AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a g1000 clone (the panasonic pt-995u). It's become increasingly difficult to start the lamp (I've tried a new lamp, so it's not that). The projector "clicks" a couple of times & then either ignites or goes into failure mode. I then need to pull the plug and retry. Any suggestions about where to send it for repair? I'm a little unsure of just sending it to Panasonic, since they don't seem to even want to admit that this projector ever existed.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kodell
since they don't seem to even want to admit that this projector ever existed.
Why? Its the best thing they have ever put their name on!

Kevin, update your sig to show where you live this helps people help you! especially for HDTV issues.

you probably have a bad connection. Turning up the power pot usually alleviates this. If you are pretty handy we can tell you how to do it. Or you can search here for "power pot" and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Be careful High voltage!

Or try JVC digital.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin, Tryg:

Ok - I'll try turning up the gain ... I had wondered about that, but I assumed that this really only controlled the current in the normal operating state & then the ignition phase different (i.e. a high voltage pulse was necessary).

Kevin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This seems to be the right idea. I'm not sure that I've got the power adjustment pot set correctly (I didn't quite have the courage to try measuring the voltage after the lamp lit as Kevin described in an earlier post, so I just turned it slightly counter-clockwise), so I may need to try tweaking it again at some future date. Clockwise made the problem worse; it sparks in a couple of components near a coil on one of the high voltage circuit boards, making the clicking sound. Turning it counter-clockwise gets to a point where nothing happens.

I had some trouble figuring out exactly which circuit board was being discussed here - it's in a sheet metal enclosure on the top, front of projector on side opposite the inputs/controls. I had expected that it would be closer to the line voltage input. (This may only apply to G1000 clones?). When you first open this thing up it's pretty intimidating & I ended up taking more apart then I really needed to. Next time it'll be much easier. If anyone is interested, I could post a more detailed description (or is all this obvious to everyone but me?). I know there was some earlier interest in doing this procedure for non-standard lamps.

I really appreciate the help I've gotten from Kevin Gilmore & Tryge.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I have the exact same projector (Panasonic), and the same problem (as well as two other problems: a dust blob in the projector that has been there since day one, and the COM voltages are set a little high, causing the burn-in type effect to appear temporarily)

I want to send it to Panasonic to have a look at all three problems, especially because its still under warranty. But I have the same reservations - Does Panasonic even know how to deal with these projectors?

Andy K.

·
Registered
755 Posts
"Does Panasonic even know how to deal with these projectors?"

If Panasonic is anything like Proxima, then they won't have a clue. I have a Proxima AV-SX1 (G1000 clone) which recently blew the lamp power supply. When I spoke to the local Proxima service centre they first had problems finding the model in their database, and then told me they would have to ship it to Proxima America for repairs (who would then ship it to JVC America under their OEM agreement).

The local JVC service centre was more helpful, but was backlogged for three weeks and expected it would take one to six months for JVC Canada to get the parts from JVC Japan (apparently JVC Canada doesn't talk to JVC America, who has the parts in stock).

Trying to talk to JVC Canada directly is an exercise in frustration. I think they just have a small sales office here behind their automated phone system maze.

I ended up ordering the parts from JVC America directly and installing it myself (with more than a little help from Kevin Gilmore.. thanks Kevin!).

Send me a PM if you need any contact information.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp
I have the exact same projector (Panasonic), and the same problem (as well as two other problems: a dust blob in the projector that has been there since day one, and the COM voltages are set a little high, causing the burn-in type effect to appear temporarily)

I want to send it to Panasonic to have a look at all three problems, especially because its still under warranty. But I have the same reservations - Does Panasonic even know how to deal with these projectors?

Andy K.
Andy,

If I were you I'd send it in, and quickly, to get the dust blob fixed. The only cure for this so far is to replace the optical block and that's not cheap. Get it done while it's still under warranty.

William

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Hi William,

Luckily for me I have just under 2 years of warranty left on it still, so I'm in no rush. I bought it as a dealer demo last year and, as such, it came with a full warranty.

However, I'm curious - When you say optical block does that include replacing the LCOS panels? I'm loathe to do that because the dust spot is not very noticable. It only shows up as a blue spot against black. Against any other color it doesnt even show.

I would hate to 'roll the dice' with another set of LCOS panels that could be worse (but still under Panasonic or JVC tolerance levels). Why couldnt they just open it up and try to use some compressed air to get rid of it?

My other concern is how Panasonic might react to calibration/Image Geometry changes I've made through DILARD. I can reset back to factory settings if necessary, but I would think that anything done to the projector through the RS-232 port could not be taken to violate the warranty, even if some of Dilard's commands are undocumented. Any thoughts?

David, you've got mail in a moment :) I wish I could do it myself, but if anything requires replacement then I would want that done under warranty...

Thanks,

Andy K.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Same problems here...I have a customer who has a Panasonic 995 which we changed the lamp on....and it won;t even fire up...the light blinks thats it....any ideas.....no sound at all when you turn on the power...

also I had a customer send in a Proxima SX1...he sent it in in his hard case.....well it came back 3 months later unrepaired and without the hardcase....we were promised a lamp....well we have never seen the lamp..and we had to send in the SX1 again to fix the probelm they didnt fix the first time....now they can;t even tell us its status and it been two months........what the heck is that

I am writing to INfocus presidenit.....

any other suggestions out there...??

Regards,

JOHN

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Talk about a scare story ... I'm going to make damned sure I can get my projector back in a reasonable amount of time...

William, any thoughts on what I mentioned above?

Thanks,

Andy K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.