AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently hooked up my old Playstation 2 to my G20 and have discovered that by design every game is displayed by the system hardware in an odd aspect ratio which is slightly pillarboxed. It's also off-center (right justified) My old tv had more overscan so the problem was never noticed.

Even if I turn on the G20's overscan there still remains two thin black lines of empty space on each side of the screen.

Most PS2 games are in 4:3 so I play them unstretched with grey bars. This looks weird- grey bars with black lines between the bars and the picture. For games that feature a 16:9 mode the black bars are on the edges, and a little larger since they're stretched.

My questions are:

1. Should I worry about it? Will this cause uneven aging of the phosphors?

2. Is there a way in the service menu to increase overscan by a few percent to get rid of the empty space? Besides being worried about damage, it's also a bit distracting and unsightly.

Looking forward to your insights on this unexpected problem.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik1
Most PS2 games are in 4:3 so I play them unstretched with grey bars. This looks weird- grey bars with black lines between the bars and the picture.
I would use black sidebars instead of gray. Lighter colored logos and gaming HUDs etc tend to leave more IR than black bars do.

Quote:
1. Should I worry about it? Will this cause uneven aging of the phosphors?
Panasonic panels are very resistant to IR and Burn-In. On my old 2005 PX50U, about 30% of my total TV viewing was 4:3 programming with black bars for the first two years that it was my primary display, then got moved to the den for the past three years where it continues to have black 4:3 sidebars about 20% of the time. There is no evidence of damage or Burn-In from all this 4:3 black bar usage. None. Zip. My 2007 PZ700U got similar useage for two years, but my current G10 gets maybe 10% black bar usage and neither of these TVs show any signs of it at all. And the current models are even more resistant than older models. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
2. Is there a way in the service menu to increase overscan by a few percent to get rid of the empty space?
Apparently not, since it's a fixed-pixel display.

Quote:
Besides being worried about damage, it's also a bit distracting and unsightly.
Have you tried using the TV's ZOOM mode then adjusting the Zoom Adjust function to try to fill the screen?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply!

I never thought of just using black bars, that could solve the problem right there. So what is the purpose of grey bars if they are potentially worse for your tv than black bars? (and look much worse!)

After about an hour of playing last night in 4:3 mode the thin black bars from the PS2 definitely left a retained after-image, but it began to disappear almost instantly and within ten seconds it was gone. I'm still a bit concerned that this causes damage- it's actually part of the PS2 picture, while the side bars are produced by the tv and are simply empty space. Any logic in that worry?

I tried to adjust the zoom, but the zoom percentage on the G20 is fixed. And only the vertical position can be modified up or down, not the horizontal position.

Incidentally, while searching around I found this post on another forum about adjusting overscan on a G10:

avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1064117-g10-service-menu-overscan-height-width.html

I admit to taking a quick peek at the G20's service menu after reading this, but it looks like the layout has been changed on this year's model and I could not find the functions he refers to. What do you make of all this?

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.