AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the tweaking stages of this instalation and the Image is not the quality I expected.

If it were a CRT projector I would say it looks like the convergence is out, there is a blue outline on the right side of sharp contrasting colors.

There is also clear rings around any shaply contrasted colors. It look like the shapness is turned all the way up on a cheap TV.

I'm not using DVI on the projector because it and the DVP1500 are not HDMI compliant.

So I am using RGB.

I'll post some pictures of what I am talking about.

Example one is from Leno in HD

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Example 2 is from a DVD

What could be causing this ugliness?

thanks,

~Jay

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
The RGB input on the JVC G150 is actually very good. This looks like a typical case of pixel misalignment. I would recommend displaying the projector's menu (in all three positions without the Panamorph) and checking the alignment via the white text. This way you know it's not the result of your image or lens.

In theory JVC's specs state that all three colors are to be aligned within one pixel... if not you might get some where with them. Their PSA software can move pixels (not a partial pixel width) but with most cases since the misalignment varies across the image this helps very little. In most cases the only "fix" is replacing the optical block which is basically the entire projector.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
You might have to send it to William Phelps for calibration
Actually Mr. Phelps did calibrate it! That is why I am supprised it isn't much better than it is.

I did try removing the panamorph and using DVI. It was only slightly better. Removing the Panamorph made little difference, while using DVI made a more noticeable improvement. I wonder if this is simply as good as digital gets?

Or could the Faroudja not be living up to it's price?

If I am correct, William Phelps used to use a DVP1500 with a G150. Actually I think it was the older box... the DCS I think.

The image isn't bad... those pictures are extreme closeups. I guess I am just spoiled by the silky smooth look of CRT in my own theater.

FYI- this is my Dad's house and I know he would never keep a CRT looking good;) Digital was the only logical option for him.

~Jay

·
Registered
27,413 Posts
Sounds like it needs service. Is this the first time you fired it up? Where did you get it from?

It looks like PANEL misalignment. My first Qualia looked exactly that and we surmised it was dropped in shipping. Sony immediately replaced it. Yours would seem to need to go back to the factory or retailer where you purchased!

I assume you have bypassed the Faroudja completely and still got the same results??

I owned this projector, a Panamorph and an HD LEEZA scaler (SDI player and DVI to the projector).

When calibrated, this projector can look fantastic!

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I'm very curious about your second problem as I get some of that myself with a G10U and Lumagen scaler. I was thinking it might be cable ringing but if you are getting it over DVI I doubt that is the case.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
Sounds like it needs service. Is this the first time you fired it up? Where did you get it from?

It looks like PANEL misalignment. My first Qualia looked exactly that and we surmised it was dropped in shipping. Sony immediately replaced it. Yours would seem to need to go back to the factory or retailer where you purchased!

I assume you have bypassed the Faroudja completely and still got the same results??

I owned this projector, a Panamorph and an HD LEEZA scaler (SDI player and DVI to the projector).

When calibrated, this projector can look fantastic!
I only purchase from the finest retailers! AV Science! It was shipped to William Phelps for calibration, then back the east coast (MD) and then it sat for several months before being installed. This went into a new custom home and there were many delays in the project. I suppose it could have been mishandled through that ordeal.

I am seeing two issues:

1. Color convergence (if that is what you call it on a "fixed" panel PJ)

2. the clear ringing around objects

Are these related or a different issues?

My Dad has been using the theater for a few months now and he thinks it looks great. I promised him world class performance for the nearly $70,000 it cost to build. I want to make sure it is World Class.

I have NOT tried bypassing the Faroudja, even though it is the blatantly obvious thing to do! I'll do that first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

~Jay

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Jay,

The G150 has a nasty habit of "forgetting" the Pixel Shift adjustment. By any chance, was the projector operated in non-inverted mode after calibration? That often causes this. So if the "convergence" error you are seeing is a uniform shift over the entire image, and it's one pixel, it can be fixed. Less than one pixel is not adjustable, as has been already mentioned.

However, if it is in convergence in the middle, and out of convergence at the edges, this is not adjustable, and according to JVC is "normal". On these units they tell us that the panel alignment is a compromise between focus and convergence. Quite a few of the G150's have some edge misconvergence.

You should be using DVI from the Faroudja to the projector. If you are using RGBHV, what resolution do you have the Faroudja set to? For the G150 you should use 1280x1024, not DILA, in analog mode.

The ringing in the second image is not an artifact that can come from the G150. It has to be something in the signal.

William

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

The Faroudja was using the Dila setting with RGBHV, I switched it to DVI, if the DVI signal is stable I will keep it there. There were many issues getting it to work with DVI in from the Comcast CATV box.

Just to be clear- Should I use the Dila, or the 1280x1024 preset for DVI?

I'll put up some test patterns tomorrow to try to asses the situation better.

Thanks,

~Jay

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
For DVI we like the DILA setting, if you have a good enough cable to handle it without noise. If the 1280x1024 setting looks better, then use it until you can get a better cable.

fyi - the G150 does not have a "native" rate like the G15 did. The scaler is always on regardless of signal.

Also, be sure you have set Resize to "Panel". This is another thing it will forget, and it makes a big difference!

William

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wm

Also, be sure you have set Resize to "Panel". This is another thing it will forget, and it makes a big difference!

William
ok..further exposing my ignorance..... What and where do I do this? The projector, or the DVP1500?

thanks,

~Jay

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
In the projector - one of the menu items, I don't remember which one because I seldom use the menus. My Optimization software sets it automatically so I don't forget to do it. The G150 seems to forget this setting "at the drop of a hat" - it's not really that bad but it does seem a little absent minded about it. If the projector is not unplugged from AC power and the input cable is not removed it generally will remember this setting, but unplug it and it probably won't. So neither you nor your Dad have set it, it's probably still wrong. That will make the picture too narrow, you won' t be using all of the panel.

William

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a day of tweaking....

As was suggested I bypassed the Faroudja. I was able to watch a D-Theater HD tape. The picture was outstanding! After focusing and playing around I had determined the the JVC is off by exactly 1 pixel. I see if I can adjust that tonight.

HD through the Faroudja is pretty good as well, but the extra processing seems to do more harm than good.

DVD on the Faroudja looks terrible!! It seems that with HD CATV, HD VCR, and decent scaler in the JVC, all the Faroudja is is a $12,000 DVD player that looks like crap!

I may try a Bravo DVD player instead. Or a HD-DVDO plus an SDI modded DVD player.

A new problem with the Faroudja DVP1500 is that the JVC looses sync when you play a DVD. It turns out that if you change settings too much on the DVP1500 the system gets corrupt and you need to do a hard reset.

To make matters worse, Faroudja doesn't offer tech support any more to end users. So I need AVS to be the middle man in getting this solved.

I'm a bit disappointed that after paying that much money they can't even take my call.

~Jay

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Jay,

"DVD on the Faroudja looks terrible!! It seems that with HD CATV, HD VCR, and decent scaler in the JVC, all the Faroudja is is a $12,000 DVD player that looks like crap!"

I wonder if that is from double scaling in the faroudja and again in the JVC?

With my G10U the picture looks great if I have my Lumagen set for 1:1 but if I set it to a lower resolution everything gets more fuzzy on the edges from the scaling in the Lumagen and again in the G10.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Something is not right here, either a setting on the Faroudja or the cable or something. Normally DVD on a 1500 to a G150 looks great. You either have a defective processor or something wrong in the setup.

William

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, it has gone from bad to worse!

I did find yet another sharpness setting that was in the DVD portion of the 1500. Turning that down helped a lot.

The Worse part is that when playing DVD it constantly looses sync with the projector. When using either the DVI or the RGBHV output it will go to a blue screen about every minute or so with a message saying that there is no input.

Running HDTV via component through the DVP1500 seems to work fine.

It would have been nice if Faroudja would have been willing to talk to me. But I guess they feel that severing support from the person who paid for it is better for business. I will not buy from them again. This unit has already needed to be replaced once. The factory warranty is pretty weak- 1 year labor, 2 years parts.

I wasn't able to get in touch with anyone at AVS today, so that makes things very difficult as I am leaving town in the morning.

I'm glad I bought from AVS because I know they will take care of this problem. And of course having you guys here on the AVS forum is critical!

The alignment issue is very minor, I can live with that. But I do plan on getting that fixed. It is off by only 1 pixel.

Thanks for all the help!

~Jay

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Jay,

Does the 1500 have adequate ventilation?

I sent you a couple of emails today about the pixel alignment and how to fix it, but have not received any response.

William

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just sent an email to you about alignment. As I said in the email I wasn't able to do any of that, and I was in the theater all day and didn't have access to a computer whn I was in there.

The DVP1500 is fairly well ventalated. There is nothing hot below it and it is low in the rack. The room is also cool.

~Jay

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay M

It would have been nice if Faroudja would have been willing to talk to me. But I guess they feel that severing support from the person who paid for it is better for business.
I was bothered by this, so I asked Faroudja technical support about it. They tell me that they have made many attempts to return your phone calls but get no answer. Did you actually talk to someone there or are you making an assumption about the support they will provide?

William

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.