AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for yet another thread on this topic.

I'm putting together an HTPC and am considering just going with the 780G w/built in GPU (HD 3200) and AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual core. I've read tons of reviews about whether the 780G is sufficient for HD playback without a dedicated graphics card and about 1/2 say it's more than sufficient while the other 1/2 recommends something more powerful.

Has anyone tried this setup? I'm looking strictly to play 1080p blue rays as well as downloaded HD videos using various codecs.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Blu-Rays no problem, plenty powerfull enough. Downloaded HD videos? It depends on how they are encoded. If they are encoded following blu-ray specs then no problem again. If they are not encoded following the blu-ray specs then you will not get any hardware acceleration from the GPU at all and your CPU will have to do all the work. But, keep in mind, the above scenario applies to all the ATI video cards so getting a more powerful card will not help. H264 decoding in hardware (thus in the video card) is very picky and encoded video have to follow profile level 4.1. All blu-ray discs are encoded to this profile level. Videos in the "wild", who knows...

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonZa /forum/post/16968166

I'm putting together an HTPC and am considering just going with the 780G w/built in GPU (HD 3200) and AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core.

I know you didn't mention it, but note that on that GPU if you plan on watching any standard definition sources, including DVDs and SD TV, you won't be able to use the better deinterlacing options unless you get a processor with the faster 3+GHz Hyper Transport speed available mostly on Phenom or Phenom II processors.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:

Sorry for yet another thread on this topic.

I'm putting together an HTPC and am considering just going with the 780G w/built in GPU (HD 3200) and AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual core. I've read tons of reviews about whether the 780G is sufficient for HD playback without a dedicated graphics card and about 1/2 say it's more than sufficient while the other 1/2 recommends something more powerful.

Has anyone tried this setup? I'm looking strictly to play 1080p blue rays as well as downloaded HD videos using various codecs.

No problem at all with 1080p Blurays. For me, the problem was SD-deinterlacing, which wasn't up to par with an X2 CPU. That's why I upgraded to a HD4670.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:

I'm looking strictly to play 1080p blue rays as well as downloaded HD videos using various codecs.

Playing 1080p is perfectly fine. (1080i and SD are different stories, of course.)

·
Registered
228 Posts
My system uses the HD3200. Blu-ray plays fine using PowerDVD 7.3 included with my LG blu-ray drive.

I also watch 720p and 1080i HDTV, and 576i SDTV on this system, using an HVR2200 tuner with Mediaportal. My CPU is a X2 4850e 2.5Ghz.

Many people do report problems with 1080i playback, but my system seems fine. Possibly the sideport RAM on my MA78GPM motherboard helps out here. My full system spec:

Antec Fusion 430, GA-MA78GPM-UD2H F3, X2 4850e, ATI HD3200, Corsair 2x1Gb, WD750AACS, LG GGC-H20L, Hauppage HVR 2200, Logitech z-5500, Logitech Harmony 525, Samsung LA32R51B 720p, Vista Premium-32 SP2, Catalyst 9.7, Mediaportal 1.0.2+OneButtonMusic, AC3Filter, Powercinema 6, Powerdvd 7.3

If I was building a new system, I would go for a 785g, HD4200, probably with a phenom class CPU.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammite /forum/post/16971091

i am not sure what people's issues are with sd sources but my dvd's look great.

There is no actual issue. Simply SD looks greater (to some people, not to all people) with a good discrete card such as Radeon HD 4550.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:

I'm putting together an HTPC and am considering just going with the 780G w/built in GPU (HD 3200) and AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual core.

Spend the extra $20 and get a 785G (HD 4200) motherboard. The 4000 series chips have better video decoding hardware and will do HD audio over HDMI. There is a whole thread on one of these boards here .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.