AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thougth I would share my experiences with installing a WhisperFlow for my G11. Always loved the projector, but as everyone knows it is pretty loud. I originally installed it using a Chief mount with wall mount arm (now for sale in the classifieds). I used this instead of a hushbox since I am very close to the zoom limits and wasn't sure if the projector could be closer to the back wall.

Once I got my screen (118" wide GrayHawk) and did some measuring, it looked like Dave Beatty's WhisperFlow would work out - barely. He sent out the latest, greatest D-ILA offering, which has an intake fan on the right side and two exhaust fans on the top. I found some nice, heavy duty Stanley brackets at Home Depot and mounted one to a stud and the other with some Gorilla mounts. I actually pulled myself up with each to test them. And yes, I am heavier than the projector/box. After drilling some holes for power, video and fan cords, I was ready to go.

The WhisperFlow does indeed enhance the viewing pleasure with a D-ILA. It is certainly still audible, but it is now possible to watch movies without fiddling with the volume, either to boost up the dialog or ratchet down the explosions (yes I am married). The fans come with a variable voltage transformer which cuts their noise down a lot. I am still experimenting but have both set to 7.5 volts for now. Dave is going to send out some acoustic foam, as well as a baffle for the intake fan. I will try the foam on the exhaust side and I bet that will be about all I will want to do to additionally drop the noise level.

The options I got were the Edmund Scientific glass (which I siliconed in) and the PanaMorph shelf (yes I am an eternal optimist). I will post some new pictures once the lens comes and I finalize any additional soundproofing. For now, here is a link to some pictures. Couldn't quite figure out how to put them into the text... or attach one for that matter.

http://homepage.mac.com/jsnable/PhotoAlbum1.html

Jay

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Dave isn't fully "e-commerce" enabled, I think he builds them to order as well.

If you e-mail him through the website, I'm sure he'll get back to you.

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.