AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have one of the Galaxy IPTV boxes. It runs the same software as the Netgear EVA700 and the Snazio 1350 that I have. I believe that software comes from Syabas, and as such the Galaxy box has the same bugs as a number of the other players. I can get it to play my music and some of my video files, others won't play at all. If there are specific features and functions you are curious about, PM me.

I'm going to start a separate thread on the software that runs on these products. I now have 5 different "network DVD players" (for lack of a better term) and I believe probably 4 of them run similar software from Syabas. I don't know what the Syabas model is, if they provide fixes, or simply sell the code and then each company is responsible for fixes, or some hybrid model, but each of these units has their own annoyances...

·
Registered
871 Posts
I emailed their sales department on Monday with a few questions. It's not Thursday night, and I have yet to get a response. This has scared me away from the product. What I had asked, however, was:

(1) Does the device support DVD menu navigation? If so, in what formats can I rip DVDs so that I can still have menu navigation?

(2) Does the device play WMA Lossless audio files?

(3) Can the device play Napster subscription music files?

FYI, I plan to stream the media from a Windows XP PC over a 10/100 wired network.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Galaxy 3500 and I have had no real problems, just annoyances. The stop button doesn't always stop the video on the first press. I have been able to view many AVI movies and jpeg pictures. What I haven't been able to do is update my firmware from 1.4.10.29 to 2.0.10.41. All I get is the version installed and not the new version. It does not seem to recognize the loader file.

Does anyone have any ideas on why? I have a firmware folder and have the three files stored there.

Help anyone?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Galaxy 3500. What it does w/hardware is impressive. However better software would make it *much* better.

Biggest Negs:

1) Music: I haven't been able to play more than one song at a time. The unit apparently doesn't understand m3u files.

2) Videos: Moving around in a video is not obvious. Actually, I am not very sure it works consistently between different methods of playing videos.

3) It will not mount ext2 partitions. So how do you get it to play video files larger then the Windows max of 4GB (2GB is the code using signed int). (I half expected it to as the thing is suppose to be running Linux.)

Biggest Pos:

1) It will play from MythTV's UPNP server - out of the box!

2) It will mount FAT32 (don't know about NTFS).

3) It has Optical SPDIF out for multiple channel sound.

Untested (anyone know?):

1) Does it play DVD ISO images?

2) Does it understand DVD menus?

3) Does it understand other audio formats (OGG, FLAC,...).

Hardware questions (again, anyone know?):

1) This thing has a PCI (mini?) expansion socket for a wireless card. Anyone try it yet? Did you buy the 802.11 from the OEM or did you use another brand?

2) This thing has the target for IDE Data and Power. Anyone populate it and try it? It might be able to be a self contained HDD video player. Maybe even a NAS. Or maybe if a PATA DVD drive was installed, the unit may be able to play DVDs.

Software questions:

The processor is a SigmaDesign with an ARM core. I believe SigmaDesign is common in many Video Clients. Are there any efforts to port an open source Linux to this platform? This would leave the door open to many new open source based features such a native MythTV support or Slimserver music client.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Galaxy 3500 a few months ago (and have since returned it) for an application to stream pictures to an LCD. I agree with your assessment of its capabilities and faults. I did buy the wireless card from Galaxy before I got the unit, not realizing it was a standard miniPCI. Although I used the Galaxy miniPCI wireless card, I'm sure any miniPCI wireless card would work, so don't pay the premium for the card they sell. When I returned the main unit, I ended up installing the wireless card in an old laptop, and it worked perfectly, so there is definately cross compatibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a Galaxy IPTV 3500 last week and hooked it up to my denon 4802 through the RCA video connection. The picture quality was really good but I wanted it in component. So I changed it but for some reason the quality was not good at all. Last night I changed the video setting in the menu and now I have no picture at all. Here are my questions:

Is there an external factory Reset on the box? I looked and couldn't find one.

There is absolutely no video output to my TV. Since I changed it to D720i, I have no video on my tv. How can I fix this?

Is there a series of key strokes on the remote control? I'm at a lost here.

What is the company website? is there a contact number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataga /forum/post/0

I purchased a Galaxy IPTV 3500 last week and hooked it up to my denon 4802 through the RCA video connection. The picture quality was really good but I wanted it in component. So I changed it but for some reason the quality was not good at all. Last night I changed the video setting in the menu and now I have no picture at all. Here are my questions:

Is there an external factory Reset on the box? I looked and couldn't find one.

There is absolutely no video output to my TV. Since I changed it to D720i, I have no video on my tv. How can I fix this?

Is there a series of key strokes on the remote control? I'm at a lost here.

What is the company website? is there a contact number?

Thanks!

Well... I have mine apart, so I can't experiment. Did you try that VIEW/DISPLAY button? You might try to drop back to using the composit video to see if that works. I can tell you - there is no reset button. The home page is:
http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Products/3500tvisto.html

...but I don't know if that will do you much good. The OEM for the processor is:
http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/index.html

...but, again, I don't know if that will do you much good either.

I like to use the s-video. Biggest bang for the buck comes from separating the color from the luminance. I never though component made it that much better. Also, some NTSC TV's have component inputs. So don't assume that all component interfaces are the same.

I'd say read the manual - ask around - take it easy and have another go - I still would drop back to composit just for now (testing)...

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the info. I guess i am going to try hooking it up directly to my TV and sit there and change the tv mode on the remote.

one BIG problemi have is the green power light stays on whether the unit is on or not. the only time it turns off is if i shut it off at the toggle switch

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataga /forum/post/0

thanks for the info. I guess i am going to try hooking it up directly to my TV and sit there and change the tv mode on the remote.

one BIG problemi have is the green power light stays on whether the unit is on or not. the only time it turns off is if i shut it off at the toggle switch

I wouldn't worry about it. When LEDs first hit the market they drew around 20mA. Now 3mA is common. And besides, you never really turn anything off anymore. Both my computers and stereo rack glow at night.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own the IPTV and I love it. I stream video (mostly HD), music & pictures to it without a problem. If you have the hardware hooked up correctly simply toggle through the outputs via the View/Display button which someone mentioned until you get a screen.

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions or problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrys /forum/post/0

I own the IPTV and I love it. I stream video (mostly HD), music & pictures to it without a problem. If you have the hardware hooked up correctly simply toggle through the outputs via the View/Display button which someone mentioned until you get a screen.

Wow, I tried it and like what the hardware can do, but the Syabas user interface is lacking. I wish someone would make an open source version. Maybe I am not seeing what you are.

First question:

How do you play more than 1 song at a time?

-thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrys /forum/post/0

that is exactly what i was looking for, can it play/stream HD AVI files like DivxHD or xvid (encoded at 720P off the torrents
). Since my tv is no where near my pc i would probably play them off a USB Hard Drive (or maybe get a wirless card but Hard Drive will be my choice), so again can you confirm if it plays DivxHD and other AVI files at 720P (not upconversion just standard 720P) off the attached USB Hard Drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi...

Was wondering, is anything known about the hardware or software in a Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG player?

Opening the box (which, evidently, the end user is suppose to do to add the miniPCI wireless card) reveals a number of interesting things. The processor is a Sigma Design ( www.sigmadesigns.com ) 8621L. This, I believe, has an ARM core. The miniPCI connector for the wireless is on one side of the card ready to be used. On the other side is a target for what looks like an IDE interface. Next to it is a target for the IDE power supply (5, gnd, gnd & 12). On the other side of the IDE connector there is a 2 pin target which routes to the IDE connector's disk access line. So, this is probably the access LED indicator.

Sigma Design makes chips that go into other media clients (some, I think, with hard disk drives) and DVD players. So it may be possible to expand the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG player by adding a local hard disk drive or even a DVD drive. (Is the MG-350 also a Sigma Designs 8621L based media client running Syabas software?)

Also, the USB chip used in the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG has 4 USB ports. But only two are routed to connectors. The Galaxy's manual says it does not support USB hubs, so accessing the other two ports might be necessary for some users.

It has been pointed out in other threads that the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG uses Syabas software. I believe this is a version of uCLinux with, perhaps, busybox? Syabas software is used in many other media players. From their web site, it looks like they have two versions. One for networked media players and one for DVD players. Can anyone comment on this? At first this software appeared very limited with many features common to other players missing. Discovering its idiosyncrasies makes it more usable. However, it would be nice to access other open source efforts (i.e. mythtv) natively instead of using UPnP.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misko /forum/post/0

I'm going to start a separate thread on the software that runs on these products. I now have 5 different "network DVD players" (for lack of a better term) and I believe probably 4 of them run similar software from Syabas. I don't know what the Syabas model is, if they provide fixes, or simply sell the code and then each company is responsible for fixes, or some hybrid model, but each of these units has their own annoyances...

Hi Misko...

Did you ever start a new thread specifically on Syabas?

I think they support their software by making some if not all available for download. However, if you don't know the name of the download package you are probably out of luck as it would appear these are intended for the products them selves to download.

So where is this thread?

...thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
regarding the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG Digital Media Gateway Divx player, how are people's experience with the unit?

i was planning on getting one and attaching an external enclosure of ripped movies (courtesy of netflix )

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5000 /forum/post/0

Hi Misko...

Did you ever start a new thread specifically on Syabas?

I think they support their software by making some if not all available for download. However, if you don't know the name of the download package you are probably out of luck as it would appear these are intended for the products them selves to download.

So where is this thread?

...thanks

Looking back through my posts, I guess I never did
Sorry.

Must have spaced out... I haven't spent much time looking at the Syabas software to see if it can be "customized" as I've been fiddling with the MVIX box in my too little spare time.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misko /forum/post/0

Looking back through my posts, I guess I never did
Sorry.

Must have spaced out... I haven't spent much time looking at the Syabas software to see if it can be "customized" as I've been fiddling with the MVIX box in my too little spare time.

Wow, the MVIX box looks a lot like the MG-350 doesn't it? I assume an internal HDD, Syabas software built on top of OpenSource software like BusyBox, uCLinux and the like and a Sigma Design chip set - probably the 862x series? Have you looked inside to find out?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts