AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to configure several different resolutions/refresh rates on my G70, which does seem to have the capability of swapping memory configurations.

I'd like to be able to copy one memory setting to another, as it apparently saves a bit of work. I know the details of how this is done have been shared on this forum before, but all references I can find to it now lead to dead links.

Can anyone provide an explanation as to how this is done? I'd like to take my 1280x720/59.94 Hz setup memory and use it to create a new one for 1280x720/72Hz which the G70 interprets as a new input. I'd prefer not to have to completely reconverge from scratch.

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Charlie,

You will need a G70 with late firmware that allows you to go into the "special" more which allows you to copy, move, celete, etc. blocks. Go into servicemans mode and once in hit enter, enter, left, right, enter. If you are asked if you would like to enter the "special" mode you have the right firmware.

Terry

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen the menu that allows me to load and save memory blocks. I assume that's the one. I'm just not sure how to use it for a new configuration.

By the way, Terry, do you know what the "F" means in the upper left hand corner of the menu screen? I have no idea.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Charlie,

I saw the F some time ago and I believe that it is a factoy mode the unit can be switched into with an internal switch that keeps the unit in the Servicemans Mode. I looked in the service manual this morning briefly but couldn't find it. Will check again and let you know.

Terry

Terry

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Anyone know how to get the laster firmware for the G70. Does this involve a replacement rom chip in the projector or is there a method to download the new firmware into flash memory? Does Sony offer the firmware updates?

Ron Jones

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Yup, it was as I suspected, the F is for the "factory" mode which essentially keeps the unit in Servicemans mode all the time. You know this because at the bottom of the first :menu" page you will see a down arrow which tells you there is more....specifically things you canot reach in the "normal" operation mode.

So to turn the Factory mode off you open the top of your unit and then looking down from the rear, take off the access cover on the left rear. Under it will be 4 boards of which the one to the far right is the YB board. If you look at the top of it you will see a 4 dip switch. ALL of them should be up for normal operation. The rear most one takes it in and out of Factory Mode. Sometime setup techs put the units in this mode so they don't have to go through the up, up, down...and so on to get to the servicemans mode every time they turn the unit off and on. There is also a switch on the 12xx series that does this as well.

Ron, you can call Sony up (or see a dealer) and they will gladly sell you the 5 proms for about $1000. These go in three boards in the same area I described above.

Terry

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, Terry. I don't recall the F being there all along; I thought I did something with the remote to put it there. I certainly haven't touched the DIP switches. Of course, that would explain the fact that I'm never asked if I want to go into service mode.

(later) I checked the switches, and yes, they were not all in the "up" position. Now I get the service mode prompts, and the white screen when I turn it on, just like it's supposed to be.

I'd still appreciate it if someone could fill me in on the procedure for moving memory settings.

Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.