AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I cant take it anymore. I keep reading posts about calibrations by William and Cliff. I currently have a UNcalibrated G11U and am ready to see what a calibrated unit looks like.

I need suggestions: William or Cliff calibration? Are the calibrations about the same or are they quite different? How do I contact these guys to get on a schedule? I have been putting this off for some time now because I enjoy using my projector to much to due without for a shortwhile. I am ready to see what all the positive posts are about? Do you recommend that I get Dilard so I can save the calibration settings to file as soon as the projector returns?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I believe the service is identical (identical software and equipment used to do the calibration, and identical procedures).

Also, I believe the free demo version of DILARD allows you to make a backup of your settings, does it not?

Andy K.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Darren, Andy,

Without a license, you can do anything you wish with Dilard that doesn't permanently modify the projector. This *does* include backing it up and reporting on the settings.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Milori,

Would it be of benifit to purchase the Dilard software if I am going to have it calibrated? If I understand it correctly, Dilard will allow you to make several adjustments and save your proj. settings but is not a replacement to calibration as of yet. Could you please comment on this.

How do I contact these guys about calibration?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Darren,

Your best bet for a calibration today is William Phelps. His email address is: [email protected] .

Dilard does a few other things that a calibration doesn't cover, like automation, Image Geometry adjustments (mods) and a few similar things.

Dilard does not perform a calibration in the current released version, and won't for another couple of weeks.

To get a calibration today, I would have no hesitation in recommending William Phelps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was very pleased with the calibration service from Cliff Plavin . I prearranged this service with a planned business trip to New York/New Jersey . I carried the G-11 aboard the plane in a padded nylon case and placed it in the overhead compartment .Cliff was very careful to fully explain his calibration process and gave me detailed information on all the changes he made to the unit. Cliff actually finished the calibration in just a few hours and I was able to return home with the calibrated projector.The improvement in color balance and contrast was quite noticeable. The major benefits to me were; first class work , no lost time in using the home theatre , no UPS goons handling my projector and no shipping cost ! yours, Sand53

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the posts.

Milori, am i to understand that in the near future the Dilard software will be able to replace the calibrations offered by the above mentioned people. Will they be at or near the same end result in image quality. Could you please elaborate a little so I may better understand.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Darren,

Let me start by saying that you definitely should get Dilard. Sooner or later there will be something you will need it for.

As for whether DIY calibration using Dilard will be equal or better than a Cliff/William calibration, no one knows for sure yet. You can bet that that is exactly what Mark is shooting for. Keep in mind that Mark makes money by selling Dilard, and soon ColorFacts, and Cliff and William make money doing calibrations. There is some competition going on here, so you need to take that into consideration.

I can recommend the William/Cliff calibration %100. William calibrated my G11. I am fortunate enough to live close enough to him that for me it was a house call, however.

It will be very interesting in the coming months to find out how the Dilard+ColorFacts calibration compares with the professional calibrations. One thing for sure is that for all of us DILA owners, this competition can't hurt.

- Chris

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Mark, this is probably a stupid question, but that hasn't stopped me yet. What do you need to run the Dilard software? I don't have an HTPC, but I have a pretty good PC that I can hook up to my G-15 without too much hassle. I have a CD-ROM drive, but not a DVD-ROM drive. Also, how complicated is the Dilard software to use? If there is another thread that answers all these questsions, I apologize. Perhaps you can give me a link to some of the basic info on Dilard.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Darren,

The Dilard software should be a part of any DILA based system, IMO, calibrated Pj or not. Cliffs, Williams or Dilards calibration should be a must as well if you want the most out of your G11.

I've had my G11 a year without calibration. I was the last one on Richard Martins(a very respected DILA tweaker) list before he went into retirement. Missed it by that much. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

That was a big letdown, and it was then that I made the decision to wait for the new kid on the block, DILARD, as it had promise for a plethora of DILA enhancements for the now, and for the future. The final gamma calibration is obviously the(near)future.

In the meantime though, I've had more fun with Dilard than a barrel of Panamorphs, exercising darn near every internal limit the G.xx has to offer.

If you're into automation, or plan on getting into automating your G11 now or in the future, check out this Dilard macro:

Sub PlayMoviePDVD

' This macro ensures that the projector is on, dTV and Siren is off, then starts WinDVD.

Task.MoveCursorOffScreen

' Open the media door if not already loaded.

If Not Media.DiscPresent Then Media.Eject

' Close dTV and Siren.

' Turn the projector on, if it isn't already.

If Projector.OperationModeS = "Standby" Then

Projector.PowerOn

Projector.SelectComputer1

Projector.SourceAUTO

Task.RunApp "C:\\Program Files\\PowerStrip\\PStrip.exe /p:Startup"

Task.Pause 5

End If

' Pick the appropriate input and source area for the software DVD player.

' If you have custom 'mods' for this on a particular source area, you can select it here.

If Projector.OperationModeS = "Power On" Then

Projector.SelectComputer1

Task.RunApp "C:\\Program Files\\PowerStrip\\PStrip.exe /p:Startup"

End If

' Change to an application specific powerstrip resolution if desired as follows

' Look for media present

If Media.DiscPresent Then

' Open the PC DVD player PowerDVD

Task.RunApp "C:\\Program Files\\CyberLink\\PowerDVD\\PowerDVD.exe"

Task.Pause 1

Projector.OSDMessage "Lays Home Theater", vbYellow, 56

Task.Pause 4

Projector.OSDMessage "Hang On To Your Seats!", vbYellow, 56

'Fire it up!

Else

Projector.OSDMessage "Give Me a Movie to Play", vbYellow, 28

Task.Pause 5

Projector.OSDMessage "60 Seconds to Comply", vbRed, 26

End If

End Sub

This is what I use in conjunction with my Pronto to do a "one touch, sit down and watch a movie" action that dazzles the mind and gives your guests some of that wow factor that really makes for a true HT experience.

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Smitty,

You can use any computer you'd like to do 'mods or 'cals http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . You only need a full-time connection to do the HTPC automation stuff (like inserting a DVD and having the projector set up and the movie start...see Chris Lay's post above).

Chris,

Thanks!!

Darren, Andy, Chris -

See here for details.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark, thanks for all the info. I read your other post. This is very exciting news. I hope you are getting some sleep now. Anyway, I will keep my eyes out for your upcoming posts on the results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.