AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the next year I most likely will be upgraded from my current Paradigm monitor 11's V2.

So far My price range is under 2500$

My two current choice are Hyperion 938 which have gotten rave review as Watt Puppy killers
and Gallo reference 3.1's

In the used market the Hyperion's can be had for around $2500-2800 and the Gallo's for around $1800-2000

Does anyone have any first hand comparisons with these, any advice on speakers in that price range that far out perform their price by a wide margin?

you can check out the links in my sig for my complete system.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I haven't heard the Hyperion but I did audition and very much liked the Gallos. I just might end up getting a 5-speaker Gallo rig (ref 3.1 fronts, ref av surrounds, ref av center). I'm close to making a purchase...

I did find the Gallos to be bright but the room had floorboards and some glass so that might explain it (and everything I've read suggests they are anything but bright). I have also read that the Gallos like lots of power so that may be an issue for you.

FWIW:

I auditioned the Paradigm Studio v4 (60s/100s) and they are definitely not for me. The mids were muddy to my ears and the highs were not smooth. I can't imagine buying anything Paradigm after hearing those. My girlfriend commented that she thinks of them as a "high end Bose" (mentioned this for laughs, no offense to the myriad of Paradigm owners).

I was keen on Von Schweikert over Gallo but VSA seems to be going out of business again. Note that I have never heard the VSAs as there is no Aussie distributors and I would have had to buy on blind faith / reviews / user comments here.

Other speakers I am considering are the Dynaudio Contour range but they're way more expensive than the Gallos here in Australia. I know they're way out of your price range, I only mention to give you an idea of what I'm looking at vs Gallo. They're more than likely a superior speaker.

In the end the Gallos are just so sexy I could live with them in my living area for a long time. If I had a dedicated HT room the industrial design would be less significant. Still, I would not buy them for looks if they didn't sound good.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gallo's are looking pretty interesting to me. Do they match up well with Magnepan's? I have a couple of magnepan surrounds and may replace my paradigm center speaker with a magnepan center and then get either the Gallo's or Hyperion's as my front speakers.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand not mixing and matching brands but the Magnepans seem to be pretty neutral which is why I may replace my paradigm center with a Magnepan center then my top end will match, To me that would allow me to be more varied with my front speakers.

I also researched the Duevel Planets and they look interesting.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I used to own paradigm studio 100s v3. I upgraded to the gallos ref 3.1. I personally find the gallos to be very neutral. Soundstage and imageing are exceptional. I've never heard any other speaker, even some 2x there price range best the gallos in this area. There not for everyone but at there price range and even higher up the chain, I found no other speaker to perform better than them.

I haven't found powering them to be a problem. I use a rotel reciever that powers the 4 references with 100w a piece. I'm running a sub too crossed over at 80hrtz. I listen to music at over 95 dbs sometimes and it's never been a problem. They go louder than my ears would ever want them too. Just make sure that you buy a power source that you know the numbers they are giving you are solid and aren't fudging on the specs.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My amp is a Lexicon 512 which is just a re badged Bryston 9BST, it's considered a pretty good neutral amp.

You mentioned they were not for everyone what qualaties of the Gallo's might turn people off?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tanaka can you describe the differences in your mind between the Studio V3 and the Ref 3.1?

I auditioned both and the Gallo was superior hands down, however the room I heard the Studios (V4) in was less than ideal as there was a shop window behind me.

I am just about to order Ref 3.1, Ref AV Center and Ref AV Surrounds. The Surrounds are a bit pricey compared with speakers like Von Schweikert who do a surround for 1K.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r /forum/post/0

I am just about to order Ref 3.1, Ref AV Center and Ref AV Surrounds. The Surrounds are a bit pricey compared with speakers like Von Schweikert who do a surround for 1K.

Hi Erav,

Before you order your AV Surrounds, you may to check out the Adiva ti's. I have spoken with the Vice President of National Sales for Gallo and he uses these in his system instead of the AV's. If you mainly use your surrounds for movies and not music, the Adiva's at 1/4 the price may work fine. I have the 3.1's and got a great deal on them 3 months old. I just cannot justify paying more for the AV's than the 3.1's. At, $1200 each, and the 3.1's at $3000/pair, I would rather just get some more 3.1's and have a perfect system. JMHO

Steel

·
Registered
136 Posts
coildsteel - A lot of Gallo owner's have cheaper surrounds but from what I've read on the Gallo owner's thread, they are not as close a match with the 3.1's as Gallo would have one believe. Films seem to be increasingly active in the surrounds (new films vs old) so I don't want to skimp on them.

I know the 3.1's are almost the same price as the AVs, but for surrounds the AVs will require a lot less room - I don't have lots of space between the couch and the walls.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee /forum/post/0

My amp is a Lexicon 512 which is just a re badged Bryston 9BST, it's considered a pretty good neutral amp.

You mentioned they were not for everyone what qualaties of the Gallo's might turn people off?

SOME people find them a tad bright. Others say the "music gets away from them sometimes"...I'm honestly not sure what that means. Some people say they are airy. When I think airy I think martin logan and magnepan, I don't personally find them airy. Maybe some people like "boxy" sound but I don't. I like my music to sound like it's not coming from a speaker at all. And then of course there are the looks. You either like them or you don't.

eRav3r,

The paradigms are great speakers but the gallos sound a bit,

less muddy in the midrange

more detailed

less like the sound is coming from the speaker

wider sounding(actually soundstage is enormous)

Those are the things that I can point out. But overall they sounded more refined and dynamic, esspecially with live shows.

I also love female vocals and they just sound more pure and natural on the gallos.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks tanaka, your critique of the Gallos and Paradigms matches my audition notes, though I did find the Gallos to be bright (however the room had floorboards and a glass coffee table).

The Gallos are incredibly expensive in Australia but I've organised a decent price point that makes a local purchase worthwhile. After weeks of auditioning and some negotiations, I've just now arranged a deal on the lot.

I can wire across the money now but am giving myself a couple days "cooling off" period just so that I can be sure I'm making the right choice. Though the Gallos are good value, when you add up the cost of 5 speakers + big amp its very price.

I'm buying (from the one supplier):

Sunfire TGA-7400

Gallo Ref 3.1/pr

Gallo Ref AV/pr

Gallo Ref Center

Running that with my Velodyne CHT-10 and Denon 2807 for pre/pro.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wow! Sunfire amp and velodyne sub! Very nice! You obviously take audio very seriously.

Your being smart by waiting and figuring out if you really want the gallos.

It doesn't hurt to audition around a little more too if you can.

And also, if possible, try listening to the gallos in an environment that isn't as bright to see if your ears get fatigued. If they do, then you should try another brand.

But if you DO decide to buy them and get them home and they sound bright, you can always dampen the room a bit or eq the sound a tad if that is possible. Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.