AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on getting a FP in the next 4-6 months and would consider HTPC if I could incorporate my G4 dual 500 Powermac. Has anyone used a Mac for this? Benefits/Drawbacks?

What would I need?

I figure I need some sort of sound card to get AC3 /DTS out?

It currently has a ATI/Radeon card hooked up to a Apple 15" Studio Display. Should I get another card for VGA output to the FP?

Is the software based decoding of DVD going to be OK?

:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Software decoding DVD is fine- In fact OS X 10.1's DVD playback is a lot better then OS 9's.

I don't think it supports external sounds cards just yet, so 5.1 sound isn't possible. (Although this is something I know little about- I've heard that Creative is selling Soundblaster cards for Mac, but that's all I know).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a solution called the Delta DiO that provides coax and optical out of 5.1 audio for PC and Mac (PCI based).

Midiman

Price is $299.95 (US I believe) and supports Mac OS X as well I think.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Card will also work with OS X and is about $100 cheaper than their Dio card, but includes just one coax digital out.

Total: Midi(in/out), Stereo(in/out), Digital Coax(in/out)

The card works great, but so far only DPLII is all I get out of the dig out. The support is in the OS for 5.1, but is either not in the drivers or the DVD.app, yet.

Then again, my HTPC still doesn't work right with my HDTV and my Panny RP91 has been in the shop for 2 weeks. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.