AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the unfortunate distinction of owning a G1000 that is old enough to not be fully supported by Dilard. It is missing certain commands that Dilard uses to access the internal scaler source areas.

It is my understanding that Mark Foster made certain of his mods publicly available. I am looking for the "4:3 inside 16:9 on YC" mod.

Any help in locating the above mod would be _very_ warmly welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Mark or Mike,

Can you expand on the nature of this problem, or better yet, which version(s) of the G1000 have this problem?.

You see, I am about to get a moderately used G1000.

Thanks.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by midi-guy (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too have a dukane 9000. How would we know if dilard will work? I am nterested in buying it so I can DIY calibration when I invert the old beast in my new room.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have nothing to offer as to which early G1000s are incompatible with Dilard's Back-Up wizard.

I can tell you that my G1000 does not natively accept 720p. My guess is that the later version G1000s (the ones that include an actual 720p choice on the Source menu) are better bets for full Dilard compatibility.

Note that it may be possible to write a VB script in Dilard (which would run as a macro) to automate switching input/source combinations, thereby creating a set of individual backups. This idea is as yet untested, because I have only the demo version of Dilard to work with at this point.

The bad news is that there is no apparent workaround to allow creation of the nicely-formatted html-based backup report.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have an early G1000 or equivalent, you can test for full compatibility with Dilard by downloading the demo version and attempting to run the Backup Wizard. If the resulting report is mostly filled with zeros, then standby access to the required scaler source areas has failed.

I would think much of this, if widespread, would have come to light much earlier when the Mark Foster mods were being applied. So my guess would be that only a very few early units are incompatible.

Note that my unit is Hughes/JVC G1000 branded.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
As a point of reference, I am able to count exactly one projector (this one) that doesn't support standby modifications.

As Mike mentioned, an easy test is to download the free Dilard trial and back-up your projector. If the 44 Source Areas have a Zero (0) for the "SRR" setting, your projector does not support standby "mods", but may still support the same mods with the projector on.

The SRR setting should always be the number Four (4), no matter if it is from the factory, or has been modified.

That is the quickest test, and it's free.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have some bad news for you. The Mark Foster mods will not work for your projector, since your projector can't modify the source areas while the projector is in standby mode. The Mark Foster mods only work in standby mode, unfortunately.

Dilard does work in standby mode for most projectors, but I don't think that many people use it like that. Instead, it is much more convenient to do the modifications while the projector is on, so you can see what you are are doing. This is much more work from the programming side, but much easier to use for the person doing the modification.

Dilard abstracts the difference, by re-using the same UI whether you are modifying in standby mode or with the projector on. To the user, there is no difference.

Because your projector doesn't know how to do a mod with the projector in standby mode, you won't be able to do that with Dilard or the MF mods, but still should be able to do it with Dilard if the projector is ON.

The biggest downside is that the Back-Up Wizard won't be able to back-up your projector's Areas before modification. However, the Image Geometry Wizard itself can back up the setting while the projector is ON (with a few dozen commands instead of one).

Just thought I'd let you know.

Mark

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mike,

A QuadScan Elite (or Pro) will allow you to place 4:3 inside 16:9 and you get the benefit of scaling.

------------------

Irv Kelman

We are THX Certified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.