AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved 3 years ago and took my G70 with me. I am NOW JUST getting around to putting the home theater together (we had our first baby in there too). IThe G70 has been sitting on some step aerobic benches for 3 years in the basement. I need a QUICK catchup on the technology on sending signals to the projector. Are HTPCs still the way to go? I've seen the HDMI cards for the Sony CRTs. Is this the way to go? Should I just get the card and a BR or HD DVD player? What's the latest software for DVD playback on the HTPC? What is the latest and greatest video card in the HTPC world?

I am really dreading the WHOLE setup thing. I DON'T WANT to go digital. I will suffer through the whole setup again. I did it once and tweaked it many times in the past. I would like to get away from the whole HTPC since that's where a WHOLE LOT of tinkering can happen. I remember all the software I use to load and various adjustments to make. I feel totally lost and I don't want to become another one of those converts.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Before you even turn this on, make sure you at least place the Sony in the area of use and let it come up to the room temperature on it's own, turned off. That may be 24 hrs.

Whether it's on or off electrolytics do age unfortunately.

When you turn it on, let it electrically stablize by itself with any source for now.

Run contrast and brightness at very low settings.

I would let it run solid for 24 hrs. that way. 3 days would be even better, but doubt many would be that patient.

When this all checks out, then consider the other stuff you need.

Regards

David

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffG70 /forum/post/12949287

Are HTPCs still the way to go?

no, they are pretty useless now unless your a gamer or serious web-surfer

Quote:

I've seen the HDMI cards for the Sony CRTs. Is this the way to go?

yes, only a dozen left out of the current batch being built, better order now. There's also one on flea bay from a local guy I know

Quote:

Should I just get the card and a BR or HD DVD player?

yes, in todays world that's a no brainer

Quote:

What's the latest software for DVD playback on the HTPC?

Thanks all!

I removed the HTPC from my system a few weeks ago. for upscaling older DVD my HD-A2 just kills it.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
HTPC is a good option but I am using a bluray, HDVD and HD sat all 1080i.

It is simple and easy to set up and great PQ without messing around.

If the basement is is not below 60F I wouldn't worry as my XG in the basement and it is right in 60's and I turn it on with no problem every weekend.

Running it for three or two days in row might be a good thing to do but I sure think it is overkill. Just a few two hour cycles should get it ready for final set up.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Umm, ahh, no. HTPC is not useless, but it's not easy.

I have just gotten playback of VC-1 and AVC titles working perfectly on my HTPC, with smooth playback at 1080i 96hz and lossless sound (no downsampling).

A lot of mucking around to get it all working, but quite frankly there's never been a better time for a HTPC.

Why is a HTPC useless exactly? A standalone player won't do a custom res (so you can't get smooth playback), and you can archive all your HD-DVD's/BD, just like a DVD years ago.

DVD...what's that? Is that like an 8 track cassette or something?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. The basement is heated. It remains about 65 degrees year round. What is the HD-A2? I have a lot of older DVDs that I would still like to watch.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
A2 is the Toshiba HD-DVD player. Or try A3 which the newest one. They are cheap now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
HTPC useless....HA! Sounds like somebody didn't have the patience.

I have yet to find a standalone player than can do 1/10th of the functions as my HTPC. ROMs/all my cds/dvds/beefy tivo functions/remote tv/ upscaling/deinterlacing of content and the list goes on and on.

Bestbuy had the A-3 for 101 over the weekend.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember using Theatertech or something like that or Cine(something) for the HTPC DVD software. There were all types of plugins, almost like applying photoshop filters on the fly to each frame. I always had trouble figuring out the right resolution and scan rate. It seemed there was a flavor of the week back then. There was some software for front and back porch adjustments. It was pretty involved to get it right and you had to have enough common sense not to TRY the NEW setting of the week which someone found to produce NO JITTER, BLACKER BLACKS, etc.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
My issue with PC is the output voltage at .7v.

Thre is no reason to look for all the tweaks if you don't want too but the benefit of the gamma correction is substantial when needed as well as refresh rate options.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/12950166

no, they are pretty useless now unless your a gamer or serious web-surfer

You were right about the tube thing, draggy, but don't push your luck.

Yes, HTPCs are useless if you don't want a library of more than one movie accessible without disk swapping. HTPCs are useless if you don't want myriad audio options like setting EQ per channel, handling matrix output in detail, shunting the LFE signal to multiple outputs in different amounts, adjusting gamma per-channel with high accuracy, building your own custom gamma curves to get perfect grayscale tracking without ludicrously expensive post processors, and having an easy way to custom control room lighting, audio, and so forth.

