AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this had come up before, but what have your experiences been with this service? Has anyone experienced a noticeable improvement?

I am so far less than impressed...I received notice that thanks to FastReturn, they are processing the next games in my queue today (Friday). I mailed the other 2 back on Tuesday a.m. Hardly seems any faster to me, it normally took 2-4 days to for them to receive my shipments anyway. :confused:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I was the original poster for that fast return thread you're talking about. After all of their hype, I still have not received fast return. Both of my returns since then have been over 7 days turnaround. I think they jumped the gun because I doubt my post office scans my stuff.... bastards.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I usually get a notice 2 days after I return it, which is much quicker. But then it takes the game 5 business days to get to me. Whereas it used to take a total of 8 business days turnaround, I'd say it's about 7 now. Is there a way to track regualr mail? I think they're lying as to when they say they're shipping games and when they actually do.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco
I usually get a notice 2 days after I return it, which is much quicker. But then it takes the game 5 business days to get to me. Whereas it used to take a total of 8 business days turnaround, I'd say it's about 7 now. Is there a way to track regualr mail? I think they're lying as to when they say they're shipping games and when they actually do.
In your case, I agree with you. It takes games the same amount of time to get to me, and I'm in FL. They should be in Texas sooner.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update. This service now appears to be working for me. The game I dropped in the mailbox after work last night is registered as being scanned with GameFly, and my next game is being processed as of this morning.

So this may end up being considerably better. It will probably still take 2-3 days to get here, but that sure beats a week or more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I mailed a game back on Monday and when I checked their site on Tuesday it was received as a fast return. I also received an email from Gamefly with confirmation of the PO scanning the game and the next game in my Q will be shipped. I don't believe fast return is available in all areas. Looks like I will be at home much more now.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
are there any other web based game rental programs that compete with Gamefly? i was thinking about signing up around 360 launch time, but i do wish they had an east coast distribution center.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco
I agree. I started an account about 3 weeks ago. I received 1 of the initial 2 games 5 days after they said they shipped it. 7 days later I reported the other game lost. Then they were to send the next game in my queue. I waited 8 days after they said they shipped it and reported it lost. I think I got it after 10 days. The next game in my queue was the same game and I doubt I would have got it after 2 business days. I have yet to get that game and it's been 9 days.

I'm going to cancel next week as that as when my billing month ends. For $23 I find it rediculous that they can't get me a game 5 days after the website says they shipped it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Fast return is somewhat dependant on your postal carrier too but I just had one that showed it shipped in my Q and then it did not arrive for NINE days!

I wish though that they would allow more than 3 games out at a time.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for reviving this.

Dean, you think 9 days is a *****? Try a month.

Gamefly flat out sucks. They are worse now than ever. There is no real competition...trust me I've been looking. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Sometimes fastreturn works exactly as it should, sometimes I think it makes it worse.

My latest fiasco with them.

Return Games A and B at the same time. Same mailbox and everything.

Game A scanned with fast return the next business day, new game C arrives within a week.

Game B scanned (not received) about 10 days after mailing. New Game D "ships"

Game D never arrives. Report Game D lost. Replacement is to ship immediately.

4 days later, still nothing has shipped and Game B is still shown as being rented because they still haven't gotten it from the USPS. So now I report Game B lost too. Finally my replacement game is shipping and by the time it gets here (assuming it does) it will be a month.

Something is seriously wrong with that operation.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Where do they ship to and from? Thats pretty ridiculous to take THAT long. I'm glad I saw this thread because I was going to sign up with them specifically for 360 titles, but now I don't know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree that gamefly has gotten alot worse over the last few months. FastReturn (when it actually works) works pretty nice. But for every 3 games i send back only 1 seems to actually get flagged with fastreturn. Also of the last 3 rentals I've tried to make 2 of them got lost on their way to me. Pretty unacceptable when they require you to wait 7 days after they say they ship it to report it lost. I'm thinking about canceling them and trying gamerang. Has anyone tried this service?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still have a few weeks left on Gamefly and maybe I'll try Gamerang, it looks like they have distribution centers across the US. I'm canceling Gamefly regardless. At this rate it would be a better value to buy games rather than rent.

Gamefly ships from California only.

In about 3 years with Netflix I've only had one disc get lost. I've now had 3 get lost with Gamefly since August. And that says nothing about the 10 day turnaround time when the discs actually make it here from Gamefly. I wouldn't recommend this service to you, chap.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
thanks for the info, unfortunately it looks like Gamefly is not the way to go for us east coasters. that's too bad. never heard of Gamerang, but i'll check them out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I wonder why Netflix doesn't offer a game renting service. I have Netflix and I get a new movie 2 days after I send an old one back. If I could get some package deal with movies and game rentals then I'd jump on it for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
Thanks for reviving this.

Dean, you think 9 days is a *****? Try a month.

Gamefly flat out sucks. They are worse now than ever. There is no real competition...trust me I've been looking. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Sometimes fastreturn works exactly as it should, sometimes I think it makes it worse.

My latest fiasco with them.

Return Games A and B at the same time. Same mailbox and everything.

Game A scanned with fast return the next business day, new game C arrives within a week.

Game B scanned (not received) about 10 days after mailing. New Game D "ships"

Game D never arrives. Report Game D lost. Replacement is to ship immediately.

4 days later, still nothing has shipped and Game B is still shown as being rented because they still haven't gotten it from the USPS. So now I report Game B lost too. Finally my replacement game is shipping and by the time it gets here (assuming it does) it will be a month.

Something is seriously wrong with that operation.
Well I don't know about a '*****' but it sure does make you think the disc has been lost in shipping.

My gripe is that I want more games out at one time. # is lame in a household where everyone wants games.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.