AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having followed the CRT Forum for some time, I had pretty much settled on a Marquee 95xx (and its LC 9 inch tubes) as my choice, but now having spoken with some forum members, I'm beginning to wonder if the price difference between a 9500 ($16m from Tim) and a nice used G70 (roughly $6500 - 7000) is justified, understanding that the G70 is an 8 incher. I've thrown the Barco into the mix since it's also a 9 incher, and seems to be available in the $3-4,000 range.

So, here's my request: could those of you with experience with these models please provide the benefit of your experience, and help me handicap this contest? My specifics: currently own an RPTV in a dedicated theater room, in which I have complete light control, and WAF to move to a FP CRT. The room size is roughly 17x19, and I envision a 96"x54" screen. I must admit, I'm not falling all over myself to cough up $16m, particularly if I can cough up $6-7m and get close to the same results. Please steer me in the direction I should go!

·
Registered
446 Posts
In my opinion you will have to make the decission on your own

as to how much you wish to pay and work it out from there

I settled on a G70 and am elated with the image quality

I would have liked a sony G90 but these were out of my price range I looked at a 1292 but the noise factor turn me off also I compared the image to the G70 and was more surprised to the G70.

everyone else will have there own opinion but I think a good setup 8inch

is near as close as you can get to dvd heaven

Also if you have a limited budget I have seen some nice 7 inch Pj that have looked outstanding nec,sony

Here is a thread I seach for on site about 9 inchers
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...inch+projector

as your post states there is a big difference in price from 7--8---9

The money you would save between models could be spent elsewhere

HTPC,Scaler,Ht equipt

This question on which model to buy is in many threads here

also do a search on the models your after

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Joseph,

It is incredibly difficult to demo multiple projectors. I have a Barco 1208 and I found the picture to be much better than the G70. For that size screen an 8" CRT is just fine. Used models run much cheaper than 16K. Another factor is the cost of CRT replacement. 9" CRTs are more than double the cost of an 8" gun.

A trip to AVS or Hi Rez may allow you to see multiple PJs. Go see some to make your decision.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi Joseph:

For comparsion sake, I will compare G70 to a Marquee 8500/8500LC, rather than a Marquee 9500. You can get a 8500 from Tim for $8000 in excellent condition!

The differences from a 9" to a 8" is marginal. But whether its justified for the extra money, it is very subjective. When you reached 8" crts, you are in the land is extremely diminished return for your money. But if you are the few and elite bunch of videophiles who want to have the best of your home theatre setup, I would tell you to go for it! There are people who spent thousands just to get good video signal and clean and stable power ! Just my thoughts!

Alex

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Joseph,

where do you live? If you're really interested I could show you what a well tuned Marquee 9500LC looks like. It could be worth the trip.

There is a very good reason why the E-tech 9500 is priced at 16K. It has NEW tubes, and it has the latest upgrades and mods. This is all done by one of Electrohomes most recognized field technicians, a true Marquee expert rebuilds this projector. Actually it's under priced.

The other two projectors are not on the same shelf...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, I'm in the Atlanta area, so not very close to you...but you don't have to sell me on Tim's projector, as his avid following on the forum had already done that. I'm simply testing my original decision to go with the 9501 by soliciting the forum members' experienced opinions. I've had more than one person tell me that the improvement from a good 8 incher to a good 9 incher is nominal, and perhaps not worth the cost, and that got me thinking enough to solicit more thoughts. One other question for you as a Marquee owner: how superior is the Marquee to the Barco or older Sony 1292 (bearing in mind how much noise the Sony apparently makes)? Thank you for chiming in, as I am also aware of how well regarded you are on the forum.:)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Joseph, I just PMd you. You may want to talk to Chuchuf he has a 1209 set up and may even have a G70 to look at as well.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"...how superior is the Marquee to the Barco or older Sony 1292 (bearing in mind how much noise the Sony apparently makes)? "

There is no comparison. But I would choose the Barco over the 1292, the MEC tubes in the Barco have a sharper focus (better for detail/resolution).

The Barco is better for modular repair, though the Sony has some boards that are modular in design. The boards are not available for swapping, unless you have a spare 1292.

