AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've got the home theater set up and my next purchase will be a gaming console. I am trying to decide between the PlayStation 2 and the Xbox and need some advice. Due to a medical condition, I have very limited use of my hands and the controllers I've looked at require a lot of manual dexterity. Can anyone suggest a controller for either system that has a simpler layout of the controls? More space between buttons, bigger buttons and something designed to sit on a flat surface rather than being held in two hands would help. I've seen a couple arcade joysticks that look like they might work better but don't know if they would work with most games or only the arcade stuff. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Jim,

Just out of curiousity is there any reason you're not considering a GC? I personally like the GC controller the best over any other. If the console doesn't have any games you like then I understand, but if you haven't considered it I would definitely look into it because it does have some fun games and can be bought for cheap.

Now, I would say the main issue is that you just need to stick with games that have simple controls. Both the standard PS2 and XBOX controllers have a comfortable feel to them and have intuitive button layouts. While all the buttons seem somewhat intimidating, it's rare that all of them are used. I wouldn't be so concerned with the controller layout as much as just picking games that are fairly simple in terms of controller use. Games like racing games where you have a button for the gas and one for the break should definitely be easy on the hands :)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Didn't someone come out with a retro NES style game pad that was square and flat? I'm thinking this would be perfect but I'm not so sure what system it was for.

I'll have to look around a bit.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would agree with Reaper's advice. Of course it doesn't specifically need to be the soul caliber edition, but a large arcade joystick sounds right. The buttons are laid out on top and they are large. The controller is flat and can be placed in front of you. Here's an XBOX on that has the black and white buttons:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801759

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.