AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup consists of a LT150 and I'm using powerstrip to give me a resolution of 1024x576.

If I want to play any games like starcraft or flight simulator, then it negates the powerstrip settings and displays it full as 1024x768. I would like to have it display 4:3 within my screen if need be otherwise I don't mind stretching. How can I keep the games from changing my default resolution?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Not all games will...

You can search for a thread called games that support custom resolutions if you like... Or think about the benefits of anamorphic lenses to your image for DVD and then have compressed gaming...

·
Registered
875 Posts
What about those who don't have a Projector? I have a RPTV and when I try to display 1024x768 my tv just goes blank. I believe my current setting is 848x520. I can't swap lenses, but I would still like to play some games that negate the Powerstrip settings.

Thanks!

Dizzy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Phat,

The last thread on games that support 16:9 is getting old...

Sure would be nice if people would list recent games that they have had success running in 16:9 mode.

Mike

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Karnis,

Thats what I meant by old :)

3 months ago!

Which is like 100 computer years....

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
3? More like almost 8 months old.

I have asked a couple of times on this forum re gaming, but got not much - not griping at all, so don't waste your time with flames.

I just wish games (or someone) would list whether their game supported custom rez, force feedback, etc. In this vein, I emailed some of the game mags and got nothing.

I guess they think the game will sell well enough even without our very small contribution.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Just a comment on using an anamorphic lens with games. I have been doing this for nearly a year and it is absolutely killer! I run racing simulators almost exclusively (F1 2001, NASCAR 4, SCGT, etc.). It is absolutely fabulous. The width is completely immersive and there is a 33% increase in the vertical resolution. I am projecting a 100" diagonal and am just blown away each time I drive (feedback wheel and pedals too). My driving ability has not been impacted by the mildly distorted presentation (which I suppose you could take a few ways :p). You really don't notice the compression.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Man E, side by side racing? - I have a 120" wide screen and 1 FF wheel just itching to get another and race others into the wall, off cliff, ... :)

[Edit added ? mark, oops]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I have a spare FF wheel. When I eventually build my new PC, the family gets mine and my boys and I will be racing over the LAN. Can't wait! Dibbs on the theater :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree we need a running thread to figure out what PC games can be run on 16:9 aspect ratios for widescreen HDTV's. System specs are posted below. I will offer what I have found so far:

Quake 3:

- edit the q3config.cfg to run 856 X 484 as follows

seta r_customheight "484"

seta r_customwidth "856"

seta r_fullscreen "1"

seta r_mode "-1"

Jedi Outcast:

- uses the Quake 3 engine, so edit the .cfg file to run 856 X 484 as above

-- Looks TERRIFIC on Toshiba 57".

Unreal Tournament:

- editing the custom resolutions either with powerstrip or by editing the registry in Windows will allow new res to be selectable by UT in game menu. (this is the way ALL pc games should be written)

Medal of Honor, Allied Assault

- also uses the Quake 3 engine, so should be able to implement custom resolution as described above, though I don't own the game yet.

Half-Life and Half Life Blue Shift

- no luck with this one, only able to do 640 X 480 and "squish" with Toshiba. Supposedly CounterStrike is able to do custom resolutions but I haven't tried it yet.

Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance

- no luck with this one at all other that 640 X 480 and "squishing"

System:

Toshiba 57H81 RPTV

AMD 1900+

Abit KR7A

512 MB Ram

Radeon 8500 to Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component converter

80 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

I concentrated on 856 X 484 (using 540p timings) exclusively as my Toshiba will not support 720p :( 856 X 484 fits perfectly on my system as well.

I would like to see this thread continued. It would be nice to know what games that are out now that will look nice on an HDTV wide screen tv. I may give this it's own thread if there is enough response.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do run 1280x720 but have never been able to get the custom resolution configuration to work on a quake3 engine. I run MOHAA at 800x600 and have not been able to find the .cfg file. "Alice" worked well at 16x9 and was automatically selectable. I too would like to see this thread continue. I'm less interested in shooters but somedays they fit my mood. I like the old graphic adventure games with puzzles and great graphics.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I just thought of something - for you DILA owners with DILARD, can you use DILARD to horizontally squeeze a 4:3 resolution down to a 16:9 area? Ignoring the image distortion, of course.

Andy K.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any game that uses the Quake 3, Unreal or Rogue Spear engines support 16x9.. and that's a lot of the new games these days.. Max Payne supports 16:9 too--even though the xbox version does not...

GTA3 seems to support custom 16:9 resolutions but, in-game it looks stretched.. same deal with Colin McRae Rally 2..

One game that looks really cool in 16:9 is NBA Live 2000 (older I know) but if you can get it to work reliably in Win2k/XP, playing basketball in widescreen is great!

--mike

·
Registered
875 Posts
Can The Sims be run in 16:9 or with custom resolutions? My wife would LOVE to play it on the big screen. Thanks!

Dizzy

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got a early copy of the Unreal Tournament 2003 demo and it runs at custom resolutions. I set it to 2048x768 which is my resoluion for dual monitors and it played ok.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just want to add a couple more to the list:

Grand Theft Auto 3:

- supports custom resolutions based on windows resolutions, to avoid the game being squished turn ON the widescreen in the menu along with your selected widescreen resolution...

Need for Speed, Porsche Unleashed:

- supports custom resolutions based on windows registries...

NOT supported

Madden 2002 (PC), despite trying every trick in the book I know of...

I have a copy of the SIMS and will check it out... Glad to hear UT 2003 will support us wide screeners.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thank you Eapiel! I look forward to hearing from you on Sims! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.