AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies...I didn't realize there was almost an exact thread going over what I am asking. Almost too much info here sometimes, things get lost. Again, my apologies.

I am looking at getting a new TV (the convergence IC's are going on my RPCRT). The wife has ultimately decided that she likes the picture on the Plasmas the best. Granted, this is viewing in a store environment (Costco), but that is all we have to go on for right now, considering we don't know anybody with a large screen plasma or LCD (except my parents...42" LG LCD).

The kicker is that I do game. Not necessarily a lot, but not sparingly either. Currently, I am not gaming much at all because of my 2-month old, but that may change. I would say I game 5-15 hours a week on my XBox. The rest of my gaming is on my computer. DVD's would warrant similar concern due to the black bars.

My big worry is about burn-in. I have heard various things about Plasma and burn-in. Some posts saying it is a big problem, some saying it really isn't burn-in any more, but more image retention. Some saying after the first 100 hours it isn't as big of a deal, and reports of burn-in are vastly overstated and talked about but not actually showing its face. I have a feeling I know the kind of answers I'm going to get, but how susceptable to burn-in are plasmas?

Would I really just be better off with LCD? The wife doesn't like the picture as much, but ultimately doesn't care. She says it looks more washed out and fuzzy. To me, I seem to see something like pixelization more on LCD's when there is a pan across the screen, or fast action. The LG that my parents have shows this situation a lot, and I don't really care for it. I suppose it could be their crappy cable service, but I would like some other opinions on it.

The primary models I am looking at:

Plasma: Visio VP50

LCD: Visio GV42L, Sceptre X42GV-Komodo

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvarr /forum/post/0

I am looking at getting a new TV (the convergence IC's are going on my RPCRT). The wife has ultimately decided that she likes the picture on the Plasmas the best. Granted, this is viewing in a store environment (Costco), but that is all we have to go on for right now, considering we don't know anybody with a large screen plasma or LCD (except my parents...42" LG LCD).

The kicker is that I do game. Not necessarily a lot, but not sparingly either. Currently, I am not gaming much at all because of my 2-month old, but that may change. I would say I game 5-15 hours a week on my XBox. The rest of my gaming is on my computer. DVD's would warrant similar concern due to the black bars.

My big worry is about burn-in. I have heard various things about Plasma and burn-in. Some posts saying it is a big problem, some saying it really isn't burn-in any more, but more image retention. Some saying after the first 100 hours it isn't as big of a deal, and reports of burn-in are vastly overstated and talked about but not actually showing its face. I have a feeling I know the kind of answers I'm going to get, but how susceptable to burn-in are plasmas?

Would I really just be better off with LCD? The wife doesn't like the picture as much, but ultimately doesn't care. She says it looks more washed out and fuzzy. To me, I seem to see something like pixelization more on LCD's when there is a pan across the screen, or fast action. The LG that my parents have shows this situation a lot, and I don't really care for it. I suppose it could be their crappy cable service, but I would like some other opinions on it.

Thanks in advance!

There is not a "simple and quick" answer to your questions, but let me try to summarize as best I can, as a recent plasma purchaser:

1) Yes you can still get IR (and even Burn in if you try very, very hard)

2) IR can be nearly eliminated as a potential problem with some common sense and patience during the first month of ownership

3) People that are deathly afraid of IR might be better off buying an LCD if every time they play that is all they obsess about, but my guess is motion blur, washed out picture, and limited sweet spot for gaming would bring them to plasma eventually.

4) There are literally over 20 threads in this forum and the Flat Panel forum debating the reality of IR, people's fears and experiences, and fanboys of both LCD and Plasma just because of gaming.

5) My personal advice: Your eyes are good, plasma does generate the best overall picture, most that still end up getting LCD is usually because of fear of excessive glare (not an issue in my opinion) and fear of IR/Burn In. Think for a bit for your real % of viewing.

If you watch movies 25%, TV 50% and game 25% and select LCD, in my opinion you have minimized your fear of IR, but are getting a substandard viewing experience 75% of the time. Couple that with Motion Blur, which kills the gaming experience, not as crisp of a picture, and lower black levels on LCD currently, and you are really having a substandard viewing experience 100% of the time.

Bottom line, plasma is the closest to CRT you are going to get, and I think with mixing your viewing content, changing the games you play, and not pausing the screen for multiple hours, after having used common sense for the first 200 hours, plasma is the best choice.

I am not discrediting those who claim to have broken in their plasma correctly and still got severe IR, but recently I read 10 more posts for people with no issues gaming, to those that had problems. And even in the event that you do get IR, it seems to be reversible with some diligence about 99.9% of the time.

Hope that helps, and welcome.

Doug

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just bought a Panasonic and past the 200 hr breakin period. Ive been gaming between 4-6 hrs straight with no image retention. Plasmas in the past had a real issue but I cant speak for all brands. A buddy of mine has IR with a new Samsung but he didnt let the tv break in for 200 hrs. I also know someone that has an offbrand Vizio and he hasnt had any issues yet. I would say game on

·
Registered
546 Posts
42" panasonic here. I really don't game that much but I have done about 4 hours straight here lately with rainbow six vegas. After I was done, when I turned off the 360 I could still see the outline of some objects on a blank screen.

This was in complete darkness however. If I turned on the light I couldn't see it. Also as soon as I switched to a full screen TV signal for a minute and turned back to the blank input it was all 100% completely gone. I have NEVER been able to see IR while watching TV whether it is in a bright room or a completely dark room. The ONLY time I have been able to see it is if I purposely look for it. ie, blank screen and in the dark.

I did do a proper break-in and I am beyond my 100hr mark now. So in my opinion as long as you do the beak-in. Burn-in is is a non-issue just as long as your not stupid with it. You will get some IR but it goes away in minutes.

·
Banned
117 Posts
As Doug stated earlier, once you are through the first 200 hours it will take some effort to burn in images on most plasma displays. Let the IR be your guide, and just balance your content between your gaming, letter boxed viewing and full screen viewing. And once you are beyond that break-in period it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat_Matt /forum/post/0

As Doug stated earlier, once you are through the first 200 hours it will take some effort to burn in images on most plasma displays. Let the IR be your guide, and just balance your content between your gaming, letter boxed viewing and full screen viewing. And once you are beyond that break-in period it shouldn't be an issue.

Any word on his family matters?

If you talk to him, tell him we wish him the best.

Thanks

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.