AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to see what my G400Max can do compared to my progressive DVD player. Based on the archives here, it seems the G400 was a popular HTPC card way back when (a couple years ago).

I have a wide variety of custom resolutions set up that work just fine w/my 16x9 HDTV, using the G400Max's primary output (DVDMax disabled). But now I've run into this really weird issue:

At all of the non-4x3 (ie. 16x9) resolutions that enable an overlay (which means up to 1584x540p for me at least), I get these weird purple-ish pixels infecting the 50% gray picture areas, eg. I see this corruption over the entire pattern for AVIA's TVL and sharpness patterns which have 50% gray backgrounds. But with AVIA's vertical gray ramp pattern I see near sold purple-ish horizontal line (and corresponding vertical line with horizontal gray ramp). This is how I know the corruption occurs in exact 50% gray areas of the picture.

I don't see any mention of this in the archives here, and I know I saw some posts from G400/16x9 HDTV owners in there. Has anyone ever heard of this? My inquiry to Matrox about this just ended abruptly with something about G400 not supporting 16x9 resolutions...

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
Steve, I too am one of those old timers who used a G400 several years ago. In fact it was the first card I found that not only supported 16:9 but any imaginable resolution. While I can't specifically address your purple pixel problem, I have seen some strange color shifts while experimenting with video parameters. Make sure your sync widths are large enough and polarities correct.

Jerry

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi there

I'm still using a G400dh on my Sony 1031QM fptv at a resolution of [email protected] (quite exactly 16:9 ratio).

Just watched "Road to Eldorado" yesterday using DScaler. The overlay was thus filling up the whole thing as I was in fullscreen mode. No problems at all.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Can you get this damn thing even *CLOSE* to Geforce quality???

Using PowerDVD or WinDVD, I've never been able to get it even close on the best dvd's, on lesser quality discs it's not such a problem...

T.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Can you get this damn thing even *CLOSE* to Geforce quality???
Yeah, I'm just trying to see if I can at least match the performance of my progressive DVD player (Toshiba SD-9100), and I think the answer is no. Even with 1920x1080i, there is a noticeable dropoff of vertical resolution compared to my DVD players 480p output (about 40 lines in AVIA's TVL pattern).

Yvonus,

I think you may be on to something. The 33.75hz resolutions I'm using are 1584x540p (and other smaller variants to reduce overscan). 1584x540p is the resolution I see most preferred in the old G400 posts in the archives here, and this the highest I can go before losing the overlay.

With all that said, I do get satisfactory performance without any overlay, so maybe I don't really need one at all. I assume this means I have no HW acceleration and my P3 1.125Ghz is doing all the work? If so, then is there any way to disable the overlay for the resolutions that *do* support it?

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.