Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've become a game phreak as of late... never played a single game on the HTPC or PC for that matter since the Leisure Suit Larry days... anyway after I built my HTPC I started with Madden... picked up 2 USB Gravis Pads and that was cool... then I got the rest of the EA games, a USB hub and 2 more Gravis pads... then I picked up Spider-Man, Jedi: Outcast and just this past Friday, GTA3... man, it's awesome! As for that Wingman Pad... I always wanted to get one of those and I finally had an opportunity but my local CompUSA has been out of stock for months now... I'm still looking to grab one, but I do remember reading a few reviews that said the lag time on the cordless stuff will drive you crazy and not to bother with them, so I guess that's really prevented me from taking the plunge... as for the keyboard, the Airboard is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned... some people say it's too hard to control the mouse, but that just keeps them away from it. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I own two of those wireless Logitech Rumblepads and I use them exclusively on my HTPC - I'm developing an addiction to NHL 2002 on the big screen :) They are the best game pads I've ever owned. I also use Logitech's RF wireless keyboard and mouse for standard computing tasks as well as games (Quake, Jedi Knight II, flight simulators, etc).

Hopfeully, more of these wireless game controllers will be coming out. I'd love to have a wireless flight stick for flying games and a steering wheel for driving games.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Be wary of the short range on the Logitech wireless keyboards...they are only rated to 6 feet.

So far, I haven't found the perfect wireless htpc keyboard, but the best one I have tried is the Interlink Versapoint RF Keyboard. It's got nice keys, perfect integrated mouse placement, and lap/leg contours on the bottom. 100 foot range too. My only gripe is that it (like every other wireless keyboard out there) uses regular batteries. Nobody makes one with a rechargeable battery and a cradle.

It is a little pricier at ~$160US, but with the short range of the other options, you might as well be using a wire.

If I want a separate mouse I use a MS Optical Wireless.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3134310
http://www.interlinkelec.com/indexf.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want to go with wireless mouse and KB right now - go with something cheap - or just limp along with wires for now.

I know that MS will soon be releasing a bluetooth enabled keyboard/mouse combo. Pricing is not yet announced - but should work about 30 ft away. Gates announced this at the WinHEC (Windows Hardware Engineering Conference) back in April.

You see bluetooth today in some PDAs, Phones, printers. Once you have a bluetooth enabled transceiver for the computer - all devices can communicate with the PC. The MS mouse/KB combo will come with the necessary bluetooth transceiver to get you started and set up. If I remember correctly the transceiver will support up to 7 devices. So you should have plenty of flexibility on devices.

Expect more and more wireless devices to dump RF and jump onto the bluetooth bandwagon.

No firm details on which OS's will be supported - XP is certain, unsure about the others.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
although the Intel Wireless products have been discontinued they remain among the best available - especially considering you can get 4 of the wireless gamepads here for the price of one of those logitechs. My sons and friends are having a ball with World Cup 2002 from across the room playing 4 at a time with these $7.50 gamepads.

The keyboard is great as well - much further range than the logitech or MS - no problems at the 20 foot or so range

The mouse eats batteries and has a jumping problem occasionally -- but you can't beat the package at these prices

http://www.universalcomputers.com/cg...pecial=SPECIAL

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
When I was gaming on my HTPC (which I don't anymore as an XBox owner) I used the Airboard wireless keyboard at 8' with no problems, paired with a MS optical mouse with a USB extention cable. Q3A on a 56" HDTV was a superior experience, as was the SW racing game, Re-Volt, NFS:pU and a few others.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
My setup is similar to Karnis's. For games, I use my Airboard wireless keyboard paired with a MS wireless optical mouse sitting on my couch about 6 feet away from my 50" screen. I still use the mouse on my Airboard for Windows stuff 1/2 the time.

Karnis, how do you use your auxillary buttons in PC games? Such as the mouse wheel button, and the two side buttons? For many games, you can define a 3rd mouse button, but I'm not too sure how to take advantage of that.

PS: My xbox is collecting dust...

EDIT: I answered my own question. Games with DirectInput will provide full support for all butons on the mouse and take advantage of the mouse's high sample rate.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I still use my old Philips (Pronto-compatible) IR keyboard. It has a rated 40' range and I use it 90+ degrees from the HTPC with no problems. I've had an airboard and currently own the Intel -- which I use if I need to do some serious typing or FPS gaming. The Intel is truly a fantastic keyboard and the Intel Gamepad is excellent as well. Too bad they messed up the mouse. I have an old Gyropoint Pro mouse that worked great until the NiCads died. I hear they have LIon in them now -- functionally, it was a fantastic unit.

