AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a minor problem when setting G2 by the manual, there are two different version of what to do.

The first says to simply "cut off the CRT under calibration, and, looking into the lense, adjust the G2 control until the Raster just goes black.

The second instruction says to "set Contrast & Brightness to their minimum, select internal crosshatch pattern, cut off CRT under cal, and adjust R G2 until Raster is just barely visible"...What the heck!...goes black or is just barely visable...which is it?

However here's the really problem...I can't get the Green CRT to completely cut off no matter how low I take the G2 adjustment...it still has a glow even with the G2 adjustment all the way down.

In fact when using these instructions, the only one that seems to calibrate correctly is the blue CRT...the green doesn't cut all the way off, and the Red can be turned way up before it's Raster starts to light.

Then bring up a picture and the Green is way under driven, the Red way over driven.

So for now I brought up the crosshatch pattern a set G2 so that the black grid background is equally black for all guns, and very black...seems to be a fair ballpark, but it's certainly not correct.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I did this I had the same problems, nature of the beast? Chuck Williams recommended the first option, use cutoff and adjust until raster extinguishes. This worked fine until I got to green and had the same problem. Someone told me it could be a problem with the amplifier card but I think not! I just set the red and blue and then played with the green G2 until the balance looked close and fine tuned from there. BTW the single biggest improvement in picture quality I've observed with my 3600 was to do the astig /flare adjusments.

Brad

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have this problem on green also. I think it relates to the persistence of the green phosphor.

What I ended up doing was the procedure in the manual initially, and then I put up color bars from Video Essentials to fine tune it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It takes the green on my 1031Q 15 minutes or more to completely fade to black, even with the power turned off. I'm pretty sure that's normal. I think it's just the nature of the green phosphor - it retains light for a long time.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I had this problem on my 2000. My green tube would remain VERY well illuminated while G2 is all the way down. Replacing the neck card fixed the problem. Now its brightness tracks with the R and B.

ALSO! Not sure how the neck card on the 3600 differs, but I have found that there is a resistor on the 2000 card that likes to fail. When this occurs a weird blooming will occur especially when text is displayed on the screen. For example, when intro credits are displayed a bright band will apprear across the screen where the text is. Replacing the resistor fixed the problem.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not having any blooming, so I think everything is working correctly.

I think I may try putting the Green in shutoff, then dropping the G2 all the way down, give it about 15 minutes to see if it extinguishes, then adjust it up.

Without getting G2 correct the rest is a waste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.