AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always set up my G2 screen voltages using my eyes to check the range of tracking high to low brightness and bias to gain. If their are film people out there it is like using a scale from a sensiometer on a film strip. As you adjust the tube G2 you will slide up and down the scale. Anyway this is not for those who have not setup allot of CRTs. My 1270 has had a what I consider a excellent picture the 3D effect the right tracking 6500K the works. I picked up from this forum how to set up your G2 on your 12xx using the short the CF2 board and setting with the plunge, to the 4 volts trick. I tried these methods and can say it is not the method that will give your Sony anywhere near the best pix. You will not be able to get the 3D effect unless you G2 is setup fairly close. If you have a Sony 1270 or 1272 maybe even a 1292 I don't know about the bigger CRTs. Try this and see if it improves your setup. Select a unused input, do not short the CF2 board, look at the CRTs though the lens. If you see the rasters lit not dark you are out of range. Adjust the G2 so that you lose the ABK line on each one then bring up the G2 until the ABK line appears but the raster stays black or as dark as possible. Do that each tube. You will have to readjust your brightness and contrast and you will will probably have to reset your black and white tracking. Also when doing your 6500K setup try using the video input with a input live and turn the color down and setup this way. I found that using the White square test for the BW setup is not the same when the projector is brought back to normal from test mode. This I will be looking into when I have more time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Roddmodd,

Color TV's used to have a "setup" switch. It killed the vertical sweep and gave you one thin R, G, and B line. You would use the same approach to set the black level. Turn each grid up to visibility, then down to where it just disappeared.

You are also on a good track using the picture to work toward perfect gray scale. It becomes easy to see where you are wrong when there is no color to the picture. Blacks are black, shadows are gray (not blue-ish) and the whites are sun-white (not pink - or worse).

Thanks for opening this topic. There's lots of us that need balance and can't afford (or want) a "professional" cal.

Best Regards,

Barry

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Hi,

I've had a 1271 for 2 years now. Soon after I got it I was adjusting electro-static focus and accidentally adjusted the G2's. I came here are got the info for the factory setup. After doing that, I was happy with the pix.

However, eventually I wanted blacker blacks and with the factory G2 set up bias had to be near zero for all three tubes to get them.

These days, I leave the AKB off and adjust the G2's in a similar way to the one you suggest. I use external (grey scale) patterns. This adjustment can make all the difference to black level and color quality.

I fully realize that I need professional help (not a therapist an calibrationist) but for the moment I haven't the money.

-Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.