AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must have a gaming(XBox/NGC/PS2) monitor/or HDTV for my small den and my 2 choices are:

(Note: This will be strickly a gaming only display)

1) The Nextvision6(list $399) and a 22" PC Monitor($300).

or

2) Samsung's 2796/2797 27" HDTV (with built in line doubler and 2 component 480i/48p/720p/1080i) inputs.

Personally i would rather go with the Nextvision6 and Monitor as my eyes can handle a pc monitor much easier then a TV.

(btw: if i had a choice, i prefer a 22" over a 27" display, as i'm used to smaller displays)

However i'm also worried about image quality.

For instance, most PS2 games are 480i(or 448i) and i'm wondering which line doubler would be better?

And bout the XBox games..most of which are 480p, i'm wondering if the Nextvision6 will give as good quality(or better) as the HD component input of the Samsung.

I know the Nextvision6 is not due out till later this month, but i'm still wondering if anyone can add some insight here:

Which way shoud i go here?

TIA

Philip O.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd go with the 27" Samsung...

by the way, what kind of 22" monitor could you get for $300? Sounds kind of low for a monitor that size.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
If the 22" monitor is one of those mammoth computer monitor tubes that has less than 0.30mm dot pitch, I'd go for the 22" since it will make a much superior computer desktop display.

However, if it's instead a small TV style tube (0.60mm or bigger dot pitch) then you might as well go for the 27" which will have better image quality.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilipO38

And bout the XBox games..most of which are 480p, i'm wondering if the Nextvision6 will give as good quality(or better) as the HD component input of the Samsung.
Can the NextVision take 480p on it's component input? If not, then the image quality will be noticably reduced by having to deinterlace the 480i rather then getting native 480p.

How far are you going to be sitting from the monitor/tv? 27" is too big if you are going to be right on top of it. And scan lines will be noticable with 480 lines on a 27 inch if you are pretty close. It won't be an issue with the monitor because you'd scale to something higher res.

And Mark's question is a very important one.

-Dylan

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Rejhon
If the 22" monitor is one of those mammoth computer monitor tubes that has less than 0.30mm dot pitch, I'd go for the 22" since it will make a much superior computer desktop display.

However, if it's instead a small TV style tube (0.60mm or bigger dot pitch) then you might as well go for the 27" which will have better image quality.
Sorry about the price, they do run about $500 or so. And i'm not sure if i'll go that 22" route, as a 19" may just due the job fine.(I'm used to a 20" Tau ,anyway).

So if i do..with the 19", a .25 or so dot pitch is what i'll be looking at.

My main concern is my eyes, as for some unknown reason SDTV's make my sleepy within the first hr, while a monitor never does. Maybe it's the refresh rate or the interlace or maybe SDTV's have a higher contrast.., whatever it is, i cannot enjoy my consoles on my 20" Tau.

I tried again today(for the GOD knows 50+ time), and again i was sleepy within the first hr, and sleeping within the first 3hrs(and this was 3hrs after a full nights sleep). That never happens on my pc monitor, in fact it never happened when i had my Dreamcast hooked up to my monitor via a Naki VGA adapter.

Now i'm not sure, maybe the 27" HDTV will be the answer or maybe not, the trouble i'm not sure if i wish to take that chance, and have to return it back to the store.(i have a midsize car with no hatchback).

The only way the 27" HDTV will be the answer is if this eye stuff is about the interlace(which is not even that noticable via component inputs) on the 20" Tau. But i'm really doubting it.

Plus this den is pretty tiny(12' * 8' or so), so a 27" HDTV would feel a bit too out of place.

So these are the reasons i'm looking into any which way to throw my XBox/PS2 on a 19" pc monitor.

I figured the Nextvision6 was the best answer and maybe the only answer, as far a component inputs are concerned.

(btw:There is a good VGA adapter at XBoxVGA.com for about $70, however i also need a good VGA adapter for my PS2 and in the future a possible NGC).

Thanks again for any help here.

Philip O.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Can the NextVision take 480p on it's component input? If not, then the image quality will be noticably reduced by having to deinterlace the 480i rather then getting native 480p.

How far are you going to be sitting from the monitor/tv? 27" is too big if you are going to be right on top of it. And scan lines will be noticable with 480 lines on a 27 inch if you are pretty close. It won't be an issue with the monitor because you'd scale to something higher res.

And Mark's question is a very important one.

-Dylan"

From what i read the Nextvision 6 can take a 480p input, as i believe it's a multi component input 480i,480p,720p,1080.(simular to the Samsung HDTV's).

