Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently moved to a G70 CRT and I'm currently using a Faroudja DVP-2200 (600p) with it.

I want to scale higher and initially just figured I'd go to the Faroudja 3000 to get 960p, but after reading more about the recent batch of scalers available it appears I need more info.

The high runner around here seems to be the Vigatec. However, quality of scaling video, LD, DSS, in addition to DVD is important to me. Reviewing the comments on the Vigatec seem to indicate that it performs well on DVD, but not so hot on the others.

I know the Faroudja 3000 does well on everything, although perhaps not as well on DVD as the Vigatec, but I really like the option of being able to drive the G70 at higher vHz with the Vigatec rather than being stuck at 60Hz with the Faroudja.

Given my requirements, any opinions on why I should choose one over the other?

Excluding price, any reason not to get the 3000 ?

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments !

Cheers, Karl

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Karl,

I'm running my G70 at 1440 x 960 using a HTPC and the picture is just fantastic. You may want tto consider a HTPC or The Rock as well as the Vigitec.

·
Banned
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
Karl,

I'm running my G70 at 1440 x 960 using a HTPC and the picture is just fantastic. You may want tto consider a HTPC or The Rock as well as the Vigitec.
At 60HZ?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Also running my G70 at 1440x960 at 72Hz from an HTPC.

Best image ever. This is perfect 2x H/W of a DVD and 3x 24 Fps rate. Smooth as can be with films. Better than a theater any day.

Beats a friends Dwin HD700 with a Faroudja 2500 hands down.

If you can't run an HTPC, then a TAW Rock or the Terranex would be my recommendations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Re HTPC. This is a "family" theater and thus needs to be easy to use. I don't get the impressions that a HTPC is currently a "set and forget" device.

Also, my original post highlighted the fact that in addition to DVD, LD, DSS, and Video are very important. How well will an HTPC handle those?

Currently my Faroudja is left on always and does not need to be touched. If someone wants to watch a movie/tv/video, they simply power on the projector and the pre-amp and, if necessary, select the appropriate aspect via the RC2000 MkII remote.

Couldn't get much simpler than that, but I certainly don't want to add steps.

Thanks again!

Karl

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Karl, I am using the TAW Rock+ with my G70 and getting a fantastic image with it. I am currently set at 1440 x 960p @ 72hz, it does produce a great picture. I hope to get it tweeked up to 1080p when Mike Parker comes to visit and we try to push it close to its stated limit of 1100 lines, Mike believes this will be attainable. The Rock+ would be good for a setup and forget for the family, it is very user friendly.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Karl,

I am running 72Hz as well. Still have some tweeking to do but as described by others, very smooth.

I'd suggest the rock+ as well as you can get that 1440 x 960 which seems to be the sweet spot for most G-70 owners. Plus, if you want to play it does any other resolution you want to do. It's essentially a HTPC in a box (oversimplified) and transparant to the end user without the complexity of operating a HTPC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.