AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where should I set my gain level on my LFM-1 plus when calibrating with Audyssey? Should I put it at a high level and let Audyssey lower it or keep it around the mid point?

The reason I am asking is because I previously had a Velodyne subwoofer that lost all dynamic capabilities if I set the gain on anything less than about 90% so I set it there and then turned the bass way down on the receiver. Is Outlaw the same way? Anyone with HSU experience should feel free to chime in as I think the Outlaw and HSU subs use very similar designs.

Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have my LFM 1+ set at about 10:30 on the dial and Audyssey set it right at 0DB. Thats my room/setup of course so YMMV. I hope you are enjoying your LFM1+. I am very happy with mine set in MO mode and enjoy it for both HT and music. It was just a tad 'muddy' for music in ME mode for my tastes.

Have fun with yours !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann /forum/post/15573581

I have my LFM 1+ set at about 10:30 on the dial and Audyssey set it right at 0DB. Thats my room/setup of course so YMMV. I hope you are enjoying your LFM1+. I am very happy with mine set in MO mode and enjoy it for both HT and music. It was just a tad 'muddy' for music in ME mode for my tastes.

Have fun with yours !!

Thanks. I have a pretty large room so I might try it just straight up at 12 o'clock.

I'm surprised you have found it cleaner with the MO mode as opposed to ME, I have found the opposite to be the case so far but I might have to try playing with it some more. I guess the more efficient mode (MO) technically should be the cleanest sound.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
experiment

If your subwoofer level trim in the receiver ends up too far off from "0.0db", adjust the sub's gain accordingly and rerun Audyssey. If it is way too far off, and beyond the range of the level trim, Audyssey will let you know.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had mine set at 12 but even after calibration it would bottom out and give off an occasional, very alarming, 'popping' sound.

I agree with the other sound advice given, try different settings and what works in your room may be way off from what works for another set up. I also always check where the settings are for each speaker after calibration.

I like listening to music so MO was cleaner for my ears as far as SQ goes. It still gives plenty of OOOPH for my HT tastes as well though. It took a lot of experiementation and placement options before I got it where I really liked it overall. It could certainly go a bit deeper for HT. I get plenty of window rattling rumble just like it is. So since it's capable of doing that quite effortlessly, how much rumble do you need ? I would consider my rook medium size but it does open into the dining area.

My fronts are full range spec'd down to 25hz (for what that's worth) so I'm getting some help from them down to 40hz where I have the crossover set. That's probably hekping me get away with running in MO mode.

But you need to tune everything for what YOUR ears like. The LFMS1* offers you plenty of flexibility so I know you'll have plenty of fun getting there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts