AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A work in progress......finally coming together. Speakers?, separate amp? Comments welcome!

TV: Samsung PN50B650

Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-25

Blu Ray: Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD

HD DVD: Samsung BD-UP5000

Gaming: Sony PS3 640gb

HD SAT: Directv H23

Monster Power Center HTS 3600MKII

Speakers;

Front L/R: Boston Acoustics VR40

Center: Paradigm CC-350

Rear L/R Boston Acoustics VRS

Subwoofer: Paradigm PS 1200

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Great system! Thanks for sharing. JT

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nice gear in your setup Tabu - and like most of us, always a work in progress :). I'm sure this is fantastic for movie watchning and gaming.

Some suggestions that you might already be considering to continue the fine tuning:

- have you considered moving the sub away from the fornt right corner? Corner positining will definately give you the most bass, but usually at the expense of clean and tight bass. Perhaps try it moved up the right wall right beside the sectional, or in between the fronts, or to the left of front left speaker

- front speakers are a bit close together and close to the rear wall, a couple of inches wider on both sides, and to 12 inches out from the front wall would help give them space to "breathe". Some like to "toe in", some like the look of nice and neat perpendicular to the walls as you have them - if toed in, most agreed that they should be pointed to a spot somewhat behind the seating position (say 2-3 feet)

- i once had my center sitting on a table like yours and was very pleasantly surpised and the improvement in clarity of CC but adding a small amount of isolation between it and the table (like a thick cloth under the speaker) and moving the front edge of the speaker an inch or so in front of the front edge of the table - basicacly reducing the table from actiong as a resonant chamber

- room walls could use a bit of treatment to reduce liveness and slap echoes - simple pictures, books, hanging treatments, etc would go a long way - plus add a bit of coolness to the already cool gear. Thick absorbers (3-4") right behind the front left and right, expecially when the speakers are just in front is general consensus approach. This is next on my to do list in my ever evolving room too

- right rear speaker could be moved 6-12 inches away from right wall - would result in improved timbre matching between the left and right rear speakers

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBoswell /forum/post/20683163

Nice gear in your setup Tabu - and like most of us, always a work in progress :). I'm sure this is fantastic for movie watchning and gaming.

Some suggestions that you might already be considering to continue the fine tuning:

- have you considered moving the sub away from the fornt right corner? Corner positining will definately give you the most bass, but usually at the expense of clean and tight bass. Perhaps try it moved up the right wall right beside the sectional, or in between the fronts, or to the left of front left speaker

- front speakers are a bit close together and close to the rear wall, a couple of inches wider on both sides, and to 12 inches out from the front wall would help give them space to "breathe". Some like to "toe in", some like the look of nice and neat perpendicular to the walls as you have them - if toed in, most agreed that they should be pointed to a spot somewhat behind the seating position (say 2-3 feet)

- i once had my center sitting on a table like yours and was very pleasantly surpised and the improvement in clarity of CC but adding a small amount of isolation between it and the table (like a thick cloth under the speaker) and moving the front edge of the speaker an inch or so in front of the front edge of the table - basicacly reducing the table from actiong as a resonant chamber

- room walls could use a bit of treatment to reduce liveness and slap echoes - simple pictures, books, hanging treatments, etc would go a long way - plus add a bit of coolness to the already cool gear. Thick absorbers (3-4") right behind the front left and right, expecially when the speakers are just in front is general consensus approach. This is next on my to do list in my ever evolving room too

- right rear speaker could be moved 6-12 inches away from right wall - would result in improved timbre matching between the left and right rear speakers

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. The small adjustments to the front l/r and surrounds was just what was needed. The repositioning of the sub really tightened up the bass, even my wife noticed! I was able to find some isolation pads at HD already installed. As for the wall treatments, I have to get frames made for movie posters that are currently in storage.... Should the absorbers size be in relation to speaker size or is there some other method for sizing? I appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchip /forum/post/20701514

Such a clean setup with great components. Got to be happy with that!

Thanks! I am very pleased. I have employed some suggestions from a previous post that really enhanced the overall sound. When your wife notices the sky is the limit right? Still there things to be done. Work in progress......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil /forum/post/20684324

I always knew that the ideal is that the three front speakers have the same timber matched. How these sounds coming from different brands?

You're right the front speakers should be from the same brand and same line. Next project. My SC25 has mcacc which think may compensate somewhat for timbre matching. I recently made some tweaks and overall the sound is great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.