HDMI-1 for OTA HD TV and TWC HD Cable, on a Tivo Series 3 HD DVR:

Picture Mode: Custom

Contrast: +81

Bright: +45

Color: +48

Tint: 0

Sharp: +50

Color Temp: Warm 2

Color Mgmt: Off

x.v. Color: Auto

CATS: Off

Video NR: Weak

3D Y/C Filter: Grayed Out - OFF

Color Matrix: Grayed Out - HD

Block NR: Off

Mosquito NR: Off

Black Level: Light

3:2 Pulldown: On

24p Direct In: Grayed Out - 60Hz

HD Size: Size 2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Randy. I'll give your settings a go. We are cable box to tv and get local channels and a few others in HD. With the exception of ABC HD, the local hd channels are enjoyable. The channels that typically don't look good are the non hd major network affiliate stations, espn, nick.

I guess the blu ray and hd reception proves the G10 is capable of a great picture, but like you said, the cable quality can be an issue that the older tv didn't have the capability to display.

Thanks for the post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts