1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No chance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doubtful indeed. Based on a look at the inside of a G5 iMac to see the necessary cooling required (Macworld Nov '04) and then looking at the dimensions of the Mini makes this story seem, and I'm being overly polite, not quite truthful.

Plus I'm sure that the Mac rumor sites (which is where this kind of bologna belongs) will cover the details.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretagent86
Doubtful indeed...see the necessary cooling required...
"We believe that Apple is preparing new...G5 Mac Minis based on a new IBM low-power processor."

Maybe "low power" is the answer?'

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
They've been working on the low power G5 for ages. (in processor terms) Laptops and now the mini would benefit. It would be nice, not holding my breath given the current Apple/IBM relationship.

·
Registered
999 Posts
MacOSRumors has been predicting a December-January timeframe for a G5 Mini but their predictions have been pretty unreliable over the past 2-3 years. I find it a bit hard to believe Apple would invest the resources to bring a G5 Mini to market only a few months before switching to Intel. I hope this turns out to be wrong. A G5 Mini could pack some serious punch if it's coupled with decent audio & video output options.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHound
I find it a bit hard to believe Apple would invest the resources to bring a G5 Mini to market only a few months before switching to Intel.
Not to mention the fact that Apple just revised the mini. I don't see this happening folks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The only way a G5 Mini makes sense is if: (a) Apple is falling seriously behind their initial predictions for the Intel switchover, which is not what most reports indicate, or (b) Apple plans on rolling out professional grade MacIntels first before a Min-Intel. Rolling out new CPUs in the professional lines would make good historic sense but it's not what most of the pundits are predicting... as if they knew anything the rest of us don't.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67
Not to mention the fact that Apple just revised the mini. I don't see this happening folks.
The way I understood it was that this would strictly be a high-end model. In much the same way that Dual Processor towers were only available as the high-end config. before being available across the PowerMac line.

Whether it would be Intel or not (I think it's still much to early for that), Apple did say that they would start the transition with their consumer models.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyNAVY
The way I understood it was that this would strictly be a high-end model. In much the same way that Dual Processor towers were only available as the high-end config. before being available across the PowerMac line.
but that defeats the entire purpose of the mini. The mini is intended to capitalize on ipod sales. The target audience is a current windows user, with monitor, keyboard and an ipod. This person isn't going to shell out for a high end mini. With Apple's current direction to Intel chips, it makes no sense to introduce a new mini. On top of that... Apple just signed a new contract to keep the supply of G4 chips coming.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My money is on a speed-bumped G4 Mini in time for Christmas. If we're really lucky they might add a Radeon 9600 Mobility option or (dare I say it) a digital audio output port. That would be the magic combo for me to buy a Mini for our family room. Otherwise we'll just stick with our present hardware and wait out the transition. Better video and audio options + faster G4 beats a G5 Mini to my way of thinking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know where you're coming from, Andrew67, but I think the Mini's purpose is to sell Macs. If Apple can sell people on a "starter" model, maybe they can upsell them to a more expensive machine later on. Right now there's a clear feature gap between the Mini and any G5 tower, but there's also a huge price gap. Want something faster than a Mini but smaller/cheaper than a G5 tower? There's the iMac, but it includes a monitor and only does video mirroring. $500 gets me X. $600 gets me X times 1.1. Could $1000 get me X times 2? $1000 right now can only get you an eMac, which is no faster and ties you to that monitor. I think a high-end Mini is a reasonable product to release, though I don't know how they could keep the same form factor. This wouldn't be an update, or replace the current model. Just something to fill a slot that's very empty, in my opinion, at this time. Pure conjecture, but it'd be nice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
And Apple would have to do their best to avoid that stigma. But the Cube was not a mid-priced machine. It had a smaller footprint, but that was really all it had going. Let's hope they learned their lesson and can get it right this time. I'd love to have a mid-price Mac that had the horsepower to be an HTPC that could handle hi def.

·
Premium Member
7,240 Posts
Rumors today that a modest bump in (G4) processor speed and internal specs are coming soon, possibly next week.

TM

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I heard that Apple had to halt the G5 mini because they need all the G5 processors they can find for the G5 Powerbooks. Not to mention that their factories are busy building video iPods. :)

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I would love to have a new "G5 Cube". My Mac Mini is fine, but with the new "improved" Tiger, it runs slower than my old, half speed machine on Panther. (I think Panthers are faster in real life too!). I want more inputs, bigger HD, taller cabinet with more breathing space, digital outputs. Easier to open and work on. More memory. Basically something that's halfway between the G5 tower and the Mac Mini. The G5 is TOOOOO big!!! It gets in the way for me. Getting rid of my tower has given me more space.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.