There is a big misunderstanding on a 9" tube being nominally different than a 8" tube. Why is the difference in price so much more for a minor/marginal improvement?! The true adjantage of the 9" tubes is RESOLUTION, the 9" tube will render far better performance in detail, sharpness and contrast ratio. They were designed/used for the ultimate in high performance video display. There are several 8" CRT's that are actually brighter than some of the 9" CRT's but they are not able to display that same brightness at the same level as a 9" CRT before clipping (peak whites), therefore not being able to offer a much smaller dot size for high resolution performance.

Would one say that the difference between the Sony G70 and the G90 are only nominal? if so there is no need to own or want a G90 if the G70 is far less expensive with very simular performance to the G90...

choose wisely!

I'm biased towards the Marquee, maybe because I have both field and bence experience with all three of them...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that poor tuning versus good tuning can greatly affect your visual perception of what is "good." Dare I say it's more important that 8" versus 9" I've seen well tuned, 7" that easiily looked better than 8" just because of this, when I know the 8" was a "superior" unit. Someone who says "abc unit blows away xyz unit" must take this into account. Also, make sure the input signal is "apples for apples" in your comparison as well, HTPC, Farudja, and so forth.

Just my quick 2-cents.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi Joe

You really know how to get people worked up around here!

The 9500 and the G90 are without question at the top of the food chain.

If price is no object go for it. With people like Mike and Tim, you'll always have excellent support too.

In my own personal situation, I chose a G70 over a 9500, but I have two kids who will soon start college and I am not independently wealthy (yet).

If you're concerned enough to make this post, you should try to demo the projectors you are considering and make the cost/value decision based on your own personal finances and tastes.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
As many have already said there is a difference between an 8" and a 9" CRT. I have a NEC XG110 (8" I purchased for $2500) and the picture is amazing. Would a 9" look better? Of course. But will it look 2-3 times better? That is a decision that only you can make. You said earlier that you were talking with Tim about a 9500LC for 16k. You may want to consider an 8500LC from Tim. I think they go for about $8500 and if I'm not mistaken can be upgraded to a 9500LC by replacing the CRT's. This may be an option you want to discuss with Tim.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Perhaps throw another wench into the works here.

The G90 and 9500 or the top, no doubt about that.

However the next two pj's down the food chain are the NEC XG series and the Ehome 8500, with the G70 and close third.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KennyG
Perhaps throw another wench into the works here.

The G90 and 9500 or the top, no doubt about that.

However the next two pj's down the food chain are the NEC XG series and the Ehome 8500, with the G70 and close third.
Says who? This inevitably happens in discussions like this - someone with and NEC says theirs is best, someone with a EH says theirs is best, my Chevy will kick your Ford's ass, ect. ect. ect.

I'll bet you own either an EH or NEC, right?

I have probably had 100 or so CRT projectors go through my hands in the last couple of years so I speak from experience.

I"ve tried them all, including 8500LC's, XG135LC's, and Barco 1208's. The last 8500LC I owned was the top of the line Ultra model with less than 600 total hours and was in perfect condition. And being in the position of choosing any of these 8 inchers in my personal theater for roughtly the same investment, my choice has been the G70 - and not once but twice since I recently purchased my second G70!

The EH and NEC's will give you a little more color depth on smaller screens, but the trade off is brightness. The G70, XG135LC and 8500LC series all have LC and EM focusing for very tight sharpness, but the G70 stand out for me due to significantly more brightness, and in my case brightness was important due to a big screen (neither the 8500LC or the XG135LC would put out enough light for my 120" screen). More brightness means you don't have to push the projector as hard for larger images, resulting in better contrast on LARGER screens without blooming or sacrificing black levels. In terms of light output, the G70 is directly on par with the EH9500LC. I've seen and used both in my own theater, and the specs also bear this out.

Another problem with NEC's is that the tubes tend to wear out faster. I don't know why this is, but in my experiences used NEC's with tube wear outnumber any other brand by 3 to 1.

Bottom line, if you want a bigger screen the G70 beats out all the other 8 inchers.

And contrary to what your girlfriend may have told you, size DOES matter.

Otherwise we would all be watching 36" sets.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang, TEW, you got going on that one! You made me think of another point to question: I mentioned I plan on a 96" screen. My seating positions will be roughly 12 feet from the screen. Do I have the correct relationship between screen width and distance from the screen established? Assuming I do (yeah I know, don't assume), how important is the brightness you mention in my setup? I remember someone telling me that the 9500 should go no wider than 96" to be within its comfort zone. Thoughts?

