AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So awhile back I reinstalled Windows 7 using a new SSD I picked up. Nice and fast and I won't ever go back to a non-ssd boot drive. Anyway with the previous install I made a seperate folder for all my games on a seperate drive and as I installed the games Windows added them normally and I could see their icons in the games folder (disc based games and games downloaded from EAs store). Now that I switched drives and reinstalled Windows they no longer show up even though the full installed files are still there. I can't seem to get them to run either if I explore and use the launch icons. Any idea on how to fix this? I'm sure it's probably something I'm overlooking but any help would be appreciated.

edit Forgot to mention, the drive the games were downloaded to was previously named "J" and is now "D". Don't know if that might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the games were fully installed on the same drive when I had the OS loaded onto the old boot drive. Now that I have the new SSD as the boot drive it's like they're not even there even though the full install folder is still there. If I bring up the games folder they don't show up and if I try to launch them I get error messages saying certain .dll files are missing. I've tried troubleshooting each .exe file and have had success with only 2 games. The rest it doesn't seem to work for. I'd rather not have to go through the pain of redownloading every game as I have over 100 loaded.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
So did you actually go through the reinstall process with the games on the new drive? If not then yes the drive letter change matters because the executable file will be looking for startup files from the old drive path. Plus a lot of games automatically place important files in other areas of the drive, like My Documents. And you don't have any registry record of the games, nor will they show up on the desktop or the Start menu.

The best way to do this is either make a mirror image of the whole drive, or copy the entire game disc (along with a cracked exe) to the HDD and reinstall on the new one. Either way takes up a lot of real estate.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think I might just reinstall each game if that's gonna be the case lol. I do have a lot of older games I installed that are just taking up space so it might actually be good to clear out some space. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/19543296

Yeah I think I might just reinstall each game if that's gonna be the case lol. I do have a lot of older games I installed that are just taking up space so it might actually be good to clear out some space. Thanks!

Yeah, regular disc-based windows installs will rarely work after reformatting, even if you installed the games to a different drive. You lose any dll's it installed, registry settings, and stuff like that.

This is one thing I love about Steam. As long as your Steam directory is on a different drive you can reformat all you want and don't lose your games/config/save's. Everything is self-contained within the steamapps directory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts