AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in to trade a game and they wanted a lot of personal info that I don't think was needed. The salesman was SURE it was -name, address, phone, zip, birth date...what the hell do they need my birth date for? With the rampant I.D. theft we have today I really don't like to give out that stuff, so this really worries me.

Has anyone else had this experience, is this really gamestop policy? I haven't traded anything there in a long time so I don't remember how they used to do it. I think from now on I will just make some stuff up if I go back.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
they may collect this info and use it for revenue. if they can tell advertisers this percentage of customers are under 20, and this percentage are over etc... it'll help them hone in on a certain age group when they make their marketing material.

or something

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
They verify age because you have to be 18 to sell your games (but I have never been asked for my date of birth even though I look much younger than I really am) .

--- Jason

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/0

They verify age because you have to be 18 to sell your games (but I have never been asked for my date of birth even though I look much younger than I really am) .

--- Jason

Is that a recently established rule? I'm 20, but I used to trade in my games to EB Games and Gamestop all the time back when I was a teen (during those times where they gave more store credit than they do now).

·
Banned
2,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5554 /forum/post/0

Is that a recently established rule? I'm 20, but I used to trade in my games to EB Games and Gamestop all the time back when I was a teen (during those times where they gave more store credit than they do now).

Just since they started offering cash for trades.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Gamestop...I hate that place. The last time I was in there, I was picking up Donkey Kong Country for this girl I was seeing (she was hot and I was doing all I could to keep her on board, ok?!!) for the DS (GBA compatible game) and I asked this kid if they had it for the GBA. He said they had it on the original gameboy or something and I told him I need it on GBA. For some reason, he started getting testy and muttering things under his breath. He pulled out the game for the original gameboy or some other system I didn't have and I told him "no, that's not the right one". He again muttered something and I asked him what his problem was and why he was acting like a punk. I was pretty much ready to destroy this pimple faced little turd whom I towered over. He asked one of his dork coworkers if he was being a punk, and his coworker says "I don't know, I'm not paying attention". I just laughed and walked out of there. I'm a peaceful dude really I just don't appreciate awful service and attitude unjustified and I got plenty of both. As far as their info system goes, they'll never get a word of truthful info out of me and that's just how it's going to be. I'm not down with identity theft over a video game return, nor do I want to be solicited in any way. If they don't like it, I'll take my business elsewhere.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
The post about the pawn shop laws are correct, they take all this information due to federal legal requirements in case it can be traced back to a crime.

They do the exact same thing at pawn shops, guitar center or any where you trade merchandise in for trade or cash .

It's the law, don't worry about it

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S L O T H /forum/post/0

Gamestop...I hate that place. The last time I was in there, I was picking up Donkey Kong Country for this girl I was seeing (she was hot and I was doing all I could to keep her on board, ok?!!) for the DS (GBA compatible game) and I asked this kid if they had it for the GBA. He said they had it on the original gameboy or something and I told him I need it on GBA. For some reason, he started getting testy and muttering things under his breath. He pulled out the game for the original gameboy or some other system I didn't have and I told him "no, that's not the right one". He again muttered something and I asked him what his problem was and why he was acting like a punk. I was pretty much ready to destroy this pimple faced little turd whom I towered over. He asked one of his dork coworkers if he was being a punk, and his coworker says "I don't know, I'm not paying attention". I just laughed and walked out of there. I'm a peaceful dude really I just don't appreciate awful service and attitude unjustified and I got plenty of both. As far as their info system goes, they'll never get a word of truthful info out of me and that's just how it's going to be. I'm not down with identity theft over a video game return, nor do I want to be solicited in any way. If they don't like it, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Gamestop isn't all the bad, really. It's just that th customers can sometimes be obnoxious. I used to work at a Gamestop once and I remember this guy came in looking for Donkey Kong Country for the GBA. I told him we didn't have it, but he asked again anyway. I again told him we don't have it for the GBA, we only have it for the original gameboy. He didn't seem to understand me so he asked me AGAIN if we had Donkey Kong Country for the GBA. Before I could tell him again that we didn't have it, he called me a punk and stormed out.

·
Banned
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman /forum/post/0

Gamestop isn't all the bad, really. It's just that th customers can sometimes be obnoxious. I used to work at a Gamestop once and I remember this guy came in looking for Donkey Kong Country for the GBA. I told him we didn't have it, but he asked again anyway. I again told him we don't have it for the GBA, we only have it for the original gameboy. He didn't seem to understand me so he asked me AGAIN if we had Donkey Kong Country for the GBA. Before I could tell him again that we didn't have it, he called me a punk and stormed out.

I knew you were the pimple faced turd from that store. You're lucky you are still breathing after that testy exchange

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Trade-ins are such a rip off,I stopped doing that years ago.A game that you bought for $49,play it and return it a month later,they give you $20 for it and then turn and sell it for $5 less than a new copy.I try to avoid even buying from Gamestop period.I prefer getting my games from Target,Bestbuy,etc or a mom & pop store.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,

...actually I was trading for store credit because you get a little more, and I agree with dragon- why pay for a trashed game when you can get a brand new one for $5 more.

I usually don't like doing business with them, but I would rather get a few bucks back on a game I'll never play again than have it take up space and collect dust.

oh and gamepimp, couldn't they just check your ID like for alcohol instead of recording your DOB?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Another option is The Movie Trading Company if you have one in your area. They take game trades and give more than Gamestop or EB. I changed to them once I found out about that. They don't have the same selection but what they have isn't terrible. Check them out.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman /forum/post/0

Gamestop isn't all the bad, really. It's just that th customers can sometimes be obnoxious...

I know this was a joke post, but I've witnessed the folks at GameStop deal with some serious stupidity and smile through it.

Anyone who's ever worked retail has their opinion of humanity taken down a few notches. When I worked at Disney in high school I was constantly asked gems like "what time is the three o'clock parade?" and "what am I in line for?" (asked by a guy standing in a line literally 100 yards long).

That said, GameStop does seem to attract more than its fair share of idiots behind the counter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.