AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience setting up the HD Leeza with a G15? Couldn't seem to get things set up properly last night (i.e. couldn't get the picture to fit the screen correctly). What should the Leeza resolution be set at? The projector source (auto?). 1365 x 1024/60 Hz and Auto didn't seem to work right.

Thanks in advance for the help--

Drew

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I would set it up at 1365x1024/75 hz

Input resolution should be 1.78 and output resolution should be 1.33

Thats assuming you have a 16x9 screen

The projector should be at auto which should default to SXGA3. If it doesnt do that, then just set it at SXGA3 and it should be all set. If you give it a 1080i signal, it will still use SXGA3 as the HD Leeza scales it to 1080p and then scale it to 1365x1024 to match your projector resolution.

If you you the HD bypass on the HD Leeza and thus not scale the HD signal, if set on auto, the projector will default to 1080i. If you set it on SXGA3, then you will have to manually change it to 1080i

Hope that helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

1. Why 75 Hz?

2. What do you mean by "use the HD bypass?" Which input is that? Right now, I'm using component out directly to the projector, but I'd prefer to go through the HD Leeza, even if it means buying a new HD box. So, if I want to go through the Leeza, what should I be looking for?

Thanks--

Drew

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
from all the years people have been playing with the G series Dila, people have come to the conclusion (right or wrong) that it likes 75 the best. It will however work fine with 72 and 60. However, I find it that my G11 likes 75 when using the HD Leeza

On the issue of bypass, if you use the VGA input for HD on the Leeza, you can actually tell the Leeza not to scale the 1080i, but rather just pass it through. On the component HD inputs, it will not give you a choice and authomatically process the signal. The VGA input will also do it, but you have the option not to. You should connect all your sources into the HD Leeza and then use the 5 bnc output on the Leeza into the 5 bnc input into G15. This is the best way to use the G15. The component inputs on the G Series machines arent very good.

The HD Leeza will accept both HD from both VGA or Component

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
For those interested in this thread, Drew and I have agreed that you should use 60hz for the refresh rate, but for some reason the Dila will not automatically sync to SXGA3 when you use 60. For whatever reason, it syncs to SXG1 which is not 1365x1024

The answer is not to use the auto feature on the on Dila but to manually set it to SXGA3 and since the HD LEEZA will convert everything to 1365x1024 including 1080i, there there is no need for the Dila to autmatically sync between SXGA3 and 1080 source inputs.

The main reason for using 60, is that credits in the movie seem to flicker at 75 but are perfect at 60

Go figure

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Daniel/Drew,

I have the G15 and HDL (and Panamorph).

I mentioned 60hz worked best for me in the other LONG HDL thread. It had mostly to due with the credits at the end of the movie looking better.

Some things I still have issue with is on bright scenes, the picture shows some banding.

About 10% of the picture is cut off from the left side. Didn't really notice until someone else mentioned it and also any text in the beginning wasn't centered.

Wayne

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Some things I still have issue with is on bright scenes, the picture shows some banding.

About 10% of the picture is cut off from the left side. Didn't really notice until someone else mentioned it and also any text in the beginning wasn't centered.
true for me, too. I use a G11, [email protected] (72 and 75 don´t work properly). The "banding" is definitely not an 8bar problem or similair.

The 10%cutoff appears at both sides of the screen and geometry is incorrect. I also mentioned this in "the other long" thread. I reported this to Mike Tsinberg per mail, let´s see what´s changing with the next firmware. There is still some uncertainess about the horizontal-size settings - also discussed in "that" thread just now, but no official statement from KDS.

Thomas

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The cut off is easily corrected. There are two things you need to play with, first is the tracking and the second is positioning control in the Dila. I use a test pattern from Avia which for the life of me I dont remember what its called or what it is intented for. But basically it a grey pattern with may different things going on in it, but the main thing is that on each corner there is ABCDEFG. When you see the test pattern, you will notice that you might not see all of the letters on all four corners. If you adjust the tracking in one direction or another, you will notice that the all of the letters on all four corners will start to reappear. Also in the middle of each side there is a like a samll arrow. When you four sides have the full arrow appear, you know to stop. Once this is done, you will need to play with horizitonal positioning. Not only will this get all of your missing info back, but it will now center the information where its supposed to be.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I dont know the technical reason, but this is why think it is

by telling the projector you are using 1365x1024 it knows that you are telling it that it is a 4x3 projector (I know that sounds weird)

Technically all the projector is doing is that it is shooting a 16x9 image inside a screen. It has no idea if the screen is 16x9 or 4x3, but it will place the image in the same location. So if you had a 4x3 screen, the top of the 16x9 image would be lets say 8 feet of the ground, with top third of the 4x3 screen being blank. If you use a 16x9 screen, again, the top of the 16x9 image will still be 8 feet of the ground. It makes no difference what screen you use, the image will appear in the same location. Of course unless you have a scaler that allows you to move the to the top or bottomor the 4x3 chip, but lets not get into that

So it makes no difference what screen you are using. However, the projector resolution (1365x1024 4x3) needs to match the output resolution of the scaler (1.33 or 4x3) for it to work properly.

Everything I am saying only applies to 16x9 material and wont work with 4x3 material

Probably and I have never really tested it, if you tell the scaler 1365x768, then I would guess you would tell the scaler to use 1.78 screen. I did try it once with the digital Leeza, but I got double images which could probably have been corrected if I adjusted some feature. Supposedly the 1365x768 was made for plasmas, but it could have worked I have been told

At first glance you are right, it seems like you should set it to 1.78

One finaly point, when you add a anamorphic lens to the projector, then you tell the scaler that the screen is now 1.78 because in reality your projector has been transformed from a 4x3 projector to a 16x9 projector

By the way, I am not clever enough to have come up with this way of doing this. Mark Rejhon the king of dscaler and one of the creators of the Rock and the Digital Leeza told me how to handle this.

Why it works, who cares, all I know it does. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.