AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally decided to upgrade my HTPC and turn it into a HTPC gaming machine.
Built it using a mixture of MIR, eBay, Craig list parts.

I modified the 5.25 plate to mount the IR receiver and Xbox gaming receiver behind it. The adapters hook up to two internal USB ports. Picture of how it turned out is attached. I can do a writeup on to take apart the adapters and how to modify a plate or case if there is interest.

Fractal Design 1100 case - $25
Corsair 450W Modular Bronze 80+ PSU - $25
Asus B85M-E/CSM motherboard - $50
Intel i3 4130T 2.9ghz - $100
MSI R9 270X Gaming ITX - $100
Crucial 1600Mhz DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) - $55
Hauppauge 2250 WinTV - $75
Win8.1 Pro w/ MC - $20 (dreamspark)
OCZ 240GB Arc SSD - $45
WD Red 3TB - $110
Lenovo IR RC6 receiver - $10
Xbox 360 gaming receiver - $10
2 port USB to Internal header -$6

Total: $631

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would recommend getting a quad-core instead of that dual. You will need to upgrade the dual core in the not-so-distant future, I suspect.

Also, make sure you get a legit wireless 360 receiver. I've gotten two of the knockoffs (one was by accident), and they both didn't work. Some may say that picking a different driver will work, but not for Win8.1, my friend. The bottom of the dongle says "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows", not "PC Wireless Gaming Receiver".

You get the Media Center add-on for free through Dreamspark? That's cool! I had to pay $10 or whatever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would recommend getting a quad-core instead of that dual. You will need to upgrade the dual core in the not-so-distant future, I suspect.

Also, make sure you get a legit wireless 360 receiver. I've gotten two of the knockoffs (one was by accident), and they both didn't work. Some may say that picking a different driver will work, but not for Win8.1, my friend. The bottom of the dongle says "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows", not "PC Wireless Gaming Receiver".

You get the Media Center add-on for free through Dreamspark? That's cool! I had to pay $10 or whatever.
Well I purposely bought the i3. I have an i5 in my desktop and honestly that games I play I don't really see a difference between the two.
And yes the receiver is genuine. I've had it for awhile and it installs the Microsoft drivers automatically. The trick for the most part is to buy from auctions that have the Microsoft disc with them, and usually they are listed as "genuine".

MC was free for the first year Windows 8 came out... Yes yes I know...I adopted early and love Windows 8.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.