AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad new version G70 C Block. I've acquired 2 old version C Blocks. techman707 claims the old style won't work with newer generation G70s. As usual, I doubt he has any idea what he's talking about, so I'd thought I'd get a 2nd opinion. What problems will I have, if any, using an old style C Block in a newer generation G70?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
I have a bad new version G70 C Block. I've acquired 2 old version C Blocks. techman707 claims the old style won't work with newer generation G70s. As usual, I doubt he has any idea what he's talking about, so I'd thought I'd get a 2nd opinion. What problems will I have, if any, using an old style C Block in a newer generation G70?
:p

One more time Phil: You can't use the OLD C-board with the NEWER "B" board, but, you can use ANY C-board with the old "B" board.

If you TRY to use the old C-board with the newer "B" board, the image will be VERY dark. If you TURN OFF the ABG, then the picture will appear normal. There are reasons for this that have to do with the changes made when they eliminated the G2 adjustment in the older firmware and used a PLL to adjust the G2 on the later units.

Try as you might, you can ask the question as many times as you want.......but it won't change the facts. :D

Why don't you just put one in already and see for yourself?

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707

One more time Phil: You can't use the OLD C-board with the NEWER "B" board, but, you can use ANY C-board with the old "B" board.

If you TRY to use the old C-board with the newer "B" board, the image will be VERY dark. If you TURN OFF the ABG, then the picture will appear normal. There are reasons for this that have to do with the changes made when they eliminated the G2 adjustment in the older firmware and used a PLL to adjust the G2 on the later units.

Try as you might, you can ask the question as many times as you want.......but it won't change the facts. :D

Somehow I knew you couldn't resist ;)

Chip

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel
Somehow I knew you couldn't resist ;)

Chip
Butt out, Chipper, you don't understand what it's all about. :p

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Quote:
Butt out, Chipper, you don't understand what it's all about. :p
Ya don't have to understand. The dumbest MF in the world could see that it was too tempting a challange to pass up :D

Chip

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chip,

I had previously posted this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=568441

I was intentionally rude in this thread to get Bruce's attention, which also didn't work. I finally PM'd him, explaining the reason this post was rude, after which he finally replied.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

I remember you telling me, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what you said.

The new and old boards are almost identical, the differences being a few ICs and some caps. I'm wondering if you or someone could swap the necessary components to update the old version to the new. I'll try to post pics this weekend.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
I remember you telling me, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what you said.

The new and old boards are almost identical, the differences being a few ICs and some caps. I'm wondering if you or someone could swap the necessary components to update the old version to the new. I'll try to post pics this weekend.
I don't have my rework station here and trying to work on those without it is sure to destroy the board. I'm not even certain that it can be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.