AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lunch time, get in the car, drive to the Gamestop in the city I work in (Elizabethton, TN) to pick up Left 4 Dead (360) and a Silicone cover for our Wii Fit Balance Board (yes, we are a Wii family again). I walk in to the store and the following conversation occurs:

Gamestop Store Manager D***head (known as GSMD from this point forward): Hey looking for anything particular today?

Me: (Waking past the counter to the Wii section) Yeah, I'm gonna get some Wii accessories and a Left 4 Dead for the 360.

GSMD: I've got lots of them used.

Me: Nah, I kinda want a new one (which I know they have because I can see several of them behind the counter.

GSMD: These are guaranteed to work, great condition, etc, etc, etc.

Me: Yeah, I just prefer new games though.

GSMD: Not interested in saving money huh? (He says while, fumbling around with something, I continue browsing the Wii stuff)

I don't reply to his obvious attempt at baiting me into a used sale.

30 seconds or so later he comes over, disc in hand and says:

GSMD: You mean you wouldn't buy that? (holding disc that is scratch free but has two fingerprint smudges on it, about a foot from my face)

Me: (getting really pissed off now, but trying to maintain some bit of civility) No, I wouldn't. I don't buy used cars, I don't buy used clothes, I don't buy used movies, and I don't buy used games.

GSMD: (walking back behind counter to answer phone) Yeah, I guess you don't like saving money then.

Me: (I don't respond, and continue to just glance at Wii items, until he gets off the phone)

GSMD gets off the phone and I casually start walking to the door to leave. 3/4 of the way there or so, he says:

GSMD: Don't you wanna get Left 4 Dead?

Me: No thanks, I'm just going to buy it at Wal-mart.

And then I close the door behind me and drive to Wal-Mart and get it there.

Now, why on Earth would someone act this way? Yes, I know they rape people that sell the games and push used stuff for profit sakes, but why be a jerk to a customer that has already TOLD YOU, he's going to spend $65 in your store? I can't imagine an employee here at the bank trying to be that way to a customer that has already declined a sales offer. That was really uncalled for, especially from a manager, and I won't be back in that store.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good for you. I hate buying used as well. Unless I have no choice because game is older and harder to find new. So I either go to Bestbuy to add to my reward points or keep my tax dollars local and goto blockbuster or walmart.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Good god that would have lit me on FIRE. File a customer complaint.

·
Registered
320 Posts
the old saying of "The customer is always right" has been dead for too long. If the economy gets bad enough maybe true customer service would make a come back.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
you should have just stated why you weren't buying it. I always do.

"we have that used if you want tos ave 5-10 bucks"

Nah I'm trying to teach Gamestop a lesson by making sure they make as little profit off me as possible.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Game stop sux. I never buy games there, they always try to pull the trick on you of purchasing a "new" game and then they have the case opened and put a disc in it from under the counter...wal-mart or BB for me

·
Banned
3,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 /forum/post/15463678

And then I close the door behind me and drive to Wal-Mart and get it there.

epic.

btw GS as a company makes way more money selling used sh!t than new because they dont split that money with the developers. its sorta like someone making a great product and selling a good number of units. then these people come in and buy it back for little money. but they resell it for almost double what they paid you for it. they just made 100% profit.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Their used pricing for relatively new games is a joke. For $5 more I would much rather get a new copy, and have that money go to the developer/publisher than Gamestop. The last few games I've bought I've been able to get from Amazon for less than Gamestop's used prices.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Move to NYC. We buy things here 24/7 with absolutely no conversation. You either want it or you dont. None of that haggling shyt.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife /forum/post/15464262

Their used pricing for relatively new games is a joke. For $5 more I would much rather get a new copy, and have that money go to the developer/publisher than Gamestop. The last few games I've bought I've been able to get from Amazon for less than Gamestop's used prices.

QFT; this is exactly why I don't shop @ GS; and I buy most of my games used; but I can't see giving them $55 for a New Used title that they paid someone else $20 for. Sure, the person who sold it is an idiot but selling me something that has been in the hands of at least 2 other people for the huge $5 savings? I'm gonna have to pass. There is always ebay and I tend to get great deals there.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 /forum/post/15463678

Now, why on Earth would someone act this way?

Because he's a 29 year old ex-stoner who just got his first $30K+ salary, just moved out of his parent's basement, and is in charge of two current stoners, and thinks he's king of the effing world.

He's a little more pushy than normal, but sadly most GS managers are like this, with the whole "mover and shaker" attitude like they're selling used cars. Games sell themselves and 90% of the time customers already know what they want, no big show is necessary.

·
Registered
859 Posts
That's why I don't shop at Gamestop. I seriously don't get the appeal. I can generally find new releases on Amazon, brand new, for as much or less than I could buy used at Gamestop and I don't have to waste my time being solicited to buy a used copy, a Gamestop rip-off card, and a subscription to Game Informer (worst magazine ever). Even better eBay will usually yield used month old titles at $10-$15 off retail and they're actually in good condition. Hell of a lot easier then digging through 20 copies at Gamestop for the one that has a case, artwork, and manual that doesn't look like it was used to line a dog house with.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/15464478

Because he's a 29 year old ex-stoner who just got his first $30K+ salary, just moved out of his parent's basement, and is in charge of two current stoners, and thinks he's king of the effing world.

On a completely unrelated off topic note, I read an article earlier today that McDonalds Managers can earn up to $62k per year in salary and also the best performers get up to 16% of their pay (with company match) placed in their 401k. I almost fell out of my chair...

·
Registered
3,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/15464478

Some of them need to go back to their old habits then. I was in a GS the afternoon/night COD:WaW came out and the 'manager' was freaking out at all the customers because he wasn't prepared for the early sale of the game (supposed to come out on Tuesday - came out at 5pm on Monday).

Crying because the line was long. Yelling at little kids who wanted their code for the M1A1. Telling some poor parent that every 360 is going to die eventually...every single one.

Now if he had just gone out back for a session and relaxed....

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
there's an hour long diatribe on youtube about how much gamestops sucks. I worked there a week and quit(I was 18 at the time) because it wasn't worth the BS. Those guys don't even get checks. They get a "money" card which gets filled up on pay day then they can transfer money out to a bank, if you want you can use it at an ATM but then it charges you extra to do that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
as stated upthread, their profit margin is greater with the used game, that's why they push them on you so hard... because they stole it from some kid who didnt know they could sell it on craigslist for better money.

i hate these guys. they want you to GIVE them what you have, then sell it at a premium. plus, the game developers dont see a dime of that 2nd sell.

since, most times, theyre only saving you $5 on a newer game, just go ahead and spend the money to get a new copy and support the guys who actually put in the time/sweat to MAKE that game youre buying, rather than the guy who rips people off and basically steals their games to sell at a (much) higher price.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts