AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this has been discussed, but I don't even know what keywords to search on.

When I get my projector, I'll probably use it for both games and movies. But I'm thinking, most games are quite restricted when it comes to adjusting the resolution (and even more so - refresh rates). Let's say I have a projector with native 1365x1024 and the game is 1280x1024 or even 800x600. Is the only option to let the projector up-scale the image to 1365x1024 or is there a way to keep the game's resolution and have black bars all around? This would be to avoid scaling-artifacts of course. I've seen this option on laptops. Is there a term for this? If the projector doesn't have it, is there an external "scaler" to buy? Or a graphics card that can do tricks like this?

:confused:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
This is totally projector dependant as even with forced resolutions some games will resize and auto adjust...

I notice you quote SXGA so I assume you may have a LCOS DILA projector... Although I am not certain I think that these have a 'resize off' which will display the signal on a 1:1 pixel mapping basis... I don't know if this will be badly aligned or if you can center it etc but I would enquire if Dilard can do this as it seems to be able to handle every other task thrown at it... I know that Dilard can be used to adjust video inputs to areas of the panel for placement and size so I would assume it is possible.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, custom resolutions is even better, but I'm worried about classics like Half-Life or Counter-Strike. I don't have a DILA, I hope to get an Hitachi if the reviews are good.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
hmcgrath,

I have a 4:3 Toshiba, and right now the best I can display for games is 720x480p. When I try 800x600i the image is reeeal small. I am going to play around with the HSW, HBP, VSW and VBP on Powerstrip, but I was wondering what resolution you play your games at and if you can give me the exact settings on powerstrip?

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Max,

sorry to not be of much help, but I use a direct view 800x600 progressive display. Its nice to be able to get the game resolution wihtout much fuss, but I still wish I could get my set to do 1080i. I don't do much powerstripping lately with this set.

there is plenty of info on the forum to help you out there. and if you can't find a definitive answer with the search function don't be afraid to post a thread for your question.

I encourage you to learn as much about the topic that you can now, that way when I get a nice big screen display you will be ready to lend me a hand.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.