AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gamma has sort of got me a little perlexed. I know that calibrating Contrast, Brightness, grayscale has a affect on the Gamma. So, I went for 120cd/m2 when calibrating and I got pretty good delta E numbers in 80/30. Color calibration delta E averaged at 1.5. But, I found my blacks to be crushed. My set has a user menu setting Static Gamma which darkens the picture when adjusting to the left from center. I get crushed blacks even after the set has warmed up for an hour. This has been rumbling around in my frontal lobe, should brightness be on the higher end and static gamma be on the lower end?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Gamma has sort of got me a little perlexed. I know that calibrating Contrast, Brightness, grayscale has a affect on the Gamma. So, I went for 120cd/m2 when calibrating and I got pretty good delta E numbers in 80/30. Color calibration delta E averaged at 1.5. But, I found my blacks to be crushed. My set has a user menu setting Static Gamma which darkens the picture when adjusting to the left from center. I get crushed blacks even after the set has warmed up for an hour. This has been rumbling around in my frontal lobe, should brightness be on the higher end and static gamma be on the lower end?
so you have a meter and software?
I am confused about the last part of your post.
30/80? the IREs? for gray scale?
you need to run a 10-100 scale to see what gamma is running.
sounds like moving your slider left? increases the gamma.
yes, you need to put up the brightness pattern to see 16-17 level because changing gamma slider darkened the picture.

·
Registered
11,468 Posts
Gamma has sort of got me a little perlexed. I know that calibrating Contrast, Brightness, grayscale has a affect on the Gamma. So, I went for 120cd/m2 when calibrating and I got pretty good delta E numbers in 80/30. Color calibration delta E averaged at 1.5. But, I found my blacks to be crushed.

Did you adjust the Brightness such that the patterns at the lower end of the grey scale (17+) are visible? You need to do that before adjusting the gamma, and re-check it after adjusting gamma.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you have a meter and software?
I am confused about the last part of your post.
30/80? the IREs? for gray scale?
you need to run a 10-100 scale to see what gamma is running.
sounds like moving your slider left? increases the gamma.
yes, you need to put up the brightness pattern to see 16-17 level because changing gamma slider darkened the picture.
Yeah, got a Spyder4Pro, not to shabby. So now I understand that Gamma should be set after contrast, brightness, and any backlight adjustments. Cool.........is it weird that I find doing Display Calibrations fun?

·
Registered
11,468 Posts
So now I understand that Gamma should be set after contrast, brightness, and any backlight adjustments.
Gamma defines the shape of the curve between the black point and the white point. In order to calibrate gamma, those end points need to be set first (using Brightness, Contrast, Backlight).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts