AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm new to the whole high-def thing, so I had a few questions I'd like to clarify. First off, I'm looking for a 32" LCD TV that will be used primarily with my PS3. My budget is roughly $1500 CAD. Best Buy has a decent selection of TVs here:

bestbuy.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?catid=23244&mfr=&logon=&langid=EN&sort=3&page=0&list=

1) I know that for regular TV viewing, 1080p on a 32" screen doesn't make much of a difference. However, would 1080p be better for gaming?

2) If 720p is the right option for me, what TV would you recommend, keeping in mind that it will be used for gaming? The only criteria as of now are: no noticable ghosting, $1500 CAD max, at least 1 HDMI port, and a 32" screen. A computer input would be a bonus, since I do watch some video from my computer. I was looking at the Sony KDL-32S2400 (URL below). Any suggestions?

bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10082034&catid=23244

3) I notice a lot of "720p" screens are really 1366x768. Will this have any negative impact? Would it blurr games and other 720p things?

I know I'm asking for a lot of info, but I'd really appreciate it. I'm new to all of this and I don't want to end up with a TV I don't like.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i would avoid the 1366x788 resolution. native 720p to native 720p is always the best, IMO.

for 32" do they even make those 1080p? I'd say not, go with 720, and get yourself a better tv. for that size screen, 720 will look amazing. sony is great, toshiba is as well. i'd avoid westinghouse if this is a ps3 primary tv, as they have handshake issues, that hopefully will be resolved with this year's models. i would also avoid samsung, as they have weird video processing that sometimes causes ghosting.

for 32" and your budget, 720, i don't see how you can go wrong with either toshiba or sony. you'll be very happy!

just a tip, you can get incredibly mired in reading all the massive threads on tv's here. something to rememebr. someone will always have had a problem with and/or hate a particular product. people get panicky when they read about some of the issues a FEW of some of the models have had. electronics have a failure rate, they always have, it's just how it is. keep that in mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Charlie97L.

There's at least one 1080p 32" screen (Sharp Aquos LC32D62U):
bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10085435&catid=23244

I was looking for an actual 720p screen, but all of them are 1366 x 768. Even the Sony Bravias. Is there a specific TV you know of with a true 720p resolution?

The more and more I think about it (without considering resolution at all), the more and more I gravitate towards the Panasonic TC32LX700. With its supposedly high-quality panel and fast refresh rate, it seems like it would fit my needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.