Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently installed my XBOX on my CRT projector, but I just thought that it might get burned due to static health meters, box scores, etc.

What do you think? Is there any danger in gaming on a CRT? What is the longest I could play without risking a CRT burn?

I usually like to play sports (with the constant score box) or First person shooters (like Halo) where you have a life meter.

Thanks for your help (as always :p )!

Improman

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Yes, there's a danger. Particularly if you run your contrast levels high.

Drop the contrast level as low as you can stand it.

ALL CRTs are susceptible to any static image burns.

The worst burns I've ever seen on direct view CRT monitors were on video games.

Play your games. Turn them off when not actually playing them. And then run the set with

normal program material afterwards. Don't use your PJ only for gaming. That can

lead to burns on the tubes fairly early, depending of course on the contrast setting as well.

CJ

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It's been said here that even an orbiter won't generally help, as the static portions of the screen are fairly large (stats line, map screen, etc.)

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Keep your contrast low, that's the best you can do. I've seen some tubes that were

worn out due to normal cathode ageing but the phosphors were still in very good shape.

Contrast and time is what burns the phosphor.

CJ

·
Registered
408 Posts
This question comes up quite a bit, but no one has ever stated that they have burned their pj or seen tubes burned by games (could be because we are all smart enough to take precautions and use or pj's for movies as well in healthy moderation). Has anyone ever seen burned static images that weren't test screens or a windows desktop?

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I've been gaming on CRT for 3 years and I have never had ONE oodle of issue with burn in. Done properly (turn down the contrast a hair and turn on pic orbiting of your PJ has the feature) you shouldn't have any issues.

Cliff

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I have played MAME games for hours on end on my 808 and not a hint of burn, but I also keep my contrast levels sane. I agree that orbiting would probably only help a little at best. Contrast levels are what you should be worried about most. And obviously make sure to "mute" the picture everytime you leave the room. Not because 5 mins. more will make a difference but I amazed how often I step out for "5 mins." and don't get back for 30 or more.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I honestly don't think you could burn a properly set CRT if you tried. You would probably have to have the same game on for 24 hours a day for years. I just took the kids bowling the other day and there are 25 year old games there with no burn on them.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
There is something of a difference between direct view CRTs (presumably what you saw at the bowling alley) and projector CRTs. A number of years ago a member fell asleep watching a movie at night and woke up 8 hours later to a burned set of CRTs (the DVD splash screen) on his G70 and it was not pretty (from the pics he posted). Now what his contrast levels are who knows but I would be careful about leaving up anything fixed on my screen continously for more than several hours. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I've got 40hrs at 100% contrast on a worn Xtra I use for gaming. Blue Kelvin is at 90% as the tube is worn.

No sign of burn in yet, but the tubes are worn, new tubes are probably much more susceptable to burn.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think if you were a regular player of one game you could burn static score areas into the screen. Using an HTPC to play games and possibly with consoles, you can play safer by turning off heads up displays when the option is available. It often is with PC games.

I'd tend to agree that a paranoid user is unlikely to burn in a tube. But there are the unaware and lazy who might leave on a game day after day and not even think about it. Kids will do it even if warned. I used to freak out when I fell asleep during a movie and woke up to see a DVD menu blaring white with text and and static images looking accusingly back at me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi there all

I am a gamer and play games on my projector, when i first started my crt hobby i used to cringe at leaving test patterns on screen for more than 2 minutes, now i just don't bother, if you watch a game of football, or the F1 (sorry to offend anyone after this years USA farce) the scores or lap counters are stuck in blinding white for 90+ minutes, I havn't a hint of wear on my tubes yet and my CRT is my only display device.

Be safe, knock your brightness and contrast down a tad, don't expect LCD/DLP levels of brightness when playing games and like said previously, give it a rest every hr or so.

Best regards

James

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just recently I've been playing (PC) Guild Wars (thanks cliff) and it has consumed my projector. I have the contrast at a reasonable level and the orbiter on low.

However, I think for this game I am going to switch over to a CRT Monitor. I found a local deal on a 21" CRT for $75.

Eventually when its all said and done, I plan to have the 8111+ as my Gaming/TV projector and my 9500 as my Movie/HD projector. God Bless the Orbiter.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
There is a code for Halo to turn off the HUD, I have managed to burn the HALO hud into my 6PG blue tube, it is slight but it is there. It is my backup burned machine that I use for gaming, and the contrast is set high.

So it is a risk, but it is not critical. If a game has a bright white HUD or similar that really doesn't change much, I'd be a little wary - a set of tubes could cost you more than a cheap digital to use for the gaming.

In reality though, if you keep the contrast down you are pretty right.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think the difference with MAME is that unlike Halo2 etc. you don't play just one game for up to 10hrs at a time...

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I think the best solution is to have an expendable gaming CRT projector :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
Yikes! I've already busted my budget with my 1252Q... I cannot afford another one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyhow, I'll see if I cannot lower my contrast. Looks like a common suggestion from everybody.

Thanks!

This forum kicks a** :)

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Well, you should be able to pick up a worn 12xx for a couple of hundred bucks. But I'd just run your current one into the ground first, then pickup an 8" EM unit in the future.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
Exactly what the 8111+ is for!

BTW I just picked up that 21" CRT Monitor for $75

Turns out it was manufactured in Sept 2000 and not 1997 like most of the ones I've been looking at. Good for me! A Pair of Mini Multimedia Speakers, and I'm almost set! (need a microphone for teamspeak!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.