Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Running WinXP home.

I rip my DVDs to my media server and find it very convenient. I was wondering if I could do the same thing with my games?

What software would I use to rip and what would I use to mount? I used to do this with IMSI's CD Copier under WinME, but it's not WinXP compatible.

TIA.

·
Registered
440 Posts
you can do this by creating disk images of the games with Alchol 120% - it rips games and mounts them to a virtual drive... also with a modchip, harddrive and an xbox this is possible too, and highly recommended. check out www.xbox-scene.com for more info on that.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks switzch,

Any idea what's the difference between Alcohol 120% and Alcohol 52%? Also, are there any freeware tools like there are for DVDs?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have no idea what the difference is.. my guess would be 52% is a scaled down version with not as many advanced features.

Im not sure if there are freeware programs, games have copy protection built in to avoid copying the contents to disk and alchchol 120% does a nice job of getting around this. Although games without copy protection would work with a simple virtual drive program of which im sure there are some free ones.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Got another suggestion. While you can rip copies of the CD's, this just takes up extra space for almost every game. Most games copy everything to the hard drive with a full install. It just wants the CD to confirm you own it. I have found a site that has no-CD patches. (Entirely legal regardless of what the game companies say.) Just realize that most times they have to be changed when the game is patched. I have found no-CD patches for almost every game I own. The only exception being Jedi Academy after it is patched, but I have an image of this that automatically loads into Daemon Tools (by use of a little program called DaeomonScript) when I click the icon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.