·
Registered
279 Posts
dam TEW! I sure am glad I bought a G70 now!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too own a G70 and 8' wide picture. We seat kids in front of us at about 8-9' and we're at about 12'-13' and there's room for another row behind that, with stools (I just haven't built the riser for couches like I want it yet.) I have total light control (basement) and brightness is not an issue at ANY seating location. What makes the difference, and seems to be a matter of personal taste, is the tradeoff with picture size and percieved quality of resolution. As you get farther from the screen the picture gets smaller, but "improves in resolution." I say quote "improves in resolution" because we all know what's really going on with the eye. Anyway, I have a friend who says "bigger is always better for me" so he sits in the front row (8',) others sit on the stools I have in the 17'-18' zone and are quite happy. Personally, I like my 12' seating area and others, it doesn't matter. It seems to be somewhat personal taste.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Whats the big deal with brightness???

To increase the NEC or Ehome's brightness just increase the contrast.

The numbers on the adjustment scale mean very little, brightness is brightness no matter what the scale says. So Sony drives their tubes harder.

I'll take sharpness and color...brightness I can make.

I can throw another pj into this, don't laugh but the Ampro 3600 will run with any of the highend 8" units. One of the techs on this forum mention in an e-mail to me this is the most underated projector...I agree, that's why my NEC 110LC is now gone! (and I got two of these with money left over!)

TEW...for you info I've owned two NEC XG, have a friends with E'home's Barco's, and have seen a G70, all excellent pj's...but as of now no I don't own either na EH or NEC

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TEW

Says who? This inevitably happens in discussions like this - someone with and NEC says theirs is best, someone with a EH says theirs is best, my Chevy will kick your Ford's ass, ect. ect. ect.

I'll bet you own either an EH or NEC, right?

Tew you just made my day I too own G70

and your Quote hits the mark

Personal Preference is the issue mine is better than yours Haaaa

Tube Cost are a concern

But the importent factor is setup this depends on the individual how good he is at Tweeking

Quote:
Originally posted by TEW

Another problem with NEC's is that the tubes tend to wear out faster. I don't know why this is, but in my experiences used NEC's with tube wear outnumber any other brand by 3 to 1.

This is an interesting statement as I have had nothing to do with NEC I glad I made the right choice

[/b][/quote]

The room size is roughly 17x19, and I envision a 96"x54" screen.

Originally posted by Joseph

Joseph I have the same size room give or take a foot also same screen size

we sit about 14 feet away to me this size screen is Ideal

also I have to agree with TEW the bright levels on the G70 are impressive

Here is a post from Projection Systems

it says that some even class the G70 over a 1292 9inch pj
http://www.projectorspecs.com/page8.html

and another on the G90 to G70 also states if you have a budget the G70 is the go
http://www.projectorspecs.com/page9.html

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Kenny said something in this thread that many of you probably took no notice of...
Quote:
I can throw another pj into this, don't laugh but the Ampro 3600 will run with any of the highend 8" units.
Two months ago I saw one of these perform for the first time and was very impressed. For the past two months I've been looking for another one. Brought one home yesterday and have been doing the setup on it today. All I can say is Wow! This thing does the sharpest image I have ever seen with a CRT projector.

It really is the Cinderella of CRT projectors (and no, I'm not trying to sell them. In fact I would like to find another one for my own use. So if anyone out there wants to sell one please send me a PM).

Bob Wood

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I seriously doubt that NEC tube wearout any faster than any other tube...think about it for a minute, it's not the electronics driving the tube that wear them out, it's the amount of light the tube is putting out that wears them out. In that case the Sonys should wear out the fastest, after all they are the brightest.

Think about it this way, if you put two sets of of the same tubes in two different projectors...lets say one set in a Sony, one set in an NEC, and once calibration is complete, the Sony's contrast is at 50%, and the NEC's is at 60%...now let's say we measure the light output at the screen, and the Sony is 11 ft lamberts and the NEC is 10 ft lamberts...guess which tubes will wear out the fastest?

I can however increase my light output to match the Sony...say at 70% the NEC is putting out 11 ft lamberts at the screen...but then the NEC's tubes will wear just as fast.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.