AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching a movie tonight a multiple vertical line type image would come into the picture a couple times during the beginning of the movie. I thought it may be my old XA2 HDDVD player causing the problem , but by the end of the movie it would not go away.

In disconnecting the source it turned out to be the G90 itself having the problem. It is there always now but flickers in an out.

Has anyone encountered this?

Please open attached photo's to view.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The photo generated through a DVDO VP50 white screen shows the problem the best.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
When you say you disconnected the source, you mean you disconnected the DVDO entirely and had only the internal G90 patterns? Or that you disconnected the HD-DVD player from the DVDO?

I'm not clear whether you were still always looking at DVDO sourced images, and not only the G90 in isolation...

Because that looks like a DVDO problem to me, but I say that only tentatively because I don't have experience with the G70/G90 so maybe that problem is possible on that, I've just never seen that on a CRT before. That reeks of digital glitch...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The flickering vertical line pattern is in the image and goes in and out with no video source or cables connected to the projector.

The flickering vertical line is shaped nothing like the internal grid pattern of the G90.

The VP50's internal white screen helped display the problem vividly.

Connecting the BluRay player directly to the projector without the VP50 does not help. I also tried switching out the Moome EXT-HD v.2 with an HD Fury and it is still there, eliminating the HDCP remover causing the issue.

In disconnecting all input to the projector the flickering vertical lines are still there.

The flickering vertical lines are off to the left and about 2/3's of the screen wide.

Also, the G90's video image playing through a source is stable and perfectly uneffected.

Thank you for the help and interest!

·
Registered
525 Posts
If its happening on all 3 tubes and you've eliminated the video source as the root of the problem, the next step would be to try swapping boards to see which is causing your problem. Talk to Curt as he may have a good idea where to start the troubleshooting.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Never seen that before, but it could be the Ya board, H output board or V output board. Maybe even the RGB input board. I do have a bunch of spare boards, do you want to send the above boards in for me to test and repair?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Have you tried doing a software reset to factory defaults?

Remeber to save your calibration data.

Have you checked to see if there are any possible error codes displayed on the back of the G90 error code window either flashing quickly or remaining on? Try turing the G90 off and on from the hard switch first while looking at the error window followed by turning the G90 on via the remote to the point that you start to see the patterns.

It does look to be an unusual pattern.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow Alan, I haven't seen anything like that on a G90 before either. All the boards curt mentioned could be it, or it could be a power supply board too I suppose (GA or GB).

Good luck.

craigr

·
Registered
893 Posts
There was an AVS member some years back with a G90 constantly inserting OSD's onto the image. I wonder if this could be similar. I think I remember he had a bad YA, but I don't recall if it turned out to be IC421 or not.

craigr

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would PM JohnHWman and link him to this thread. He is very good with G90 logic.

craigr

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I moved some of the boards that were readily visble with the cover off in their slots and when fired up the projector the image was fine.

After about 15 minutes the problem with the flickering lines were back. (Is it possible it's a leaky cap losing voltage?)

If anyone has a diagram to identify the different board locations in the projector before taking them out would be a big help.

Are the type of boards they are actually printed on the board itself?

I will get into the project over the weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Martin, Thank you for the offer. I did find a G90 service manual via Google through a John Wyman site that had the manual with all the info.

Now the journey starts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts