AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be fairly long, but I have a lot of people to thank and some detail may help a forum member in the future if they have a similar problem.

I was a happy owner of a G70 for about 8 months when an Error code 33 shut me down. This started several panicked threads by me ( Error thread ). I called Sony and found the problem to be with the High Voltage supply. Ultimately the adjustments were beyond the equipment I had (volt/ohm meter). Sony has no one locally to deal with the G70/G90 and I was told to ship it to Ga or NJ.

This was starting to sound costly, so I started to look into warranty issues. I found out from Steve Smith (warranty) that in spite of what I was told the warranty is transferable. The projector has a generous 3 year warranty, but I did not know the original owner and the manufacture date (the next thing Sony uses) was 3/98 so I was out of luck.

Afraid of a repair that would costs $1000's, I looked into local non-Sony options. When I described the problem, the local tech's did not instill me with confidence as I seemed to have more knowledge than them from just reading this forum. I could not intrust my G70 to them and decided to bite the bullet and send the projector to Sony.

Having never sent a package over 20 lbs anywhere, I again relied on AVS Forum (Shipping) . Curt, David, and Mark got me to Freightquote.com and I got a good price on 2 day air to Ga via Pilot Air. Thanks again to Curt, I knew to get the extra insurance ($40). Total shipping ~$230 (the crate I have weighs over 100lbs alone).

I learned that once you set the shipping up, you must deliver the projector the next day - no leeway. Another panic ensued as I had to get the beast off of the ceiling. I persuaded 2 friends and my wife that 40lbs each wasn't so bad and we were off and running. I boxed it up and shoved it in the back of the van.

Not giving up on the warranty thing, I called the company (CinemaSource) I bought the projector from to see if they could track down the original owner. Eventually, using the internet and old addresses... I found the original owner. The wonderful person that answered the phone found the original invoice with serial no. listed on the bill of sale. The date of purchase - 12/98. It was still under warranty!!!!:p

It took Sony about 2 weeks to reproduce the problem and fix the projector after which they sent it back at their expense FedEx next day air to my door.

I could not have done this without the help of many Forum members - thanks again!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I was wondering about your situation. Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Unbelievable that Sony sent it back next day air at their expense.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.