But...

I am a software guy. Would SOME Hardware person out there PLEASE CREATE A WIRELESS USB HUB!? Is it SO hard?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
When I was gaming on my HTPC (which I don't anymore as an XBox owner) I used the Airboard wireless keyboard at 8' with no problems, paired with a MS optical mouse with a USB extention cable. Q3A on a 56" HDTV was a superior experience, as was the SW racing game, Re-Volt, NFS:pU and a few others.
Aren't you just a little scared of the potential uneven phosphor condition that can develop with bright, fixed images typically found in some games? I've been tempted to wire my 65" Diamond in order to play CS, but that 'crt thing' keeps me on my 19" monitor.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Just had to post Re-Volt (remote control car simulation/racing with weapons) is AWESOME with a force feedback steering wheel.

You also should try some flight sims - really good at 100" wide w/Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar controller. m$ FlightSim2002 has the twin towers still in NY. Also, IL2 has GREAT dogfights and Commanche (sp?) has very good fire/blow-up scenes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan

Aren't you just a little scared of the potential uneven phosphor condition that can develop with bright, fixed images typically found in some games? I've been tempted to wire my 65" Diamond in order to play CS, but that 'crt thing' keeps me on my 19" monitor.
I play CS regularly on my WS-60905. No problems. No burn in.

I play in a dark room (HT room!) and keep brightness and contrast low. I have a friend with a 65" Mits that has the image-shifting thing. He plays games as well with no ill effects.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Scott, are these activities done through the VGA, component, or DTV inputs? I bought a breakout cable awhile ago, but have waited until just recently for the new PC, which I finished physically building yesterday.

I plan on trying out PowerStrip and work my way from VGA to 1080i using PS, breakout cable, and DTV input. Curious to know how you, and your friend, are doing it.

BTW, its going to be difficult testing PS custom resolutions on the 1080i end of the spectrum. My ViewSonic PS790 (19") monitor only does a max of 1600x1200 as far as I know.

I guess as long as I stick with the documentation and with what everyone else has done on AVS in using PS I should be safe, but I know all bets are off. I will also, later, give DScaler a whirl.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm having a lot of fun with "Medal of Honor - Allied Assault" at the moment. I never live long enough to worry about burn-in ;-)

I use the intel wireless combo, with a spare set of batteries in the charger at all times. It's a shame it's discontinued because it works well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the link Ralph to the Intel Wireless series!!!! I was going nuts trying to find them now that it's discontinued. I have the controller, keyboard and mouse and just love it!!!! I don't use the mouse but the controller to navigate and it works awesome!!!! And for $ 7.50 a pop (a WHOLE lot less than what I paid for when I first got it - argghhhhh!!!) I'm buying a couple more just in case.

As for the initial question and gaming - I LOVE IT!!!! Yes, it is not as great as console gaming but the games can be found for a very reasonable price and you have the luxury of updates (especially sports games and rosters) from web sites. My favorite right now is Triple Play and Spider Man. And now that chuckb mentiones GTA3 (which is great on PS2 - is it the same concept???) I'll be getting that this week.

Paul

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
you are welcome for the link - I ordered 3 of the game pads to get to a full complement but they only shipped 1 initially; but the company came through and sent the other 2 after a phone call - so they lost money on me with the shipping but it looks like a good company.

Re the mouse - I have an M$ optical usb plus I have an IR keyboard with integrated mouse in addition to the Intel keyboard. I have uninstalled the Intel mouse (even though it seemed to have the best resolution of the wireless mice when not initially activated) as its probably not a great idea to have 3 real mice plus the 4 mice available with the gamepads; along with the 2 keyboards. But you can't beat that Intel keyboard. Although the IR one works I do have to point it at the computer.

·
Registered
719 Posts
One quick question for you guys playing games...

Is it possible to use custom resolutions? I'd love to play a driving game on my 9'-wide 2.35:1 screen (1360x578).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thx all for the replies :)

one question on that Intel gamepad ... I have tvs in 2 rooms, so in one room there's going to be that wireless access point for gamepad, so it's no problem ... but other room (on the 2nd floor, right on the 1st room) ... will it have problem with distance ? ... and if I put that access point on the ceiling of 1st room ?:)

thx

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.