Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked the timer on my G90U, 2660 hours :confused:

When should I expect the G90 to start dimming?

Lon

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Lon, If your worried you are working your G90 too hard, send it to me for a couple of months rest! Big backyard, pool, hot tub. I will treat your baby right.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Yeah,

With that many hours it's ready for the scrap heap. I'm in California so it would be pretty easy for me to come by and pick it up if that will help.

-Brian

ps= Like, just kidding and stuff.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have a customer with 5000 hours on his, and when I did a touchup on it I still measured 350 lumens. With a full white field and a piece of paper held up at the top edge of the screen you can just see some indication of wear.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
As I understand, the G90 does 350 AnsiLumen, 500 lumen full-white and 1300 lumen 10% white-window.

If a projector is driven below blooming only with video, the light-drop is near zero.

If you drive your projector near maximum with a high APL-level, the story is quite different.

Per Johnny

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
My G90 is going on three years since it was installed. I checked my hours a couple of days ago and I'm at 684. I figure I will average 250 hours per year or 5 hours per week or two films. I never use it for watching television. At this rate I guess the thing will last me bright and crisp for about another 20 years or more.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
HE***LL MY WIFE PUTS 6 - 10

HOURS A DAY ON MY SONY 1292

XANATOS

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have had several G90 customers with projectors installed at the "PJcalc" throw distance on 16x9 screens, which means less light output and resolution than the G90 can deliver. The projectors had less than 1000 hours on them, in one case 960, so we moved them closer. I was expecting to see an area on either side of the screen where the phosphor, having not been used, would be noticeably brighter, but even with 960 hours on the tubes there was NONE! I was both amazed and pleased to discover this. Clearly the old "half gone at 1000 hours" story does not apply to the G90.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
Mike:

My motto is "Smoke em if you have them".
This begs the question Lon : What do you plan to do when those tubes literally turn to smoke? No more G90 left to replace it. Don't tell me you'll go digital on that day. I'd rather go postal!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
And man, did that G-90 look better when you were done with it William. Far beyond what I had expected.

Ted

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike:

Life's too short, no sense saving G90 hours, according to Williams post the glass is still half full, I enjoy 4:3 sports on the big screen, very in your face.

Lon

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
Mike:

Life's too short, no sense saving G90 hours, according to Williams post the glass is still half full, I enjoy 4:3 sports on the big screen, very in your face.

Lon
Lonnie:

You're the best!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
"Clearly the old "half gone at 1000 hours" story does not apply to the G90."

But I quess that was not showing computer-graphics with a high APL at a high contrast/brigthness setting.

Crt-burn and light-drop is only a issue if you drive it hard or you are installed to far from optimum distance. Newer EMF-projectors that also drive their crts thougher(with more light output) are also more in danger due to their tighter spot size and if their owners utilizes all the 'horse-power'.

But used with just a little common sense it last a lifetime without severe degradtion.

MikeM, I have seen G70's driven in overdrive on very big screens well over 5000 hours and still going strong with a good result(sure they have some wear), so with your use, I wouldn't be suprised that you easily can double your estimate and still don't see any wear.

Keep in mind that wear usually comes from overdring the crts, so if you arent, you want see any burn ever. Surely the crt's will at some point degrade in light-output and focus, but that is very long down the road.

Keep enjoying.

Per Johnny

PS! I do think that all you G90 owners should be extra careful and turn over your pj's to me well before they reach 5000 hours just be sure that their crts dosen't blow up at your place.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
But what about HDTV? You're missing a treat. A very special (though very expensive*) 1080P treat, too.

*At least until the HD Leeza processor comes out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.