AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like your opinion on this. I have a Sony G70 with 485 hrs on the CRTs and the same on the chassis. The tubes all need to be changed due to heavy 4x3 burn. I can get the tubes replaced with new Sony ones and calibrated for $3000. Would it be a worth it and keep it, or just sell it ?

One more note, the projector looks new on the inside.

Thanks a lot,

Tony

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Um,

I would.

Use the burnt tubes to verify all the functions of the projector, set it where you want to mount it and try to use all the controls to see if everything works.

Maybe you can get used tubes? Rebuilt tubes are cheaper but the amount you were quoted for replacement sounds like a great deal.

I don't think that it will sell re-tubed for more than $3000 than it will sell now. So, in the long run if you don't want to be keeping it, you should sell it now.

I'll give you $5 for it (and pay for shipping):D :D :D

If you run out of options you can donate it.

-Brian

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I can be more genorous than Brian. I'll offer $10 and shipping.

The CRT's from Sony are about $1000 each new. Plus the cost to retube the unit and setup.

I just did some testing on a Green VDC rebuild and was pretty pleased with the results. Check for the thread here on that. The cost from them is $595 plus shipping.

Terry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Chuchuf, I have been following your thread on the VDC tubes with a lot of interest. But seriously, how much can I get for it, if I decide to sell it as is?

Thank you all for your input.

Tony

·
Registered
443 Posts
You really have heavy 4:3 burn after 485 hrs???

I have over a 1000 on mine and you can not tell the tubes from new. Even if it were left on full white screen for 485 hrs, I would not expect that much burn.

You sure you can't use it as is?

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I have over 2000 hours on my G70 without burn-in problems. If all that you are meaning by 3x4 burn-in is the areas beyound the normal 3x4 area on the CRT tubes is a little brighter because of less ware then what's the real problem here. If the projector was set up with the correct distance and geometry relative to the screen when the 3x4 burn-in occurred, then you should be able to set it up now so that you do not used the area beyond the orignial 3x4 area. Even if using a 16x9 screen you will lose very little in keeping the total width of the image area on the tube to no greater than used for a 3x4 image.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I don't know who operated this projector but I hope they fired him. I know for that amount of hours, the tubes should have been almost new. The blue tube is" toast", the green is "medium rare" and the red "rare". It's a good thing I have another projector to enjoy!

Tony

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Tony,

I can't believe that the Red tube would show any wear. Contrast and brightness must have been set to 100 the entire 400+ hrs and the unit located to far back to make the image small on the CRT's? I've seen G-70's that came out of the A/V business (and they aren't gentle on CRT's) with close to 2K hrs on them with no or very little wear on the B only.

Unfortunately since VDC is still an unknown (more testing has to be done) it's gonna cost someone $3500 or more plus shipping to have new Sony CRT's installed.

Terry

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Someone reset the hour meter. It's easy to do if you know how. I do, and I'm not telling.

Curt

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
Someone reset the hour meter. It's easy to do if you know how. I do, and I'm not telling.

Curt
But he said the chassis hour read the same thing. I don't think you can reset a chassis hour on a G70 without replacing an entire motherboard.

I've seen severe wear on low hour machines before. Those blue screens that VCR"s display when no tape is playing can burn a set of tubes up quickly if you let it just sit there. I"ve seen that happen before.

If you dont have much money in it to start with and you want a good 8" LC projector, I'd keep it. I personally think the G70 is the best 8 incher you can buy.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Terry's right: If the hours are indeed under 500, the contrast must have been set to 100 (driving a way too large screen?).

This many hours on the chassis is nothing, so if you can get the logistics figured out to get new tubes installed and focused for $3K-$4K, that's a pretty good price.

In fact, 500 hours on the chassis almost makes it worth more then a new (zero hour chassis) as most early (infant mortality) problems on the chassis would have shown up by now. New tubes and you're all set....

Kal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.