AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be picking up a Sony 30" CRT (pretty sure it's the hs version) soon. I plan on hooking up my PC to play Street fighter 4 (very timing sensitive game) through HDMI.

I was wondering, will the conversion from the HDMI digital signal to the CRT analog image cause significant input delay? Or is that process pretty fast compared to things like upscaling that occur with LCD's and whatnot?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've used my 30SX955 with HDMI from both a PC and PS3, and have had practically no lag. Compared to my father's Toshiba LCD which i cannot comfortably play FPS's on. So yes, i think you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The digital processing will still add some degree of lag compared to an SD CRT or a CRT pc monitor. I've tested my xs955 against my old monitor and it was about a frame or two of input lag.

But a bonus is that you'll still have no response time lag or ghosting. Also, in some cases, you can bypass the digital processing in the service menu and pass a pure analog(lag free) signal. That's what I do with my xbox. Tested with zero lag! Just a thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty /forum/post/19586561

Also, in some cases, you can bypass the digital processing in the service menu and pass a pure analog(lag free) signal. That's what I do with my xbox. Tested with zero lag!

Analog over HDMI? Are you sure? Could you tell me which option in the service menu this is?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
..... Also, in some cases, you can bypass the digital processing in the service menu and pass a pure analog(lag free) signal. That's what I do with my xbox. Tested with zero lag! Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTFTW
Analog over HDMI? Are you sure? Could you tell me which option in the service menu this is?
The Sony crt sets will allow you to bypass the Multi-Image Driver (MID) processing for 1080i inputs only, by changing the service menu parameter HDPT (HD PassThrough) from 1 to 0. This has no effect on other input resolutions and it will have a noticable, but not necessarily bad, effect on PQ. There will still be some processing done by the internal HDMI to analog conversion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I will experiment with that setting later on, after I've taken a long look at the service menu thread. I know some of the other MID settings could lose video all together.

Since you seem to know a lot about this, do you know how much digital processing occurs with 480p signals coming through component?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, you can use hdmi to do this. I notice a faint scrolling line or something like that over hdmi though. I use component, while bypassing the digital processing.

This is while outputting 1080i with an XBOX 360. I prefer the more "monitor-like" look of the unprocessed signal and the lack of input lag is a big deal for us gamers.

Works great for streaming Netflix, as the TV is getting a 1080i signal via XBOX once again.

As raoulli said, the signal going into the TV must be 1080i. Otherwise the MID processing is involved.

BTW I cannot notice a PQ difference between hdmi and component.

I should also add that you will know when you are bypassing the digital processing because all of the menu displays will sort of smear and flicker. I've never noticed any problem due to this other than its a little hard to read. Just so you don't think you've broken something!

I think it may have something to do with the signal frequency changing?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
Yes, you can use hdmi to do this. I notice a faint scrolling line or something like that over hdmi though. I use component, while bypassing the digital processing.

This is while outputting 1080i with an XBOX 360. I prefer the more "monitor-like" look of the unprocessed signal and the lack of input lag is a big deal for us gamers.

Works great for streaming Netflix, as the TV is getting a 1080i signal via XBOX once again.

As raoulli said, the signal going into the TV must be 1080i. Otherwise the MID processing is involved.

BTW I cannot notice a PQ difference between hdmi and component.

I should also add that you will know when you are bypassing the digital processing because all of the menu displays will sort of smear and flicker. I've never noticed any problem due to this other than its a little hard to read. Just so you don't think you've broken something!

I think it may have something to do with the signal frequency changing?
No lag. I have a DVI to HDMI cable for my Samsung & Sony.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts