Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I purchased a KD-CTCA2 adaptor from http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp...ct_ID=KD-CTCA2

to use my gamecube with my computer monitor.

I get nothing on my computer monitor except this message:

"Input 1: 15.7 KHZ / 60HZ

OUT OF SCAN RANGE

CHANGE SIGNAL TIMING"

I have a Sony GDM-FW900 computer monitor.

I looked at my computer monitor manual and my monitor supports 30-121 kHz Horizontal scan, and it seems that the gamecube is outputting a signal that is 15.7 kHz horizontal scan rate.

How can they say that this adaptor is gamecube compatibe if they know that monitors support scan rates above 30kHz?

Does anyone have this configuration and got it to work?

Can anyone help me please?

I wanna play Resident Evil, NOW!!!

Sean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
you need to put the GC into VGA more before it will output 31.5khz and work on the monitor.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Startup and menu are in 480i, so there's nothing the transcoder can do for you. Just one of the myriad of reasons I returned my CTCA2 way back when. Luckily, the GC outputs analog and digital video simultaneously. What you can do is run the Analog video (composite or Svideo) through a different output just to see what's going on and get games to force into progressive mode (often requiring that you hold B during boot and then answering a question whether you want the game to boot into progressive scan or not). Now, not all games support 480p, so the transcoder will do nothing for you on those.

The way I had it set up was that I had the analog video running into my capture card on my PC and used DScaler for that, and I had my transcoder running into one of the ports on my KVM switch (I use a 4 port Belkin E-Series; nice and cheap). I would run DScaler through till I got the GC running in progressive then simply click over to the transcoder's port. Problem with that setup was that if there was power to the transcoder, its output into the switch was enough to interfere quite badly with every other source that ran through the switch as well (both PCs and the Dreamcast I had running through it), so I had to pull power from it or remove it from the switch when I wasn't using it. Another thing that made the setup less than optimal was the CTCA2's handling of color. Everything was washed out, requiring severe changes in my monitor settings (mine doesn't have any memories, so this destroyed the settings for actually using my PC). The last straw for me (and this will likely just be me) was the fact that using the digital video out overwhelmed my mod, leaving my switch modded JPN GameCube in JPN only mode while I was using it (seems about 50/50 occurence for folk using switch modded JPN GameCubes; I just wasn't lucky).

Since that time (last October), I've migrated completely away from using any sort of transcoder, KVM switch, and even VGA box for the Dreamcast in favor of a noiseless, clutter-free DScaler setup. I've got one of those S-A/V cables that has ends for GC/N64, DC and PS1/PS2, so I don't even need an A/V switch and the accompanying mass of extra cables. Its very streamlined, and the visual quality difference (assuming optimal monitor adjustments for each) is minimal (all the swtiches and interference from all the extra gear and whatnot really killed any advantages the transcoder may have had). So, the end result with useability and bulkiness of both setups figured in, the $40 IOMagic PC PVR grabber card I use, $20 multi-console S-A/V cable and free DScaler setup beat the pants off the $300 transcoder, $100 KVM swtich and the roughly $100 worth of extra video and power cabling of my old transcoder rig.

Good luck with your rig.

Kensai

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ugh. The difference between a DScaler'ed SVid XBox and a transcoded (CVC-A2) progressive output is like NIGHT AND DAY on a capable setup. Same for GC.. The VGA box output of the DC is also a completely different league from its scaled interlace alternative.

This is already true for mid- to highend scalers (Far., Viga.), and even more so with a DScaler setup with a normal SVid card (tried about 8, the best being the Falcon).

Quote:
Its very streamlined, and the visual quality difference (assuming optimal monitor adjustments for each) is minimal...
As i said, I strongly disagree. When there was only a minimal difference, then either your setup isn't very revealing or your seating distance is high.

Quote:
...(all the swtiches and interference from all the extra gear and whatnot really killed any advantages the transcoder may have had).
Eh, no. Even with a chain like XBox->Component Switch->Transcoder CVC-A2->Switch->Projector, the difference is huge. That chain has basically zero impact on the signal quality at a low rate of 31.5kHz.

Quote:
So, the end result with useability and bulkiness of both setups figured in, the $40 IOMagic PC PVR grabber card I use, $20 multi-console S-A/V cable and free DScaler setup beat the pants off the $300 transcoder, $100 KVM swtich and the roughly $100 worth of extra video and power cabling of my old transcoder rig.
Yes, the S-Vid setup wins on useability and bulkiness. So if you are more interested in a convenient system rather than best PQ, a S-Vid setup is just fine.

The only sad point is that there are few GC games that support 480p. Resident Evil doesn't for example, which is terrible.

Heck, i hate playing anything on the PS2 due to the terrible PQ. The interlace output is the typical filtered blurry mess.

Oh, well, just my 2 cents.

Regards

Bjoern

[Sorry, if my post seems rude. Its just that my experience with these issues is totally different from yours, and i am completely puzzled how you came to your conclusions]

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Yeah, what he said.

Seriously, though, I went from dscaler to transcoder with my XBox and the difference was significant. I wouldn't characterize the difference quite as strongly as Bjoern. (Bjoern stated it as only an anal-retentive German can. ;) ) But the degradation from your previous video chain would have to be pretty severe to outweigh the improvement from 480i to true 480p.

I use a Kramer VGA auto switcher to automate the switching. Yeah, this added another $100 to the cost but I view these costs relative to my entire video setup and not relative to the XBox. (I'm glad consoles are priced for the teenage market because they are an incredible bargain compared to what I'm used to spending on equipment.)

And I agree with Bjoern about the PS2. The low resolution, interlaced output is so distractingly bad that it detracts from my enjoyment of the games.

Now, if someone would release a 480p scaling solution that doesn't cost $2000+ I'd be in heaven.

-Dylan

·
Registered
923 Posts
Bjoern,

On your setup, I have no doubt that what you're saying is true. Sean's rig is just a 24" 16:10 CRT, so its not going to be that much more revealing than my 17" CRT, at least not relative to the difference between my monitor and your 9' screen. I can definitely see the difference, and I know that most folks around here are always looking for that last bit. On my setup, though, the results are marginal at best (and I'm the guy who can see all the noise in the picture while using DScaler). When I'm examining for PQ, I was easily able to determine that while the transcoder's image was slightly softer, that resulted in an image that "felt" more solid than the DScaler image, and I did very much like that quality. Projected like in your HT, I can see how the difference between the two would be magnified and thus the difference very obvious, and obviously worth the extra $$$ and effort.

All I had to test it with were the GC games Wave Race and Smash Brothers DX (JPN of course; SB DX has just come out the week previous in Japan). Wave Race looked phenomenal. The water was so transparent, but obviously present. Smash Brothers, however, did not seem to benefit as much (the switch to progressive is buried in its options menu, kinda like Rogue Squadron). I would love to have gotten it to work on my US games. I could have A/Bed Crazy Taxi on both the GC and the DC in 480p (over DScaler, the GC has an obvious edge in video output using screen grabs of identical shots from both versions). If I didn't have to return it so quickly, I might have been able to A/B Sonic Adventure 2 as well between the two consoles.

The end difference was noticeable to me, and I dearly wanted to throw more money at the problem so I could keep the transcoder, but when it all comes down to playing the games, I couldn't see the difference then. I mean what's the point of playing if all you're going to do is narrow your focus off the playing part and watch the pixels with a critical eye? On a big projection setup like yours, I'm sure the problems with my method would be glaring and make playing difficult or even completely unenjoyable (like when my old WinTV FM developed those evenly space colums of visual noise; I tried everything I could to fix them myself and once I failed, immediately went out and bought my IOMagic PC PVR card; I just couldn't play like that), but on a relatively small CRT, the difference wasn't great enough to justify with that kind of money. The $400-$500 I recovered by returning the transcoder and selling off my KVM gear has purchased an aweful lot of software (more games, DVDs, etc.) over the intervening months, and that's where the real deal is, IMHO.

Of course, I would likely be wide eyed and slack jawed the entire time if I were invited to come play in your pool. Maybe if I win the lottery or write a best-seller I'll upgrade to something more like that. Until then, I'm pretty much stuck muddling by as best I can with bargain basement components (my entire audio setup is either free or cannibalized from cheap PC audio parts, just for one example), which accoring to my friends and family has netted quite good results (must mean I'm the only one around here that's obsessed with quality, eh?).

Anyway, no offense taken. Sean needed to hear an opinion from the opposite end of the spectrum. One of these days, I need to find someone with a real HT that'll let me play with all the toys myself =-p

Kensai

·
Registered
923 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to comment on the P2. I seriously can't stand its video output. Even on the fuzziest of televisions, the crawl drives me nuts. I've never had one in the house to try it on DScaler, but I wouldnt' be terribly hopeful of the results.

Kensai

·
Registered
307 Posts
I see that you guys know a lot about getting the best out your game consoles PQ-wise. I'm just wondering what the native formats on Dreamcast and Gamecube are. I bought a VGA adapter for my Dreamcast and I'm wondering if it is taking a direct VGA signal from the Dreamcast or converting another format to VGA. Does anyone know what happens internally in the Dreamcast to get composite or s-video output? Thanks for bearing with my questions!

·
Registered
973 Posts
The VGA box for the Dreamcast (at least one that's doing it correctly) outputs real 640x480 VGA instead of converting NTSC to VGA. On my front projector setup the difference between S-video->QuadScan (720P) and native VGA is night and day. The VGA box looks much much better than tripled NTSC.

Bryan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dear Sean,

We just tested the KD-CTCA2 with Game Cube and results are very good. Picture quality on VGA monitor is exceptional. We developed a simple procedure how use it with Game Cube. Please send me an email and I will reply with the procedure attached.

The key is to set the Game Cube to 480p. Once it is set to 480p the output VGA signal will be within the scanning range of your VGA monitor that is usually starts with 32 KHz range. If you do not set the Game Cube for 480p - the default scanning in component is 480i that is 15.7 KHz and it is outside the scanning range of your monitor. My email is [email protected]keydigital.com

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean-Blaire
Hello,

I purchased a KD-CTCA2 adaptor from http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp...ct_ID=KD-CTCA2

to use my gamecube with my computer monitor.

I get nothing on my computer monitor except this message:

"Input 1: 15.7 KHZ / 60HZ

OUT OF SCAN RANGE

CHANGE SIGNAL TIMING"

I have a Sony GDM-FW900 computer monitor.

I looked at my computer monitor manual and my monitor supports 30-121 kHz Horizontal scan, and it seems that the gamecube is outputting a signal that is 15.7 kHz horizontal scan rate.

How can they say that this adaptor is gamecube compatibe if they know that monitors support scan rates above 30kHz?

Does anyone have this configuration and got it to work?

Can anyone help me please?

I wanna play Resident Evil, NOW!!!

Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.