I guess, though, it *is* a lot of work - plenty of time and tweaking to get things going. Too bad we CRTers just aren't used to that kind of effort.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffG70 /forum/post/12962261

Can the G70 do 1080p?

Yes, but you might find 1080i a better match.

I use 1080i 96hz on my (very similar) XG LC.

Jeff, you described a HTPC perfectly. What you were doing was using Theatertek with the Cineplayer decoders and ffdshow to apply (probably) unsharp mask and some gradual denoise (maybe denoise3d...or the dscaler sharpen filter...or warpsharp..or...). Those were the heady DVD days...now we have the 2nd gen HD days (1080i MPEG2 was 1st gen)...it's even more convoluted.

And yes, the flavour of the week changed constantly....I thought that was the whole point?

It does sound like a HDMI card and a standalone BD and HD-DVD player might be more up your alley.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are probably right. I've got a little one now and I don't want to spend too much time tweaking every part of the chain. I've been there and in seeking perfection (in as much as I could with my equipment) it became more of a game of tweaking for me than enjoying the movies. There is nothing like seeing the 3D images you can achieve when things are about spot on and the right scene on the DVD. I wish I could see a WELL SETUP CRT system so my eyes have something to compare. I feel a little bit of dread this time setting things up. I will push forward and get that baby hoisted to the ceiling once again!

Can someone give me screen advice, size and type? My room is 23.5 feet deep by 20.1 wide by 8.75 feet tall before finish. The screen wall will be about 14.25 feet wide.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks PeriSoft I can read loud and clear where you are coming from. I am very familiar to the effort taken to get things right. I've stared at that screen for COUNTLESS hours working on it. I had fun doing it. I think I want a quick get things going type of situation which would be the card and player then take my time working on the HTPC.

Mark you really started to bring it all back. Yep that was it! 3 YEARS is a long time. It goes by so fast. Constructing the room with my boy will be fun but sitting reading for hours on this site doesn't do him any good. The ONLY problem with this is there never is the "Correct" answer. Everyone has an opinion and you have to play jury and decide who seems most factual and run with that. Lots of TIME. I suppose in the HTPC section I can find all I need to know about the essential software to load and what is the latest and greatest Video and Audio card. I have the old Radion with the BNC mod off the back. I can't remember who I sent the card to for that mod. I suppose that card is not that great today.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Jeez, I can't believ so many people get defensive about their HTPC's?
It's just a stinking computer, it doesn't have a heart and soul like a good amplifier or a vintage turntable.

I guess I should have said HTPC's are useless in the way I use my theatre. I don't game, surf down there, and out of the 100 movies on the hard drive I watched a dozen of them one time each. It's good to know so many people still love the computer though, I will be glad to sell mine on v-gon.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffG70 /forum/post/12966727

Can someone give me screen advice, size and type? My room is 23.5 feet deep by 20.1 wide by 8.75 feet tall before finish. The screen wall will be about 14.25 feet wide.

Thanks everyone!

Draper Clarion with 1.3 gain. something like E-bay 330202049114 but in the 96" wide size.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Draganm. So I should get a 4:3, 72 x 96? If going 16:9 then maybe the 58 x 104? I had used a home brew screen in the past that was 4:3 and used black velvet to mask it for 16:9. I'm not sure if that's what I should do now. I plan on just running DVDs down there with the Moone(sp) card and a HD DVD or BD.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/12967300

Jeez, I can't believ so many people get defensive about their HTPC's?
It's just a stinking computer, it doesn't have a heart and soul like a good amplifier or a vintage turntable.

I guess I should have said HTPC's are useless in the way I use my theatre. I don't game, surf down there, and out of the 100 movies on the hard drive I watched a dozen of them one time each. It's good to know so many people still love the computer though, I will be glad to sell mine on v-gon.

I threw away my turntable and I have a valve amp sitting doing nothing (despite being pure class A SET, it's not as good as a proper solid state amp with some grunt).

My PC might not have a heart, but it has a mind of it's own and a soul as black as pitch...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffG70 /forum/post/12972476

Thanks Draganm. So I should get a 4:3, 72 x 96? If going 16:9 then maybe the 58 x 104? I had used a home brew screen in the past that was 4:3 and used black velvet to mask it for 16:9. I'm not sure if that's what I should do now. I plan on just running DVDs down there with the Moone(sp) card and a HD DVD or BD.

Keep in mind the aspect ratio for BD and HD DVD are all wide screen.

I don't know, that screen on Ebay looks pretty good if you hold them to the claimed specs "(106 ft diagonal, 92' W x 52' H viewable)". I couldn't manage the 52 foot height even if I tore out both the basement and 1st floor ceiliings

1 - 20 of 21 Posts