AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't start threads too often, but I've found that I've had to run a lot of searches to find info on particular games and whether or not they support HD resolutions. I am hoping that we can all share our experiences about games we got to run had resolutions like 1080i or 720p and start compiling a list.

The most common knowledge I've found is that all QuakeIII engine based games, like Medal of Honor, can be configured by editing a .cfg file. I've been playing MOHAA at 1920x1080i and it looks amazing.

Has anyone gotten Tron2.0 to work at a custom rez?

Sean

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is an excerpt from a post by TigerDave from another thread:

I run Windows XP Pro (SP-1) at 1776x1000. The only games I have gotten to run successfully at 1776x1000 are:

No One Lives Forever (edited a CFG file to get it to work)

No One Lives Forever 2 (edited a CFG file to get it to work)

Tron 2.0 (Lightcycle Demo) (edited a CFG file to get it to work)

Unreal Tournament 2003 (edited a INI file to get it to work)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (supports 1776x1000 right out of the box)

Midnight Club II (same as above)

Mafia (Demo) (same as above)

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (same as above, but screen is out of proportion on this one -- "squished")

and various ATI demos (edited a INI file to get these to work)

Even if a game can run at 1776x1000, very rarely do they support widescreen -- like GTA:VC and MCII do.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I answered my own question about Tron2.0. :)

I suppose if a game can run 1776x1000i it can do just about any other rez you want.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was able to edit the config file to play Soldier of Fortune II Single Player to run at 848x480. I could swear that I got multiplayer to work once but now it won't load at 848x480. It looks like its defaulting to something like 640x480 but I don't know how to tell the exact res. I read somewhere that they don't allow a wide res in multiplayer because it gives you an unfair advantage to see more in your field of vision.

I edited the Need for Speed HP 2 config files but couldn't get it to work right at 848x480. The menus seem to run at a small res like 320x240 so when I start the game I loose my display. But, if I press the Windows key on my keyboard I get back to my desktop res then I can switch back to the game and see half of the menu. The bottom half is black for some reason. Then once I start the game it will load at the wide res but you can't see the bottom of the window because it is off screen. It seems to only acknowledge the vertical res and then appropriately size the horizintal, if that makes any sense. Its been a while since the last time I tried that so I may get the nerve soon to try again.

I haven't tried Ghost Recon yet but I'll try that soon and let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The PC version of Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness can support custom res up to 1920x1080, but will lag out. 856x480 looks terrific with zero slow downs (radeon 9600). It supports 1.78:1 wide screen via a simple checkmark in the video settings. Game looks visually stunning by the way but the movement is horrific. Just adding to the list.

·
Registered
133 Posts
All Unreal-Engine based Games are supporting wide-screen-res. You have to edit the gamename.ini inside the system folders of this games.

Playing UT2004 and Unreal2 with 1920 x 1200 - look really nice (but avoid Anti Aliasing with such huge resolutions)

The roleplaying game Gorthic II is supporting all resolutions with editing gothic2.ini (zVidResFullscreenX, zVidResFullscreenY under the section VIDEO and extendedMenu=1 under the section INTERNAL)

Operation Flashpoint and Vietcong needs some editing in correspondending registry-key. After that you can play the games will all resolutions you want.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys.

I got Homeworld2 to work by specifying the resoution with switches on the executable. The instructions are listed in the readme.txt file. I simply edited the target for the shortcut to include the switches.

Tron2.0 looks great at 1920x1080, but, damn, this game is hard.

Sean

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm not much of a gamer, but a pal dropped by this weekend because he wanted to see Freedom Fighters on my Monivision. It ran perfectly (and was gorgeous) at 1360 x 768 (widescreen) and was a very cool game.

[edit]I just noticed that game doesn't release till 10/1, that'd be why I'm the only guy so far to suggest it. He had an actual game cd, not a burn, dunno how he has his, but it was a good time.

[edit II] BTW...it supported 1360 out-of-the-box, it was an option in the setup screen, so no .ini tweaking or the like needed.

Brian

·
Registered
131 Posts
Freedom Fighters is fantastic. I posted about it somewhere on the games board. It supports a number of resolutions right out of the box, including 1776x1000i. My only complaint is that the text doesn't scale up and can be difficult to read from 10' away.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nettek
Flight Simulator 2004 works nicely at 1280 x 720

Phil
Hi Phil:

What did you tweak in Flight Simulator 2004 to get it to run at 1280 x 720?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ghost recon runs fine at 1280x768. With Geforce card it shows up as a choice since this is a standard resolution. The splash screens are still 640x480.

The new "Call of Duty" demonstration is impressive and runs the Q3 engine. So for any Q3 game edit the cfg file an add:

seta r_mode "-1"

seta r_customheight "768"

seta r_customwidth "1280"

Same three lines for all Q3 games. For any game if you can find a cfg file that you can edit with a text editor chances are this will do it because its the Q3 engine.

The Q3 games I known about are:

Q3

Jedi Knight

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force

Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory

If there is another Q3 based game out there what is it?

I think Q2 games are similar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.