AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After viewing my JVC G15 for about 20 minutes, the bulb goes dark and the emergency light starts blinking. I could hear an "ignitor" type of clicking sound, like its trying to fire up the bulb.

At first, I thought it might be a bad bulb. I've since replaced it, but it still goes dark after about 20 minutes. Strangely, I'm not noticing the clicking noise anymore after it goes dark.

Now I'm guessing that it's overheating. Anyone have a better guess or a way to diagnose? I have Dilard - does it provide a way of getting a projector's error status?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check the temperature of the exhaust air. I have a Dukane 9015 which is the same projector rebadged. I had the same problem. Exhaust fans appeared to be working but the exhaust temp was extremely high. Sent it back to Dukane under warranty and they replaced one of the fans.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! What's up with JVC's customer support? I found it virtually impossible to talk to an actual person! I've spent at least a half hour on the phone calling several different 800 numbers and going thru massive levels of call prompters, but I was never able to speak with anyone. Going to the web is little help. Even their factory service request form instructs you to call a 800 # to get a customer number. I couldn't figure it out. I'm not about to ship or drive my projector anywhere without getting some clue as to what a repair might cost. I was considering buying another JVC projector to replace this one, but given this level of customer support, I'm having serious second thoughts. Shame on you, JVC!

·
Registered
534 Posts
call William P. maybe he can instruct you how to fix it yourself, go for it since it is out of warranty and it may be something you can do.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore
After viewing my JVC G15 for about 20 minutes, the bulb goes dark and the emergency light starts blinking. I could hear an "ignitor" type of clicking sound, like its trying to fire up the bulb.

At first, I thought it might be a bad bulb. I've since replaced it, but it still goes dark after about 20 minutes. Strangely, I'm not noticing the clicking noise anymore after it goes dark.

Now I'm guessing that it's overheating. Anyone have a better guess or a way to diagnose? I have Dilard - does it provide a way of getting a projector's error status?
When you say "it goes dark", does the projector shut down? If it's a temperature problem, the entire projector shuts down (really a stupid design since all the fans stop and the heat isn't dispersed).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it into JVC in Lawrenceville. Once I was able to actually talk to a tech, he was extremely helpful (and seemed to be very knowledgeable). As others guessed above, one of the fans is dead. I'm also having them clean up the shading and fix the white crush caused by my dilard calibration. I don't know what getting just the fan fixed would cost, but with the other stuff, my total cost is going to be around $675. Oouch!

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmore
I took it into JVC in Lawrenceville. Once I was able to actually talk to a tech, he was extremely helpful (and seemed to be very knowledgeable). As others guessed above, one of the fans is dead. I'm also having them clean up the shading and fix the white crush caused by my dilard calibration. I don't know what getting just the fan fixed would cost, but with the other stuff, my total cost is going to be around $675. Oouch!
Believe it or not, one of the fans (the 120mm that cools the optical block) is over $100 list from JVC. :rolleyes: And it's no better than a computer fan. All the fans have a third tacometer wire (which is what tells the unit to shut down when it fails).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.