AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
It will be interesting to see what kind of improvements win7 will have once it gets a SP. It's just too bad I now officially hate xp after using win7 for a few months

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
i was a big vista user with it being on everything from my business laptop to my 3 home machines. I honestly never had many issues with it and used it since it's beta. Now I'm running windows 7, and honestly don't feel it's much different then Vista. It amazes me how people now seem to love Windows 7 but hated Vista. That's just a general statement and not directed at anyone here, I just find it funny.

As for gaming, about the same for me with a xfx xxx 4890 vid card. I run 64bit with 8gig ram.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The two things that stand out for me is that SLI/Crossfire does make a big difference while the extra RAM doesn't make any difference. As of now 64 bit OS's aren't really needed. At least for gaming.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel /forum/post/17028246

The two things that stand out for me is that SLI/Crossfire does make a big difference while the extra RAM doesn't make any difference. As of now 64 bit OS's aren't really needed. At least for gaming.

The extra RAM doesn't really make much difference in "in-game" performance. However, after changing from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM, alt-tabbing in and out of different software (especially games) is much much faster.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
I one of the ones that really loved xp. When vista came out I though "umm I'll wait until sp1 come out". Then the win7 train came to town, so I decided to wait. My GF's laptop has vista and it's fine, the only problem with that is... I hate freaking laptop touchpads arghhhh!!!!

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
XP was great, glad it's gone though. Nearly 10 years later and it's still inconsistent and inefficient as ever.

Vista was like a beta that improved overtime. Within two years (give or take) Vista became a superior OS to XP. The kinks were worked out, drivers stabilized, performance improved, etc. Too bad it received so much negativity for those first few years and kept potential users away. It really is a great OS.. leading to..

7. Windows 7 is absolutely fantastic. You can tell they took all their good ideas from Vista and improved them, and then added in user feedback and suggestions plus other adjustments from in-house. If Vista was the beta, 7 is the RTM of Microsoft's vision of their future OS. I've been running the x64 version of 7 on my work PC since the official beta and have upgraded to RC and then did a full install for the RTM two weeks ago. Other than a few expected hiccups, it has ran absolutely flawlessly. There is nothing that would bring me back to XP.. especially since 7 has virtual XP support (which works well for anything not-resource intensive such as games or editing software). Also, the compatibility mode that 7 offers has worked 95% of the time without issue. It does have a familiarity with Vista, but it also stands on it's own.

There's really no reason to stick with XP with the exception of legacy apps\\hardware\\periphs or stubbornness. 7 is an improvement in practically every way.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will still maintain a dual boot with XP Pro and Win7 64 on two separate drives tho. Just do not 100% trust Win7 is going to to be 100% bug free for gaming.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/17061271

XP was great, glad it's gone though. Nearly 10 years later and it's still inconsistent and inefficient as ever.

Vista was like a beta that improved overtime. Within two years (give or take) Vista became a superior OS to XP. The kinks were worked out, drivers stabilized, performance improved, etc. Too bad it received so much negativity for those first few years and kept potential users away. It really is a great OS.. leading to..

7. Windows 7 is absolutely fantastic. You can tell they took all their good ideas from Vista and improved them, and then added in user feedback and suggestions plus other adjustments from in-house. If Vista was the beta, 7 is the RTM of Microsoft's vision of their future OS. I've been running the x64 version of 7 on my work PC since the official beta and have upgraded to RC and then did a full install for the RTM two weeks ago. Other than a few expected hiccups, it has ran absolutely flawlessly. There is nothing that would bring me back to XP.. especially since 7 has virtual XP support (which works well for anything not-resource intensive such as games or editing software). Also, the compatibility mode that 7 offers has worked 95% of the time without issue. It does have a familiarity with Vista, but it also stands on it's own.

There's really no reason to stick with XP with the exception of legacy apps\\hardware\\periphs or stubbornness. 7 is an improvement in practically every way.

Yes, and people had the honor of paying MS to own this beta program. And Windows 7 is now the end result of years of testing.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel /forum/post/17061728

Yes, and people had the honor of paying MS to own this beta program. And Windows 7 is now the end result of years of testing.

It ended up being money well spent, for the reasons I qualified later. They definitely shaped it up quite well.. More than they did for xp really. The beta comparison was more metaphorical than literal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.