I'll be sitting about 4-6 feet away, and if it's a 27", most likely 6-7 feet constantly. For some reason i had a 27" TV a couple yrs back and my eyes simply could not handle it since if i sat some 8+ feet away i can't read the text crisply and if it sat closer, then it's too large of a display for my eyes too handle.(yea, my eyes are messed up. It's a one-in a million thing)

Also there was problems viewing it for more then 2-3 hrs in which right after it made me sleep for 10+ hrs night(usually i sleep only 7-8).

The 27" Samsung is a very nice HDTV and it's progressive image is flicker free(something i love), however my target TV is about a 20-24" tv, and there are none available(crt wise).

That reason alone is why i must go the 19"(or even 17" monitor) and Nextvision6 way. I'm so bigtime frustrated now that if the Nextvision6 does not hit local retail stores(B.Buy,Comp USA..ect) by XMas, i'm picking up a VB50 for $130,instead.(until the Nextvision6 arrives in stores).

There is just something about tv's that have always made me sleepy and i must stay away from them as much as possible.

(I hate my eye condition,as it has ruined my life in so many ways it's simply mindboggling)

Thanks for the reply back and any more help here.

Philip O.

Philip O.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

Try testing a display that doesn't even have a refresh rate at all. (i.e. continuous emission display)

For example, plasma displays, LCD televisions, LCD flat panel computer monitors, LCD projectors, DILA projectors, etc.

They do have "internal refresh rates" per se. But their pixels are always-on on the destination display, with no intervals of flicker. So to your eyes, for all practical purposes, they don't have a refresh rate at all.

Sometimes flicker at different speeds affect the brain - certain flicker frequencies can have different effect on people.

So please try out a display that has no refresh as far as your eyes are concerned (Plasma, LCD, DILA). (Maybe HD2 DLP too, but they have high frequency flicker at the pixel level, but they could be trialled too.)

These display do wonders for some people with eye conditions with flicker, so they should be trialled if you can afford any one of them;

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I had to choose between those two, I would go the monitor route, simply because my friend got the Samsung 27" for the purpose of using it with his XBox and found that it only supports 480i/480p and 1080i, no 720p! :-(

This is significant because most of the future HD games for the XBox will support this resolution. Already, 2 out of the 3 titles that are HD (I mean above 480p) use 720p (Tony Hawk 4 and Street Hoops), and only Dragon's Lair 3D is 1080i.

It always pays to double check the specs of the TV you're buying and make sure that it supports the input format you want...

A good place for more information are the xboxhacker.net forums; they have a VGA forum where I've found a lot of good info...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, much thanks for the reply back and info.

Iv'e tried the LCD's(in store) and for some reasons most gave my eyes even more problems, especially Sony's 17" Widescreen PED. This LCD backlight is extremely bright(contrast is 500:1) and on it's default(5 of 10) setting, it gave me some sort of heavy drowsy type eye tireness. Samsung's 150MP in comparision was not nearly as eye tirsome however it's brightness left alot to be desired(

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"I would go the monitor route

If I had to choose between those two, I would go the monitor route, simply because my friend got the Samsung 27" for the purpose of using it with his XBox and found that it only supports 480i/480p and 1080i, no 720p! :-( "

Wow, you know in dozens of times of reading it's specs i had never noticed it does only says 480i/480p/1080i..but no 720p.

I really like these tv's alot, however i don't think i could risk spending $800 or so on the 27" 2797, when i have to be worried it does not accept 720p for possible late 03' and future XBox games.

In fact even with only 2-3 games out that can display in 720p, i can't risk my first HDTV to not have 720p, especially when i'll be keeping it for 3-5yrs(from main set in L.Room then secondary in bedroom) .

I think i'll call Samsung to clarify this, because i'm baffled as to why they can add 1080i without 720p.

Thanks so much,

Philip O.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not sure why they don't support the 720p, but what's even more amazing is that they're advertising this TV in XBox magazine.

I predict that 1 year from now, 75% of the XBox titles will support 720p, 20% will only support 480p, and only 5% or so will support 1080i. This is just a WAG (wild ass guess), but I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that 720p is the easiest HD resolution to support because it's very close to 1024x768 and can be easily rendered at a decent framerate by the Nvidia graphics chip in the XBox.

It really blows my mind to think that Samsung advertises this TV in XBox magazine, and it probably won't even support 75% of the future games that are coming out. I call that deceptive advertising, because most people buying it won't even realize that it doesn't support it until they get it home and are dissapointed.

Tony Hawk 4 and Street Hoops both look gorgeous on my 40" Sony in 720p mode. I've been trying to find a copy of Dragons Lair 3D, but Best Buy didn't carry it yet when I checked. I definitely want to see what the first 1080i game looks like.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Used Sony 21" monitors can be had for as little as 350$, would make a great combo with one of those nextvisions i think. Anyone know how these nextvisions hold up against dscaler with a bt878 card for 480i deinterlacing on a 1080i tv?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.