AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a simple receiver for strictly my gaming computer.

Inputs = Optical/Mini

Output = 5.1 setup

Adjustments = Volume/bass/treble/balance

Is there anything out there like this? I'd like to put some of my old Klipsch loudspeakers together for a better gaming experience than the little $300 box PC audio systems have. I'd rather not have a huge A/V livingroom receiver to deal with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,416 Posts
How much do you want to spend? You really need a receiver that has a 5.1 discrete inputs as directsound supports individual inputs (I honestly think soundcards that do directsound to Dolby realtime encoding are nothing but a kludge- why bother with one more step?). So you just take the 5.1 outputs from your audiocard to your stereo and viola, 5.1 support (either that or if you can buy a ATI 5xxx videocard w/HDMI audio output, that should work too).

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
When you dealing with recievers under say $300, IMO a decent one would be an onkyo 507 in that price range. I have a friend who has one and it's actually pretty good for what he paied. I know you don't want something this big but it probably a better idea if you could live with it.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/18133798

When you dealing with recievers under say $300, IMO a decent one would be an onkyo 507 in that price range. I have a friend who has one and it's actually pretty good for what he paied. I know you don't want something this big but it probably a better idea if you could live with it.

I had an Onkyo 606 and it had lots of problems. There is a thread on this site with others having problems too. I don't know if the 507 had a similar design flaw.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/18136027

I had an Onkyo 606 and it had lots of problems. There is a thread on this site with others having problems too. I don't know if the 507 had a similar design flaw.

I've had my 606 since they were brand new, no problems at all.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/18136396

I've had my 606 since they were brand new, no problems at all.

Not everyone has problems, but plenty do. Like I said go to the thread on this site and you'll see many many people with HDMI problems. Myself included. I'd recommend an Denon, but that's just me.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
I'm assuming they have it fixed in the 07's. I have a 607 as well my friend has and 507 with no issues. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, it sucks when you get a lemon lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.