AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic line tells my story pretty much.

I moved up to a G15 and a 104" wide greyhawk mounted in the inverted position. I now easily notice on computer 1 input the fact that the lower right corner is somewhat reddish and the focus is soft and not as bright tho the brightness may be related to the red tint.

Is this likely to be a matter of internal plate alignment? The projector is dead on to the screen in case someone thinks that might be the problem. I have called and left a message with JVC pro service but of course haven't gotten a return call.

Any ideas or experience with this type of thing? The G1000 I sold had nothing like this.

Larry

------------------

DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP/DMCA MANUFACTURERS!

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know it is perfectly aligned because it is a perfect rectangle as in equal diagonals.

But if you refocus the problem area, can you make it sharp? And what happens to the part that was previously sharp?

Vince

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That portion of the pic never gets sharp.

Larry

------------------

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videohot:
The topic line tells my story pretty much.

I moved up to a G15 and a 104" wide greyhawk mounted in the inverted position.
videohot:

Before mounting the G15 in the inverted position, did you set the "position setting screw" for inverted operation?

I have noticed that "the setting" definitely has an affect on white field uniformity. Even with the screw set to inverted, I have noticed that I have slightly less uniformity in the ceiling mount than I did when I was using it non-inverted, but it's not that significant for me. While I'm not an expert in this area, I'm betting that to an extent the panels are sensitive to heat, and that by inverting the projector (and the direction in which heat rises inside the chassis) the uniformity of the panels change slightly. Since the "position setting screw" is a mechanical adjustment, I'm guessing that it might open an air dam or somehow be designed to change the airflow inside the chassis... but without cracking it open or looking at the service manuals that's just a guess.

Each G15 seems to have it's own "personality" in terms of uniformity, convergence, etc. My focus is also ever so soft towards the outside edges, but this correlates to a slight miss-convergence in these areas. I'm sure that this has to do with manufacturing tolerances and in this respect no two projectors are identical... thus you might be experiencing similar issues to a greater degree than what I have personally seen.

Just curious what happens if you run it non-inverted?

Just my 2 cents…

-Ted-

·
Registered
611 Posts
videohot,

Sorry for not replying. I have been off-the-air with other commitments.

Your comment is telling. If you have a portion of the image that cannot be focused, even at the expense of the balance of the image, then I think there is an internal mechanical alignment issue that needs JVC attention. That, or you have peanut butter smeared onto the chips. Maybe Tom Stites (hope I spelled that properly) could comment? Does this scenario play out the same if you project the background color without a video feed?

Vince

[This message has been edited by Vlubbers (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had less of a problem when running it non inverted but now thats the only way I can position it. I was also running on a smaller screen so the abnormality was less apparent.

I left one message for the JVC service (pro div midwest) and got no reply. I also tried to reach ANY other pro service guy at any JVC branch and no one was in last friday.

I did do the screw trick and it helped a bit but not much. The apparent lack of focus I admit is not BAD...and it MAY also only be that its not as bright in that corner. The red problem is definitly an issue for me though. Mark Hunter had my projector and also commented on it.

Lets see if I can get a return call from JVC!

Thanks for the responses/ideas

Larry

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.